THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 02-03-2018, 03:06 PM

I'm very close to cutting cable. Barely watch TV and still paying 100+ per month. Main reason I keep it is for the NFL Pass. I may have to just man up and research other options.

Old 02-03-2018, 03:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocktimusPryme View Post
I think Im going to call back in a week and see if they offer to send me a hooker.
Maybe they'll send 2 hookers, just in case one gets tired. They'd probably be cheaper than what it costs me for the worst hooker of all.... Comcast. LOL

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 02-04-2018, 01:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Dear Rock,

I went down to the cable store today after reading this thread.

I told the cox at Cox that I am tired of getting shafted. I told them that if I was stuck with getting Cox all day and night, at least I could get more bang for the buck, and that I was exploring something other than Cox. I have two cable boxes, and my boxes were really old. If I was gonna have Cox in my box, then we needed a more gentle solution.

He dropped $100 off my plan, and I will now have more features. I will spend less money for more Cox. That sounds like a win.

Squidward out.

Old 02-04-2018, 10:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Best post of the month

Simply hilarious!!!!

Old 02-07-2018, 12:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I dumped DirecTV about a year ago at the ranch and went with a Roku box, a Slingbox, and a high speed internet connection. There must be a bazillion apps on the Roku that you can choose to install, including ESPN, Netflix and even DirecTV Now. Some cost money but most are free. The Slingbox enables me to "sling" my UVerse TV from my home up to the ranch totally free. So, between the Roku and the Slingbox I am getting much more than I can ever watch, at little to no cost. Sure beat the $130 a month I was throwing away on the DirecTV.

Old 02-07-2018, 12:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecosbill View Post
I dumped DirecTV about a year ago at the ranch and went with a Roku box, a Slingbox, and a high speed internet connection. There must be a bazillion apps on the Roku that you can choose to install, including ESPN, Netflix and even DirecTV Now. Some cost money but most are free. The Slingbox enables me to "sling" my UVerse TV from my home up to the ranch totally free. So, between the Roku and the Slingbox I am getting much more than I can ever watch, at little to no cost. Sure beat the $130 a month I was throwing away on the DirecTV.
That's exactly what we are doing here, I just didn't explain it in great detail.. Works great!

Old 02-07-2018, 12:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT182 View Post
Maybe they'll send 2 hookers, just in case one gets tired. They'd probably be cheaper than what it costs me for the worst hooker of all.... Comcast. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidward View Post
Dear Rock,

I went down to the cable store today after reading this thread.

I told the cox at Cox that I am tired of getting shafted. I told them that if I was stuck with getting Cox all day and night, at least I could get more bang for the buck, and that I was exploring something other than Cox. I have two cable boxes, and my boxes were really old. If I was gonna have Cox in my box, then we needed a more gentle solution.

He dropped $100 off my plan, and I will now have more features. I will spend less money for more Cox. That sounds like a win.

Squidward out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulajones View Post
Best post of the month

Simply hilarious!!!!
Yep. Great stuff here!

Work
'67 GTO Convertible "Koerner Built 413 500 hp with a Victor!.. I'll run a stock intake."
'75 Formula 400 - Daily Driver -
Running with my Home Built 455 and TH400

Details here:
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=588372
Old 02-07-2018, 02:13 PM
Senior Chief

I'm waiting for that net "neutrality" thing to kick in...I have a feeling it's going to be a whole new feeding frenzy for the cable suppliers against the streaming content providers. One way or another, the cable companies are going to make some money on it and guess who picks up the bill.

Old 02-07-2018, 05:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Im glad some other people got some savings too. I hate to resort to strongarm tactics, but Ive paid those companies enough in my life so I dont feel bad. It also makes it easier that its just some faceless corporation.

https://www.youtube.com/@CatfishMotorsports
Old 02-07-2018, 06:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

How much do you guys pay for high speed internet and who provides it?

When I lived in the country there was no high speed internet. Anywhere.

Now where I live you get it but it's with your tv package or phone package.
(no just internet or it's just as expensive as cable tv)

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 02-07-2018, 08:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocktimusPryme View Post
Im glad some other people got some savings too. I hate to resort to strongarm tactics, but Ive paid those companies enough in my life so I dont feel bad. It also makes it easier that its just some faceless corporation.
Alright Rock, your next assignment should you choose to accept it is INSURANCE!

So did you take the job at Crane?

Old 02-07-2018, 09:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponchjoe View Post
Alright Rock, your next assignment should you choose to accept it is INSURANCE!

So did you take the job at Crane?
I DID! Start on the 26th, looking for houses now. I put mine up here for sale yesterday and already got an asking price offer. Traded in my C6 for a 4WD yesterday. Good deal on the truck, raked over the coals on the trade in. Dealers get their money either way.......

But on that note, I actually probably will go to war with American Modern soon. Like a month ago when I bought that 64 Galaxie, I jumped through hoops to take all the pictures they wanted in -15* only for them to tell me they wouldnt insure it because it was in a canvas carport and not a garage. Not, the premium is higher, straight up wont insure it. Pissed me off but good. I had already paid my quarter so Im letting it ride out, but between this episode and super restrictive driving rules on the Firebird I think Im going to jump ship to Hagerty. Ive read on here they let you drive it with fewer restrictions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ram.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	474916  

Old 02-07-2018, 10:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Couple notes on where things are going.
1. Wireless with a Wifi modem on the top of every telephone pole eventually. will be what we see. All will share and Streaming will be seamless., aside from your average hurricane interruptions. Probably a block payment for gigs you typically use. In Cities first, this system will be insanely fast.
2. Direct TV is trying hard to Bundle folks with AT&T . Even if you use both, they still want to bundle you. If you have a contract on your phone and bundled, you can just bend over, No complaining will discount. If you are Not Bundled you can get a year discount as has been mentioned here already.
3. AT&T & Direct TV = same company now if you didn't know. Back when the Bell system was broken up by the Govt into the 'baby bells" The NYNEX ( now version) got the communications end of the deal, and AT&T got all the land lines. Every verizon cell phone call that went through a land line somewhere AT&T got a share. Looks like AT&T might be able to get a share of this new super fast wireless network if on Telephone poles.

Old 05-08-2018, 03:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Bringing topic back up.
Anyone try a SkyWire TV Antenna?
Thinking of taking a chance on one...

http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/b...hop/?start=100
Old 05-08-2018, 05:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

No, but after reading thru this thread I feel like I am stuck in the middle of the cable rut. I have a bunch of cable boxes in my house, a couple with dvr option, and I pay a fortune every month. (too embarrassed to say how much). We have at least 2 tvs on all of the time and I know my wife cant live without it. I doubt I could either. My cable company is also the supplier of my internet and also the supplier of our landline telephone. Its a local phone company with a monopoly, but they do have good service.

Old 05-08-2018, 07:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I’m actually now getting bent over by Comcast to get Internet now that I moved to a more rural setting. Att serviced the house when when I moved in they said “they didn’t want new customers” and pulled my house from eligibility as soon as the previous owners canceled their internet.

So now Comcast is running it out to me to the tune of $5000. They are doing it for free but I have to sign up for an expensive package for 3 years.

I haven’t tried the service mentioned but a coworker just cut his cables and signed up for YouTube TV. 39 a month I think and he loves it. Lots of channels and gives him the local sports networks to watch the local teams.

Old 05-08-2018, 08:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I haven’t tried the service mentioned but a coworker just cut his cables and signed up for YouTube TV. 39 a month I think and he loves it. Lots of channels and gives him the local sports networks to watch the local teams.
But you would need internet service to use that?

Would have to get Comcast anyway?

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 05-08-2018, 09:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Region Warrior View Post
Bringing topic back up.
Anyone try a SkyWire TV Antenna?
Thinking of taking a chance on one...
To be clear, "HD antenna" is a misnomer since an antenna is an antenna, it doesn't know if the signal is HD or not. Television signals are sent out on UHF or VHF frequencies - these days most channels are on UHF but there are still some VHF channels depending on where you live. Just get the best antenna for the frequencies in your area.

Old 05-08-2018, 09:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnta1 View Post
But you would need internet service to use that?

Would have to get Comcast anyway?

You would still need internet but who gets rid of their internet? How would we watch funny videos of cats?

At any rate considering what cable/satellite companies have been doing for a decade or so where you get lured in with 6-12 months cheaply and then your rates explode or you get trapped into buying a ton of channels because they block them oddly so the channel you want comes with 50 you don’t. We aren’t talking about cutting everything here, only that there are more options than ever to tailor your package to your needs.

The coworker I’m question is lucky enough to have gigabit fiber available for about $65 a month. Cut his cable TV service which was like $120 and now pays $40 for YouTube TV instead.

Old 05-08-2018, 09:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Rock, yes American Modern requires a real garage that can be locked. I can understand that. I've been with them for 11 years this July. Wouldn't be with any other.

Side note.. a canvas carport isn't exactly the safest place to keep a classic car. Whether it be thieves or the weather you're protecting it from.

Now back to our most important topic at hand.... hookers. LOL

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.