EFI Tech All things EFI and making classics modern!

Old 03-14-2018, 06:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCSGTO View Post
https://www.summitracing.com/oh/part...0008/overview/
It has the fuel capacity for 800HP but uses the same throttle body size as the popular 600HP systems which some claim flow 800-900 cfm. I doubt it would make as much power as a properly sized carb.
These FI systems are tempting for me but the speed they are progressing at makes them obsolete quickly. I’m waiting for something that flows more air.I don’t see why they can’t make a larger 4150 throttle body since you don’t need a Venturi to speed up the air and pull fuel from a booster.
Thanks for that,

I don't know why my searches didn't bring that up before.

I agree, these things are progressing fast, seems you don't have to wait long for the latest and greatest.

Old 03-14-2018, 08:01 PM
Senior Chief

Thanks for the update. I asked this question before but it never got answered maybe no one knew. Reading the manual from Holley it reads it has to be a known good engine. But Can this unit be used to start up a fresh rebuilt engine or do I have to install a carb and break in the cam. then change it over?

Any help is appreciated.

Jeff

Old 03-14-2018, 10:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My machinist is breaking my engine in on a stand with a carb and an HEI before turning it over to me to be converted to the sniper and the Hall effect distributor. I suppose you could set the startup idle at 2000 rpm but that doesn’t sound like a good idea to me especially since it won’t be in learning mode till it reaches at least 160 degrees.

Old 03-15-2018, 08:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffs64Cat View Post
Thanks for the update. I asked this question before but it never got answered maybe no one knew. Reading the manual from Holley it reads it has to be a known good engine. But Can this unit be used to start up a fresh rebuilt engine or do I have to install a carb and break in the cam. then change it over?

Any help is appreciated.

Jeff
I would eliminate as many variables as possible to focus on the break in. I used a known good carb/mech fuel pum, and ignition system to do my break in, and then went for the efi install. I wouldn't want my computer stuck in school mode while my engine is at a critical phase.

Old 03-15-2018, 12:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Squid, there are ways to go in and adjust the fuel enrichment at different areas in the curve. There are tweaks that can be done. There's some sort of a hold off for if the AC is on. I just have to do more homework at find the right one. Someone suggested that the dist springs might be to tight and screwing with the timing. Possible I suppose. Now that the unit is up and running I think I'll jump into the next step and hook up the timing control. Everyone says it makes a big difference. We'll see. The adventure continues...

Jeff, I'm sure you could use it on a break in but there are so many things that need to happen that I would think it would be best to use a known good carb for break in. Even the stupidest thing could make it a very frustrating ordeal. Something like after I got everything installed on this motor and it wouldn't start. Turned out the coil went bad just sitting there. If this would've been a fresh rebuild I'd have been cranking and cranking while I tried to figure it out. Not good. Besides, think about all the crap that is in the engine upon start up after a rebuild. chances are you're going to destroy a brand new 02sensor and those things are not cheap. It's like they tell you to install it without timing control first and let it settle in and then swap it over. You don't want too many unknowns at once. You'll end up chasing your tail.

69 Firebird-462/Edel round ports/currently running the Holley Sniper/4sp/3.23posi/Deluxe Int/pwr st/vintage air/4wl disc( a work in progress-always )

http://youtu.be/eaWBd3M9MN4

Last edited by Firebob; 03-15-2018 at 12:18 PM.
Old 03-15-2018, 12:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to JLMounce

Yup, Firebob is correct on all accounts. You "can" break in a new motor with one of these units, but you better be 3000% sure it was installed correctly and all it's supporting items are in place and aren't going to give you any headaches. That's a recipe to wipe a lobe.

If you're confident your install is correct, your fuel system is correct and it's going to run 100% on the first startup, have at it. There's just a lot more complexity with these then a carb and mechanical pump, so there's more chance for the human factor to show up.

Old 03-15-2018, 09:11 PM
Senior Chief

Thanks guys for the info. I’m putting on the carb and breaking it in right then going to the Sniper EFI. I appreciate the input.

Old 03-15-2018, 11:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLMounce View Post
Yup, Firebob is correct on all accounts. You "can" break in a new motor with one of these units, but you better be 3000% sure it was installed correctly and all it's supporting items are in place and aren't going to give you any headaches. That's a recipe to wipe a lobe.

If you're confident your install is correct, your fuel system is correct and it's going to run 100% on the first startup, have at it. There's just a lot more complexity with these then a carb and mechanical pump, so there's more chance for the human factor to show up.
For sure. I am doing my 2nd FiTech right now, and even tho I feel very confident on this one, I would still probably do a fresh engine break in with a carb to keep it simple before I made it complex. It slightly alleviates some small bit of break in pucker factor.