Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 10-08-2018, 04:39 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnta1 View Post
That probably is one reason they put it in.
The other is a lot of racers that went through the lights, backed up and forgot to put it in a forward gear. (why it must be forward)

It is a relatively new rule. 20 years old maybe?

Yea well I was doing it some 40 years ago ! LOL!

GTO George

Old 10-08-2018, 04:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

1975 1st time at the strip for me!

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 10-08-2018, 05:02 PM
Suspended

Quote:

Actually 1970 I use to sneak my Dads car out to the Strip!

GTO George

Old 10-09-2018, 07:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:

1978 for me*, but I didn't care too much about rules back then.

The track I went to you had to bring your own water for the burnout box!

K

*this year is my 40th year racing the same car.

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
Old 10-09-2018, 08:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The track I 1st went to had rollers in the ground to start the dragsters (and other cars probably).
They would spin the tires and the car would start, then they rolled to the water box.

I actually had a late start in life before I knew anything about cars.
(into motorcycles)

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 10-09-2018, 10:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My 1st race was in the spring of '69, at our local airport. Only had 500 miles on my new '69 RA3 Goat. TJ & I were parked on the side of the runway, just to watch. But, several of the local Chevy guys called me out, thinkin their big block Chevelles would easily embarrass me in my Pontiac. WRONG !

Won my 1st class trophy, beating a 442 with cheater slicks & headers, in the final. Flag start. I think I had H-70-15 street tires, & full factory exhaust.

Airport trivia:

TJ also gave me my 1st airplane ride at this airport, when she was 17. I was very surprised at the acceleration of her little Piper Colt. I was expecting it to accelerate very slowly, just barely lifting off the ground, towards the end of the runway. Not so. It pinned me back in the seat & blasted off into the sky. At least that's how it felt to me. Was a big surprise.

So, by the time TJ started drag racing, she was accustomed to mashing pedals & experiencing rapid acceleration. She had no problem adapting.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	June 22, '68 .jpg
Views:	32
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	494695   Click image for larger version

Name:	Shirt Clip Article  .jpg
Views:	30
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	494696   Click image for larger version

Name:	Check Ride Party .jpg
Views:	33
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	494697  

Last edited by ponyakr; 10-09-2018 at 11:18 AM.
Old 10-09-2018, 12:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Other airport triva: my dad started racing at Central Michigan Dragway (then known as "Stanton", or "McBrides", now known as the "Mid Michigan Motorplex") back in 1956.

At that time there was a concrete launch pad with the rest of the surface being grass.

Occasionally you would have to suspend the racing to allow an errant airplane to land.

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
Old 10-09-2018, 01:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

"...Occasionally you would have to suspend the racing to allow an errant airplane to land."

Yeah, we raced at the Haynesville, LA airport for about 5 years. Had to halt the races MANY times for planes to land & take off. But, we had lots of fun & won lots of races there.

And , our Pontiacs also had lots of loyal fans there. I suppose it was the only track we raced where the fans actually applauded us for winning a round of bracket racing. At most tracks there were no fans at all. Usually the crew and family members were the only folks watching their car make a pass.

There were a few fans at the Hallsville, TX track that would bet on the cars, in the time trials. Sometimes they'd pick a car because of brand, color, name, or just because the other guy had picked the car in the opposite lane. They didn't really care. They were sharing the beverages in their ice chest. I think many times they had more fun than most of the racers, especially those that lost in the early rounds.

Other runways we ran on were in Forest Hill, LA, & Greenville, MS. The runway in Greenville was on an old military base.

Below is a pic of TJ driving her '68 E/SA Bird, at Forest Hill. The car was still in primer. She won the 1st two races there that year. You can see by the tall weeds that the place was not kept up. And spectators could just back up to the fence and set up camp. The 2nd pic is my Goat at the Haynesville airport. Notice the portable timing/concession trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Forest Hill '75 .JPG
Views:	19
Size:	121.3 KB
ID:	494715   Click image for larger version

Name:	Haynesville Airport '78.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	494716  

Last edited by ponyakr; 10-09-2018 at 02:13 PM.