THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 02-18-2018, 03:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default If You Think Some Foods We Eat Are Strange.......

then check this out. Some sound good but most are just downright nasty.

"30 Strangest Fast Food Offerings Ever"

http://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddrin...d=iehp#image=1

Very few sound good, I said very few, but most are just downright nasty.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 02-18-2018, 04:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Gary, I eaten stuff that was weirder, but I draw the line at consuming squid ink.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 02-18-2018, 04:44 PM

Squid ink isn't all that bad if done correctly ala spaghetti al nero di seppia. I really didn't read anything on that list that was a no-go. Though I've eaten fruit bat and dined in outdoor markets in Thailand so my list of no-go foods is pretty short.

Old 02-18-2018, 06:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

After spending almost two years in the orient courtesy of the old dude with the white whiskers; I don't really want anything else to do with squid! No offense to anyone that likes it, I did not.

And while I have never tried it, chocolate chicken doesn't sound good (but then chicken is not one of my personal favorites). If you are wondering why, try growing up on a farm, and having to feed the chickens after a rainstorm. Believe it or not, they smell worse than a diesel truck! That odor stays with you for a lifetime (of course, turkeys are worse!). Really sounds like a complete waste of good chocolate!

The rest of the items didn't sound that bad, and have actually prepared several of them.

Jon.

"The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one given to you by your neighbor".

If you truly believe that "one size fits all" try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Owner of The Carburetor Shop, LLC (of Missouri).

Current caretaker of the remains of Stromberg Caburetor, and custodian of the existing Carter and Kingston carburetor drawings.
Old 02-18-2018, 08:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've had calamari.... good and bad. The good was really good... it was cooked right and wasn't like a piece of leather. As for squid ink.. no thanks.

The Doritos pizza didn't sound bad. The burger and shrimp didn't sound too bad, but I rather just have the shrimp. There was a restaurant up in Champlain, NY that served deep fried shrimp patties... made like a burger but the shrimp were small and weren't ground up. Loved them but after a while they couldn't get them, as the place they got them from quit making them.

Gary
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Old 02-18-2018, 11:45 PM

Deep fried salmon has been made here in Astoria Or, for years. It's excellent! I'm a fairly picky eater, but several of these sound pretty good.

Old 02-18-2018, 11:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevymad View Post
Deep fried salmon has been made here in Astoria Or, for years. It's excellent!
Yeah it des sound good. Must be like fish and chips that uses artic cod. I got to Red Robin a lot. In the 12 years I've been here in DE there's only once that I haven't ordered their Beer Battered Artic Cod. And that was for their deep fried shrimp. Prices have gone up and the size of the cod smaller, but to me it's still the best meal they sell. It's almost as good as the beer battered perch we used to eat up north at restaurants on NY's side of Lake Champlain from Plattsburgh north to the Canadian border.

So next time use a beer batter on that salmon.

Gary
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Old 02-19-2018, 12:24 AM

One of the local breweries sells fish & chips. You can get salmon, tuna, halibut or cod. Everywhere else I always get halibut, but I get the salmon there. Wife likes tartar sauce with it, I like the cocktail sauce. There's also an old gillnet boat setup downtown where they sell fish &chips.. but tuna only. Place usually has a line. Long enough I haven't tried it yet. All of its beer battered of course! Another favorite from childhood his beer battered sturgeon. Harder to get now days though.

Old 02-19-2018, 01:07 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Beer batter is good... but have you tried pancake batter???

I went on a fishing trip to Alaska and came home with a ton of halibut- wife is from east TX and she fries shrimp in a cake batter so..... she cut it in chunks and fried it. Damn it was good!

Old 02-19-2018, 05:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Oh Boy, I was in Rome just on 4 years ago. Delayed flight back to Dubai so I went looking for something to eat in the airport. Found a McDonalds (not impressed but it was close to my departure gate), and I saw those Spinach & Parmesan nuggets.

They were the BEST fast food thing I've ever eaten. Never seen them since. Certainly not here in Oz.

Old 02-19-2018, 11:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Some interesting things, but nothing compared to things I ate while in China. Some of that stuff was still alive when I ate it.

Old 02-19-2018, 02:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I had jellyfish tentacles while in Japan. They boil them to remove most of the venom but some remains. I thought it was pasta and took a double helping. My host stopped me and advised "jerryfish ... too much not good." My mouth was numb after a couple bites. He was right. Ate cuttlefish and that Osaka favorite fast food ... octopus dumplings. Balls of deep fried batter with diced octopus chunks in it. People walked around eating them like we eat French fries.

Old 02-20-2018, 12:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Had lobster sashimi in Japan. The lobster was so fresh it tried to crawl away halfway through dinner. Waiter swooped in and put it back.

Some of those in the article look good, but it's mostly salty fast food.

Last edited by fiedlerh; 02-20-2018 at 12:09 AM.
Old 02-20-2018, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1965gp View Post
Beer batter is good... but have you tried pancake batter???

When we cooked sturgeon we'd mix krusteaz and beer for the batter.

Old 02-20-2018, 11:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Beer batter and deep frying would make an old boot edible.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 02-20-2018, 01:25 PM

When I was in China, the McDonalds had shrimp flavored ice cream. The most disgusting thing that is a delicacy in China is the sea cucumber (looks like a pickle with puss yellow runny goo inside).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cucumber2.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	476090