THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 04-02-2019, 06:55 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarblik View Post
EXACTLY! Hanging around a car show with the average age of the car owners in their mid 60's, why would they do that? I am in that age group so I completely understand. The best way to have the age groups mix and mingle and appreciate each others cars is the cruise-in approach IMO. That way, the cars and people come and go as they please, no judging and prizes, and sitting around for hours telling lies about the good old days and street racing 40 years ago, unless that's what you want to do. Need a place for the non-restored or work in progress cars to be looked at and appreciated. NO 50's do wop music or even 60's car songs as the only form of music if there is such. A place to do a little autocross, burnout contest, stereo blast area, chassis portable dyno. If you want young people to participate and be engaged, you have to make them feel welcome and be interested in their cars.

I will never forget being at an NMCA race in Memphis with my lowly pure stock Pontiac. Coming back from the snack stand, hot dog in hand and some old guy was rummaging around under the hood of my car! He popped out as I approached and it was Arnie Beswick!! I was around 30 years old at the time. What in the heck was this living legend doing looking at by dumb car? He said he saw it run and liked it and wanted to see under the hood. It doesn't get any better than that. Make those connections with the younger generation and they are more ,likely to stay interested and involved.
The music played at actual car shows doesn't exactly draw in younger crowd either. I'm 38 have had my car 20 years this year and its the same Elvis Presley, doo-whop music played. Why cant they mix in some Lynard Skynard, led zepplin, sabbath, Boston, Bon Jovi, etc. So much more music out other then the American Graffiti sound track.(love that movie btw)

83 Mustang GT sold
Old 04-02-2019, 06:56 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandam1979 View Post
What’s gone is the fast and furious craze very few big wings and 6” tailpipes anymore on little 4 bangers and no under glow.
Pro-touring killed the sport campact seen.

83 Mustang GT sold
Old 04-02-2019, 06:59 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUDGE3 View Post
why we need to drive our muscle cars. A LOT. the younger crowd never sees these cars when there trailer queen flower pots.

when I drive mine and see the young impressionable crowd egging me on to do a burn out I do it! they'll remember the car and maybe someday figure they gotta have one.
Exactly I love the look on people's faces when Im on the open road with my car, yup its got no A/C, no cruise, a carburetor, no saftey blah blah blah, and I'm 400 miles from home.

83 Mustang GT sold
Old 04-02-2019, 10:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil400 View Post
The music played at actual car shows doesn't exactly draw in younger crowd either. Why cant they mix in some Lynard Skynard, led zepplin, sabbath, Boston, Bon Jovi, etc.
If you want to attract a younger crowd, remember those bands are more the music of 50 or 60 year old people.

Old 04-02-2019, 10:24 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
If you want to attract a younger crowd, remember those bands are more the music of 50 or 60 year old people.
Better yet, how about no music at all. It's usually played way too loud through speakers that aren't up to the task anyway. And if I hear "Yakkety Yak, Don't Talk Back" or "Mustang Sally" again, I'm going to puke.

2015 Challenger R/T Plus, hemi, Sublime
Old 04-02-2019, 10:34 AM

I never thought hair bands would be considered classic rock, man I am getting old. Anyway I think there has always been a healthy respect from younger kids for classic cars. Every time I drive my car and stop at a gas station, some young kid will tell me nice car. What is it? Which is cool since I dont always know what kind of car they are driving either. So I will usually ask about their car. I think the respect has to flow both ways as the classic car people can be a little smug. I have learned a lot about the WRX lately from the younger crowd. I dont like the looks of the car but have to respect the engine in that car. In the end nothing beats older cars as far as looks and body lines IMO but you have to respect the kind of HP 4 and 6 cylinder engines are making now a days. IN the end we are all doing the same thing making our cars look cool to each individual taste and trying to make it just a little faster when money allows.

Old 04-02-2019, 11:43 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
I guess you're right, I'd be in for 90s grunge too as that's what I listened to all threw high school but even that's classic now.

Agreed its always too load.

83 Mustang GT sold
Old 04-02-2019, 12:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

As I say every time people start bitching about the music at shows - when you put together your own show, you can play what you want.

Old 04-02-2019, 12:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Nailed it. Next generation of car shows won't be for us or by us.

Old 04-02-2019, 02:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge273 View Post
Nailed it. Next generation of car shows won't be for us or by us.
Here in Bloomington, which is a college town there is a super happening show/cruise scene. A big mix of imports, with some modern and classic muscle. Mostly a very young crowd, but they are friendly and inclusive. Im the mid 30s curmudgeon who never attends. But in their defense they don't play super lame doo-wop music. Like you said, its for them by them.

I should go more, I just have a really hard time getting excited about shows unless there is a swap meet. I like to shop. And then the catch is I usually take my truck in case I buy something big. Im a terrible old car owner......

https://www.youtube.com/@CatfishMotorsports
Old 04-02-2019, 02:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Personally I don't worry about the music at shows - they can play what they want, I'm pretty good at tuning it out if it's not to my taste.

