Old 11-28-2014, 01:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Front fender badge removal on a 66 GTO

what is the easiest way to get the front fender GTO badges off on my 66. Gonna do some painting on the car. Posted in the body shop section & got no response.

http://www.gogtoaa.com/leibys%20rides.html
Old 11-28-2014, 03:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

You have to take the fender off. No other way to properly do it

Old 11-28-2014, 08:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If one was so inclined it can be done by getting the front end as high as possible or on a lift remove the tires/rims and un-bolt the inner wheelhouse/tub.
you can do this to allow you to roll/manipulate the tub enough to gain access to the lower badge/emblem studs, PITA but could be done.

If the emblems are to be replaced you could also carefully drill through studs and upon replacement use barrel nuts to retain new emblem.

Old 11-28-2014, 07:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I just did this two days ago. I unbolted the lower fender bolt, and 3 or 4 of the bolts that hold it to the inner fender. Then I was able to reach my arm in there and remove the bolts. Wasn't too bad, but I recommend wearing a long sleeve shirt so that the sharp edges don't get you. Took about 20 minutes to do both sides.

Importsmasher

66 GTO convertible 389/4 speed (parents bought new)
73 Firebird Formula 400/4 speed
74 GTO 455/4 speed
74 Grand Am
Old 11-29-2014, 12:31 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I'd get those badges off and get some proper emblems on it too Kind of a pain but you can reach the nuts and get them off. It will make the paint job that much nicer with them off that's for sure.

Old 11-29-2014, 10:12 AM

Default 3M tape

Hi,
just to help with your job. you can use 3M masking tape to protect the edges of your doors and fender. Outline the outer edges 5 minute fix.This will simply keep you from chipping panels that you didn't want to paint at all. Hope this helps.

Old 11-29-2014, 01:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Arrow EXACTLY

Quote:
Originally Posted by importsmasher View Post
I just did this two days ago. I unbolted the lower fender bolt, and 3 or 4 of the bolts that hold it to the inner fender. Then I was able to reach my arm in there and remove the bolts. Wasn't too bad, but I recommend wearing a long sleeve shirt so that the sharp edges don't get you. Took about 20 minutes to do both sides.

Importsmasher
I have done this very same procedure with a very small wrench slowly reaching up to the back side of the nuts.

The fender DOES NOT need to be removed!

1) 65 GTO Survivor. 43,440 Original Miles. “Factory” Mayfair Maize Paint with Black Pinstripe, Black Cordova Top, Black Interior, OEM Numbers Matching Powertrain. Purchased from the Lady that bought it new. Baltimore Built (11A).
2) 66 GTO Survivor. “Factory” Cameo Ivory Paint with Red Pinstripe, Red Interior. OEM Numbers Matching Powertrain. Tri-Power (OEM Vacuum Linkage), Automatic "YR" code (1759 Produced). Fremont Built (01B), with the Rare 614 Option.
Old 11-29-2014, 04:02 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via ICQ to Tim66
Default badge removal

I remember back in the day,we used to take a sharp putty knife,slide it behind the emblem and hit the handle of the knife sharply on the pot metal studs of the emblem,breaking them.When replacing just use two sided tape.Time is money.Good luck.

Old 12-02-2014, 06:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have learned that the easiest way is to gently use a cutoff wheel to remove the old badge (Cutting through the badge, not near the paint) and pushing the posts through from the outside. You can now purchase Tubular nuts, push then into the holes from the outside then push the emblem into the tube nuts. I have attached a picture of a couple of the Tube nuts I received in the mail today... I was not able to find the tube nuts in the PY catalog & but was able to purchase them from the other top aftermarket Pontiac parts company. I only deal with two... One sponsors this great forum, the other sponsors the Tri Power Nationals at Norwalk.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tube nuts.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	383484  

http://www.gogtoaa.com/leibys%20rides.html
Old 12-02-2014, 11:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazlo View Post
I have learned that the easiest way is to gently use a cutoff wheel to remove the old badge (Cutting through the badge, not near the paint) and pushing the posts through from the outside. You can now purchase Tubular nuts, push then into the holes from the outside then push the emblem into the tube nuts. I have attached a picture of a couple of the Tube nuts I received in the mail today... I was not able to find the tube nuts in the PY catalog & but was able to purchase them from the other top aftermarket Pontiac parts company. I only deal with two... One sponsors this great forum, the other sponsors the Tri Power Nationals at Norwalk.
That works, as long as you aren't interested in saving the emblem. I wanted to retain the original emblems on my car. I bought some of the barrel nuts at a local paint shop (they were about $8 for a box of 100), and I will be reinstalling my emblems with those once the car is painted.

Importsmasher

66 GTO convertible 389/4 speed (parents bought new)
73 Firebird Formula 400/4 speed
74 GTO 455/4 speed
74 Grand Am
Old 12-03-2014, 09:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My method is similar to Lazlo, but I use a center punch for a piliot hole, then a drill. Installation is with the barrell nuts.

Old 03-24-2019, 02:48 PM
Senior Chief

Hi All,
I'll be doing this soon enough - what size tubular nut work best for a tight fit for the emblem? 1/4", 3/16's? Thanks

Old 03-24-2019, 08:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Take your emblem to NAPA and find the right ones.