Old 11-10-2018, 04:03 PM

Default amp readings

I have a 66 GTO, with the car not running and a meter placed between the neg. post and the neg. cable(disconnected from the battery). Should there be an amp reading? Mine reads .02 amps.

Thanks in advance for any info.
Sixtysix

Old 11-10-2018, 04:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Updated radio with memory? Clock? 20 milliamps isn't much.

Old 11-10-2018, 04:12 PM

updated radio to .a custom sounds. no clock
If I let the car sit a week the battery is low on volts. battery is good.
Just hooked up the battery and reinstalled the cigar lighter. My reads are .002 amps on the 6 amp scale, and 0.00 on the 10 amp scale.
I'll just keep the battery tender on untill I use the car.

Sixtysix

Last edited by sixtysix; 11-10-2018 at 04:35 PM.
Old 11-12-2018, 09:37 PM
Senior Chief

Could be the diodes in the alternator. It's rare, but they can fail in a manner that does NOT show up in an amp draw test.

I have an older truck that I use on occasion and it suddenly started killing the battery only after sitting less than a couple of weeks between use. Using your method of amp test revealed a small 7 milliamps draw which was far under the max listing according to the service manual (22 milliamps). The alternator was stone cold to the touch. I spent a few years just pulling the negative cable between uses to bypass the problem since it was quick and easy work around. One day, the alternator started growling so I replaced it and low and behold I can now go back to letting the truck sit for 4 month intervals of hibernation without a dead battery again.

Old 11-16-2018, 04:53 PM

Default amp readings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Hanlon View Post
Updated radio with memory? Clock? 20 milliamps isn't much.
Is it enough to run the battery down after a week?

sixtysix

Old 11-16-2018, 06:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

.020 A will not run the battery down in a week. One possibility is that the battery is not charging correctly when the engine is running, therefore leading to a weak battery to start with.

Are you sure the battery is good? Older batteries may internally discharge and that won't show up in external measurements, except the terminal voltage will be low. normal charged voltage is 12.6.

lower than that indicates the battery is discharging. When measuring low currents, use the lowest scale possible.

George