Old 06-15-2018, 02:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

That was an original nut that I had screwed to the pump when I removed it from the parts car. I'd guess they probably came in black oxide, cad plated, and bare metal depending on what can of nuts the assembler grabbed from. Probably different from one plant to another and one month to another.

Old 06-15-2018, 06:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Nice! That looks like a split nut like is used on the timing cover? I think I saw that type of nut in the assembly manual, or somewhere before......

What do the heads on the 5-1/2 & 3" bolt look like? I have mine all together & I used some clear zinc bolts that are not original on those two. I have not put my pull back on yet because I know the 5-1/2" bolt becomes trapped if I want to put something else in there.

At times it gets confusing on what bolts and nuts are what finish originally. Sometimes I question why I care to that level of correctness. My car would never do that well at a concours judging, I added a options like power windows, tilt & wood wheel, etc that are not on the build sheet. So a few wrong bolts aren't going to make or break my car. But I still find it very interesting to find out how they came originally & want to get close where I can.

68 GTO 4-spd Convertible
78 S/E Trans am L78, WS6 Auto
78 S/E Trans am W72, WS6 Auto
79 10th aniv W72 Trans am
80 Indy pace car Trans am
89 Trans am GTA
Old 06-15-2018, 12:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

From what I've seen, with a few exceptions, almost all the bolts could vary in head imprint and treatment. The reproduction companies usually pick a known imprint and just go with it. I've taken apart parts cars, that would have two different head markings from one side of the car to the other on things like control arms. Important thing is to have head markings or bolt finish that was one of the several that was known to be used.

Some special design bolts are far more consistent with their markings and finish. But, for the most part, GM would get the bolts made to spec by several different manufactures to prevent supply problems should one supplier have a shut down, strike, whatever. So at any given time they could be using bolts from half a dozen suppliers.

My first go-to for ANY bolt is always a quality used, original item, then refinish as necessary.

I'll take some more pics today.

Old 06-15-2018, 01:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Here are some pics of the various head bolt markings on the PS/ALT mountings.
Also a pic of the PS Pump adjustment washer and nut. Note the washer is "cupped", installed with the cup facing the aluminum mount (towards the front of the car)

PS/ALT bolts are a mix of Arlington built GTO and a Pontiac Mich built Lemans.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PS-ALT-Bolt-1.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	485349   Click image for larger version

Name:	PS-ALT-Bolt-2.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	485350   Click image for larger version

Name:	PS-ALT-Bolt-3.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	485351   Click image for larger version

Name:	PS-ALT-Bolt-4.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	485352  

Old 06-20-2018, 08:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
Here are various pics of the original hose. It measure 28" from tip to tip without wrapping the tape measure around the pump side curve in the fitting. I think the bend to the PS Pump is over-bent a tad, I can see a very slight kink in it and it comes closer to the fuel pump than I would think is normal. I'll probably tweak it out a bit before final installation.

Data, what manifold bolts did you use? originals painted with high temp black, or are they new oem replica's? I need to figure out what I am going to use. Hoping to re-install my manifolds this weekend & overlooked the fasteners until now.

68 GTO 4-spd Convertible
89 Trans am GTA
Old 06-20-2018, 01:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I used new OEM replicas, from Ames I think, which are basically from AMK. Just too difficult to find decent OEM originals for the exhaust.

Kit came with a couple of extras .. my stock logs used six on each side, think the kit came with 14 total.

Nice pieces and appear to be very close to the OEM parts .... well as much as you can tell from rusted old originals.

Old 06-20-2018, 02:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
I used new OEM replicas, from Ames I think, which are basically from AMK. Just too difficult to find decent OEM originals for the exhaust.

Kit came with a couple of extras .. my stock logs used six on each side, think the kit came with 14 total.

Nice pieces and appear to be very close to the OEM parts .... well as much as you can tell from rusted old originals.
I wonder how they will hold up to the extreme heat? I would imagine they are the same coating at the suspension bolts, etc?

I have the AMK book & have ordered from there, but they are so expensive for small orders.
Cheaper to get them from Ames or Inline & let them make a few bucks on them in the process.

68 GTO 4-spd Convertible
89 Trans am GTA
Old 09-04-2018, 04:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I just got the Gates Hose, Nice hose, but the steel line sections don't appear to have any protective coating on them. They just look like bare steel tubing. Thats disappointing if thats true.

68 GTO 4-spd Convertible
89 Trans am GTA
Old 09-07-2018, 03:09 PM

Does it have the centre restrictor / joiner?

Old 09-07-2018, 03:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68ragtop View Post
I just got the Gates Hose, Nice hose, but the steel line sections don't appear to have any protective coating on them. They just look like bare steel tubing. Thats disappointing if thats true.
I zinc plated the ends of my originals which also appeared to be bare steel. The process doesn't seem to do any harm to the hose .. the solution isn't very acidic or anything.

Old 09-08-2018, 08:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by judger69 View Post
Does it have the centre restrictor / joiner?
No, I bought the Gates hose for the chev trucks that are the same hose, just no restrictor like verdoro68 posted above (previous page). Was just bummed that the lines look like bare steel. Might clear coat them & leave it as is. Going to test it to see if it truly is bare steel or not. Just didn't get a chance yet.

68 GTO 4-spd Convertible
89 Trans am GTA