Old 04-03-2019, 02:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I just met a member from this site as he was passing through Atlanta on his way to Chicago. He had a rear-end for sale that I wanted and the fact that he offered to drop it off on his way made it do-able, pricewise, for me.
When I went to meet him, I expected someone about my age in a big extended cab truck maybe, with the rear in the bed.
I was totally shocked to meet a 20-something year old, driving his '69 GTO convertible from Florida to Chicago and the rear axle, wrapped in blankets, laying across the passenger front seat-back to the rear seat! I was pretty impressed with how wrong I had the guy pictured AND the fact that he was driving a 50 year old car overnight halfway across the country.

Last edited by Greg Reid; 04-03-2019 at 02:48 AM.
Old 04-03-2019, 08:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I enjoy going to car shows, and looking at other peoples cars. I usually dont stay for the entire time though as I get bored after a couple of hours. I get enjoyment and personal satisfaction when people do admire my car as I have put in a lot of time restoring it, but that is far from the reason I go. Im 55 and it seems I am about the average age of participants in my area. Once in awhile there will be younger guys there but that is an exception. They usually have rat rods which I dont particularly care for, but I do look them over and show respect to the guys whom built them. As far as the music is concerned, yes the doo wop stuff does get old and (no offense to fellow pontiacers) but every time I hear 'little gto' I want to scream. But, like was said I dont organize it and I do appreciate what others do for the good of the event and the community. Its the same in the motorcycle world, there must be a law that says they all need to play southern rock!

Old 04-03-2019, 10:51 AM

these kids would love to own these cars... they cant afford them. I don't know why you guys say "only old guys" own them.. yes its an expensive hobby, the kids are just trying to pay rent...

I couldn't own them until I was older and had some time and career, life etc... its not a young guys hobby unless he's inherited/gotten rich quick. Its that simple.

So yes this is an old fart hobby...

Old 04-03-2019, 11:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikes2nd View Post
these kids would love to own these cars... they cant afford them. I don't know why you guys say "only old guys" own them.. yes its an expensive hobby, the kids are just trying to pay rent...

I couldn't own them until I was older and had some time and career, life etc... its not a young guys hobby unless he's inherited/gotten rich quick. Its that simple.

So yes this is an old fart hobby...
The rub there though is that starting in the late 90s we came into an American muscle renaissance. So a lot of those cars are out there, affordable, with a large aftermarket following. And if we are being honest, more out of the box performance than we work with.

We as a hobby group need to be seen as respecting and allowing the newer oncoming of muscle so keep the hobby fresh.

Ive said forever if I were a kid begging my dad to help me buy a car it would be a first gen CTS-V, or a GTO/G8 all day every day. The early V8 chargers or magnums I think are really cheap. 4 gen F bodies are cheap as long as you don't need the big angry WS6 hood. Then you have to deal with the 7.5 rear though.

https://www.youtube.com/@CatfishMotorsports
Old 04-03-2019, 01:35 PM

I think you guys are right about the high car prices keeping younger people away from owning classic cars. I am 33 and have been looking for years for a running, driving 66-67 Chevelle, 67-69 Camaro/Firebird, Charger/Challenger, etc... Drivers start at $10-15k +. With trying to make rent/house payments, student loan payments, start a family, etc., there is not much $ left at the end of the month.

I finally bought my first classic car 2 years ago- a 1968 Firebird 350 car that needs full restoration. It was complete but hadn't been running for 20+ years. Even still I was excited that I had saved up enough money to buy it and have the title in my name. I've been able to get it running and lot driving, but I am about $20,000 away (which equals many years of work) from getting it to a car show.

The cruise-ins around here seem to be more popular with younger people (like myself) than the traditional car shows. I think it's the casual-ness and open 'anything goes' attitude that welcomes all ages (young families too).

Old 04-03-2019, 01:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8liveson View Post
The cruise-ins around here seem to be more popular with younger people (like myself) than the traditional car shows. I think it's the casual-ness and open 'anything goes' attitude that welcomes all ages (young families too).
Cars and coffee events (where people show up first thing in the morning, hang around for a couple hours and then leave) are getting more and more popular. People often have other stuff they have to do on weekends so these meets let them get out with their car, check other cars and talk to other people, and then get on with chores or family matters.

While some of them are held for specific types of cars, others are open to all types.
The few I've attended seem to have had a good mix of younger and older people.

Old 04-03-2019, 04:38 PM

Recently watched a video of a model T snowmobile group show. Had all these model t's with half tracks and skis lined up on the snow... and Doo Whap music blaring.

Old 04-04-2019, 08:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevymad View Post
Recently watched a video of a model T snowmobile group show. Had all these model t's with half tracks and skis lined up on the snow... and Doo Whap music blaring.
Makes perfect sense! Do wop was very popular in the 20's

Old 04-04-2019, 08:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I wish there was a cars n coffee thing around my parts. I think I would enjoy something like that very much. I like the come and go as you please thing. There is a 'cruise night' down the road once a month but they give out trophies and close the downtown streets, its more like a show.. SO, once your in, you have to stay until its over. I enjoy going but its always the same cars, same guys getting trophies, and your stuck there for a few hours. I found another im going to try in a couple of weeks.