Old 04-15-2018, 09:43 AM
Senior Chief

Default Heater core nonAC

Need to replace the heater core on the 62 Cat. Any input is helpful, need to be removed from under the dash or from engine compartment side? Thx!

Old 04-15-2018, 10:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

You have to take off the shroud that goes over the heater core on the firewall inside the engine compartment, and then you have to disconnect and remove the entire heater assembly from under the dash. Once you have it out you can disassemble it on the workbench to get to the heater core. Take out the glove box liner to get access to the heater assembly fasteners and to provide working space.

Old 04-15-2018, 09:36 PM

Funny, I just did this Saturday on the wifes '61. I didn't remove the outer box assembly or "shroud" in the engine compartment ,just the nuts . You do need the glove box liner removed and there's one 5/16 headed sheet metal screw near the vacuum actuator for the floor/defrost door thats
near the gas pedal. And a small clamp on top of the box that secures a cable actuator. Pretty straight forward.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180414_130504.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	480738   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180414_130543.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	480739  

Old 04-15-2018, 10:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by X--GASSER View Post
Funny, I just did this Saturday on the wifes '61. I didn't remove the outer box assembly or "shroud" in the engine compartment ,just the nuts .
My experience has been that you need to get the shroud out of the way to be able to push the heater assembly back, those studs that stick through the firewall always get hung up in their holes.

Old 04-17-2018, 08:08 AM
Senior Chief

This is a cinch with non-ac. Came right off. Not enough rust to warrant any painting, just a cleanup. Everything is ready for the new core.

Thanks everyone.