67-69 Firebird TECH Includes 69 TA.

Old 02-05-2018, 07:44 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Fuses

Can I use a 15 amp instead of a 14 and a 6 instead of a 4?

Anyone sell a whole package to fill a standard optioned firebird fuse block?

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

Old 02-06-2018, 12:41 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Short answer. No you can't. You should never use a higher fuse the the circuit was designed for. Is 1 amp really going to make a difference, I dont know but why risk burning down your car.

Old 02-06-2018, 11:12 AM

I found a decent assortment from Amazon - https://smile.amazon.com/KOLACEN-Qui...lass+tube+fuse

There are many different sets available if you run a search.

Old 02-06-2018, 04:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You can always use a lesser amp rated fuse & be safe. I would use caution if going to a higher rated amp fuse. As an example the reproduction printed circuits that are sold for '68 and UP GM Pontiac A body cars and 1970 and up F body cars. The copper those are made from is less than 1/2 the thickness of the original GM part.

In cases where I replace the dash PC with a new one I always tell my customers to find and pull the "gauges" fuse and replace it with one of at least 50% lesser amps rating. Otherwise in case of a short the fuse will not pop the new PC melts a copper strand. At $80 to $90 a PC that's an expensive fuse!

Old 02-09-2018, 07:47 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Serio View Post
You can always use a lesser amp rated fuse & be safe. I would use caution if going to a higher rated amp fuse. As an example the reproduction printed circuits that are sold for '68 and UP GM Pontiac A body cars and 1970 and up F body cars. The copper those are made from is less than 1/2 the thickness of the original GM part.

In cases where I replace the dash PC with a new one I always tell my customers to find and pull the "gauges" fuse and replace it with one of at least 50% lesser amps rating. Otherwise in case of a short the fuse will not pop the new PC melts a copper strand. At $80 to $90 a PC that's an expensive fuse!
Peter,

I find your advise to be interesting. Have you actually had a repop printed circuit fry? I've been in the electrical / electronics / controls industry for many years, both in engineering and marketing. Years ago we designed things so they could handle several times the rated load. Today of course we design things much closer to what they are actually rated. No doubt the earlier equipment was better from a current handling standpoint, but it often wasn't necessary.

If you tell me you have witnessed a burn up, then I too will be wary of these printed circuits and question whether the traces were designed for the load.. If not, I'm wondering if it's really an issue or it was just designed to handle the proper load rather than over designed.

Either way, I still like your advice of undersizing the fuse. If you undersize and have no problems, you have lost nothing. If you undersize a small amount and do blow the fuse, it tells me that you have a circuit to pay attention to.

Of course....... there is the topic of slow blow fuses, but I'll let that go for now.

Regards,
OJ