THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 03-20-2018, 10:23 AM

Talking Trophy Tuesday..

Anyone else take your cars to shows? I do many events each year, some offer awards, some Don’t. We never restored our cars for shows specifically, but they just seem to be a favorite at many events. I’m NOT a trophy hunter, to me it’s about the hobby, having an appreciation for cars of the past, and keeping people interested in automotive history. Especially kids, my goals are more dedicated to what once was, and will never be again. The designs, the body styles, the paints, the power plants under the hoods. I specifically like a factory stock car. But appreciate the up dates and customization that some prefer. So Mike had an idea to display the awards and built me a wall. These are a few awards, I’ve donated a lot over the years to kids events, like midget racing, go kart racing etc. all they need to do is change the plaquards, and the kids can get an award. I do have many plaques also, but won’t put holes in my walls to hang them. So here are a few awards my car has won. Some are special, First place at Nationals, and best GM car at a concourse show, dealers choice, and best in show. This car took us 13 years to collect factory parts, and restore.

Take a look at my you tube video, to see why BIGDADDY catches the eye.

And let’s see your awards.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	38C24061-5B68-479D-88DF-25E9768EA442.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	478531  

~MaryAnn~ AKA "Stickybuns"
1969 Firebird 400 Convertible
1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

I'm the FiredUp PY bad girl
Old 03-20-2018, 12:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have a couple. It's cool for us to be recognized for the work we put in our cars, but I really don't care if I win anything or not. I've seen how some people can act when it comes to winning trophies, and it's not pleasant.

That said, the ones I've received were nice. It's cool when the trophy is determined by other show attenders. You know, that whole judged by a jury of your peers thing.

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
Old 03-20-2018, 12:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Nice. The ones I have, and I'm not a fan of dust catchers, are scattered all around the house and garage. Someday I'll get them all together for a photo.... but not today. It's too crappy out side to play around in this snow.

Here's a show you and Mike need to come to Delaware for MaryAnn. IMO it's the best car shows of the year. Not real big but there's room for everyone... if there's isn't enough room they'll make room.

Posted in the Northeast Car Show section....
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...46#post5860746

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 03-20-2018, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72projectbird View Post
I have a couple. It's cool for us to be recognized for the work we put in our cars, but I really don't care if I win anything or not. I've seen how some people can act when it comes to winning trophies, and it's not pleasant.

That said, the ones I've received were nice. It's cool when the trophy is determined by other show attenders. You know, that whole judged by a jury of your peers thing.

Yeah I don’t like it when people act like idiots or spoiled children when they don’t win a plastic trophy lolol . One guy I know has a Camaro, We were at a show for children with Cancer. This guy won a third place, walked up to get it then threw it in the trash can next to the trophy table. maybe I shouldn’t have said anything, but when he walked past me I called him an ASS. People like that take the fun out of shows. If I don’t win, I still clap for others and congratulate them. I’m proud when my cars get acknowledgement, but it’s not the reason I attend. I get to see people like you Gary who I only see once a year, and the reason for the show like Cancer especially Children are the reason most times.

1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

Old 03-20-2018, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72projectbird View Post

I’ve seen it all over my many years of attending events, anything from throwing a verbal fit, to stealing votes from envelops on other owners cars, to buying votes. It gets crazy sometimes. One time I was walking back from getting an award, and this big burly guy with a Cuda says to me......my car is better than yours, that award should be mine. I smiled at him, and handed it to him saying......congratulations. And I walked away. Others standing near by all sighed and his mouth dropped.

1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

Old 03-20-2018, 01:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Even though I've built many cars for people who show them, I've entered one car in one show in Raleigh N.C. I did it as a favor to a customer who had family commitments and wanted to enter his car in this show.
When I delivered his car back to him that evening I handed him his awards for Best Paint and Best in Show, so he was as shocked and pleased as I was. The best part was beating all the other brands and my fellow Tarheel Tiger club members being there.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Best in Show.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	478540   Click image for larger version

Name:	Best Paint.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	478541   Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSC0021r.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	478542  

Old 03-20-2018, 01:05 PM

Very nice.

1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

Old 03-20-2018, 02:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I love going to car shows just to look at the cars. I spent about 5 years restoring my trans am and only dreamed of the day I would be able to have my own car there. Became a reality late last summer when I attended a local cruise night. Lo and behold I won a trophy. It was really cool to have my name called but I honestly had no idea I would get one. There were a lot of nice cars there. I went to several in the fall and have yet to win another, but that is perfectly fine with me as that truly is not the reason I go. I did some work for a fellow who has an impeccable 68 Camaro restomod. He told me of all the trophies he has won and what were the "good" shows to go to. He is the definition of a trophy hunter. To me that takes the fun out of it. I have a collection of concours restored motorcycles that have won just about everywhere I showed them to a point that I stopped registering and put them on display only. A lot of people would say I'm crazy for not getting them judged but I don't need that kind of qualification with them. I just enjoy letting people see something different.

