Interior TECH Upholstery, Carpet, Dash, Headliner...

Old 04-23-2019, 09:54 PM

Default What color is the dash gauge Cluster for a 64 GTO?

I am redoing my dash and am not sure what colors I should use. Th 64 "blue" is the big stripe down the middle but I am not sure about the silver around that and also the heater control. Is that the "blue" or black. Thanks for any help!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190423_173211.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	510881   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190423_202456.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	510882   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190423_202534.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	510883  

Old 04-24-2019, 11:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 1964 Lemans & GTO dash accent color. Light metallic grey/blue..

At this point that would be a custom mixed color. There is no name or paint # code for that color in the paint chart books as any part which would have been a service part from GM (say back in 1971 or 1972) for a '64 A body Pontiac year car would have come pre-painted in the color accent that was on those parts.

There has been some discussion on this color in the past on here as it was used on at least 3 items in the interior. It seems to be a unique color to 1964 on the Lemans & GTO option cars.

Your plastic dash bezel, the heater control and the top of the console (in-between the raised ribs). NOTE: on all 3 of these parts GM did not put any primer underneath the color so the chrome underneath the paint (on the console top and the heater control) shows thru just enough to affect the look of the paint after it has fully dried.

On the dash bezel that wide band that is molded above (underneath) the upper rolled edge lip is suppose to be zero gloss. It is molded in there and painted so as to act as an anti-reflective area for the 4 gauge tunnels during the daytime.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1964GTOheaterControlNOS.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	20.2 KB
ID:	510904  

Last edited by Peter Serio; 04-24-2019 at 11:49 AM. Reason: added a photo
Old 04-24-2019, 04:24 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

To clarify...is the blue/gray color flat in all locations or just flat above the gauges?

Old 04-24-2019, 06:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I do not claim to be a '64 GTO expert but in practical terms the color paint on the front of the dash (non-GTO, the one with the groove pattern), without the aluminum swirl insert and the paint on the face of the heater control & console top was for appearance. To me that finish looks to be a semi-gloss or perhaps even ever so slightly gloss.

The paint above the tunnels is put on there so that area does not reflect the raised chrome ring around each gauge opening into the driver's line of sight. I have several used and broken; original paint Tempest & Lemans 65, 66 and 67 dash bezels laying around here and on all of those bezels that band of painted color is almost zero gloss. There is also a texture to the paint. On the examples I have here to me it looks like GM put a suede additive into that paint when they mixed it; so the finish dries irregular. Therefor the tendency is not to reflect light.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1966 GTO Red Convertible Standard Gauges Bezel Fit.jpg
Views:	631
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	510927   Click image for larger version

Name:	1966 1967 GTO Heater Coltrol Color Match_PYs.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	510928  

Last edited by Peter Serio; 04-24-2019 at 07:05 PM. Reason: added 2 photos.
Old 04-24-2019, 07:30 PM

You are correct Pete It is a semi gloss color. When I was restoring consoles I was using a custom match. But there is a old Ford color that is very very close in color, if not spot on.I'll see if I have the code from the can. You may have to use a flatterer over it to knock down the shine depending on how you shoot it and the reducer you use.