Old 03-20-2018, 02:58 PM

I won’t ever put display only on my cars at awards shows, only because my trophy’s eventually get donated to kids events, or special olympics events, soap box derby’s, kids tractor pulls, where all they have to do is swap the plaquaed out for their event, and maybe the top. It doesn’t matter if each trophy is different, it’s more like they really enjoy comparing the sizes and styles, and when every kid gets one, the smiles are priceless. Especially the special olympics kids and adults. I enjoy my awards for awhile then pass them forward.

1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

Old 03-20-2018, 03:46 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Have taken some of our cars to shows and have won awards a few times. Appreciate the recognition but prefer to attend shows without awards since really everyone should get an award for sharing their classic car with others.

I really don't like taking a car to a show that has a bunch of requirements such as arrival time and holding the car hostage until the event is over. I like freedom to come and go as I please so those are the events I attend most often. Parking and showing can be fun, but not as much as driving them around.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Old 03-20-2018, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurelyGTO68 View Post
Have taken some of our cars to shows and have won awards a few times. Appreciate the recognition but prefer to attend shows without awards since really everyone should get an award for sharing their classic car with others.

I really don't like taking a car to a show that has a bunch of requirements such as arrival time and holding the car hostage until the event is over. I like freedom to come and go as I please so those are the events I attend most often. Parking and showing can be fun, but not as much as driving them around.

That’s what cruise ins are for, come and go when you please. I do many of these too. As well I attend many shows where there are no awards. Arrival times are required at awards shows due to the sponsors or judges being able to have time to count votes, to have time to present them, so people can leave at a descent time. There may also be demonstrations, and door prize ticket numbers to call off. The show must have a plan, and be coordinated. So by all Means, don’t attend these if you don’t like the way it’s coordinated.

1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

Old 03-20-2018, 04:32 PM

Even drag race venues have requirements to better the flow of activities.

1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

Old 03-20-2018, 04:45 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firedup6975 View Post
That’s what cruise ins are for, come and go when you please. I do many of these too. As well I attend many shows where there are no awards. Arrival times are required at awards shows due to the sponsors or judges being able to have time to count votes, to have time to present them, so people can leave at a descent time. There may also be demonstrations, and door prize ticket numbers to call off. The show must have a plan, and be coordinated. So by all Means, don’t attend these if you don’t like the way it’s coordinated.
Completely agree. Nothing against shows that are well organized. Totally understand the need for it to be that way. I just choose not to participate unless I am allowed to leave when I please.

Lately have enjoyed attending the shows at the airfields since we get to see airplanes and sometimes get track time on the air strips. Those are fun!

Old 03-20-2018, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurelyGTO68 View Post
Completely agree. Nothing against shows that are well organized. Totally understand the need for it to be that way. I just choose not to participate unless I am allowed to leave when I please.

Lately have enjoyed attending the shows at the airfields since we get to see airplanes and sometimes get track time on the air strips. Those are fun!

I’ve been to a few of those, very cool even been at one that parked the cars in the hangers.

1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

Old 03-20-2018, 06:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Like this?

Oh MA, you meant car trophies didn’t you.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2411AB5E-5253-491D-B5A9-1E21F6BFBA11.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	478552  

Old 03-20-2018, 07:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

[QUOTE=ponchjoe;5860876]Like this?

Oh MA, you meant car trophies didn’t you.[/QUOTE

HEY....I have one of those

Old 03-20-2018, 07:08 PM

I love going to car shows. Get to talk cars and show my wife I'm not the only one afflicted with this particular sickness. I've won one trophy for my GTO and my Tempest. Mildly surprised but appreciative. My neighbor loves car shows and entering them to win. He usually enters 3 of his cars and if he doesn't pull a trophy, he turns into a rather grumpy guy. Not an ass, but grumpy.

Old 03-20-2018, 07:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hi Maryann, You know as well as I do, that the only trophies that really mean something are from Pontiac only events. People in the know.
I always tell people, " If you really want to know how good your car is....You should take it to make specific Nationals."

Dave

Old 03-20-2018, 07:31 PM

Won many and lost some too to lesser cars...oh well.
I got over it by showing up in the parking lot and not registering any of them...I arrive and leave when I please.
You would be surprised by how many people asked why I did not enter...just want to be just an observer these days...so much more fun!

Old 03-20-2018, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhcarguy View Post
Hi Maryann, You know as well as I do, that the only trophies that really mean something are from Pontiac only events. People in the know.
I always tell people, " If you really want to know how good your car is....You should take it to make specific Nationals."

Dave

Yes Dave, but those shows are points judged, a bit different than your average peoples choice shows.

1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA