Old 06-27-2019, 02:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 65 convertible electrical help

Hi all, I need some more help, please.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0155.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	514945[IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190627/43587d0aac35817d6070dd7dc0e472b5.jpg[/IMG

Name:	IMG_0157.jpg
Views:	424
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	514946Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0158.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	514947

The one on the left is the horn relay & it should go on the 2 studs to the fender side of the master cylinder. Is that correct?

The one on the right in the picture I have no idea what it is or where it would go.

I put the convertible top switch in. The yellow wire goes to an accessory spade on the fuse block. I can’t find a circuit breaker for it. I read somewhere that it goes on the studs by the m/c but that seems wrong to me. What am I missing here?

Lastly the car has a washer button but the wiper motor on The is wrong. Isn’t it? If I get a wiper motor with washer will all those wires in the last pic hook up to it or do some go somewhere else?

Any help would be great. I can’t seem to figure this stuff out.

Thanks
Murf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk ProClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0156.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	514948

Sorry, having pictures troubles too!

Old 06-27-2019, 06:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Horn Relay and convertible power top switch 12 volt + connection

Here maybe these photos will help:

The power top 12 volt "+" supply wire runs out to thru firewall via a tiny rubber grommet and that lug is bolted to what looks like a circuit breaker but this one only has one threaded stud. It is made that way on purpose. It is in a metal can that could be a breaker but in this example it's being used as an insulated stud.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1965 1966 GTO Rally Gauges Tachometer wire firewall grommet Large size.JPG
Views:	1613
Size:	161.3 KB
ID:	514963   Click image for larger version

Name:	1965 1966 GTO Rally Gauges Tachometer wire firewall grommet.JPG
Views:	347
Size:	184.5 KB
ID:	514964  

Old 06-27-2019, 07:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 65 convertible electrical help

Thanks Pete! That’s what I need. Seems this had been changed before I got it.

From what I’ve seen, the W/S washer is a separate part that would attach to the wiper motor that’s on there now. Is that correct?

Does that other relay looking thing look like anything that would be on a 65 convertible? I’m not finding an open connector for it anywhere.

Thanks again for all your help!
Murf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Old 06-27-2019, 09:03 PM

Pete. Any idea of what gauge wire goes from the battery to the junction block ?

Old 06-28-2019, 08:56 AM

The relay on the right in your first picture looks like a typical aftermarket replacement for the horn relay... A current Standard Motor Products HR142
is a visual match for it.

Old 06-28-2019, 04:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by madeuce50 View Post
The relay on the right in your first picture looks like a typical aftermarket replacement for the horn relay... A current Standard Motor Products HR142

is a visual match for it.

Thanks, I’m going with that cause I can’t find a place to put it anyway.

Thanks again
Murf

Old 06-28-2019, 08:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

For the wiper washer system, as far as I can recall all of the 64 and 65 GM A body cars came standard with a one speed wiper motor. As an extra cost option you could order a 2 speed motor also for a bit more $ you could order a 2 speed motor with fluid washers. At the time GM used to have these add-on Pontiac accessory kits that the dealership could install for you if the car came with the one speed motor. I think the dealer could add a Delco 2 speed motor with washers if you paid for that. Yes, the washer pump piggybacks on top of the 2 speed wiper motor. The wires for a car with one speed wiper, would be a single wire plugged onto the back of the dash switch, for 2 speed wipers the plug-in should have 2 wires on it and for 2 speed wipers with washers the switch will have 3 wires that plug into the back of it.

As far as the top power wire I would look at the top switch's yellow wire and measure that in wire gauge. Then step it down one number (as in the next size thicker wire) and go with that just to be on the safe side. I think the photos shows the wire coming from the battery; running along the inside fender liner is the next size thicker wire gauge.

Maybe someone here that owns an un-restored 64 or 65 convertible could measure their wire gauge?

I am thinking it would have to be at least a 12 or a 10 gauge wire.

Old 06-29-2019, 08:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Serio View Post
For the wiper washer system, as far as I can recall all of the 64 and 65 GM A body cars came standard with a one speed wiper motor. As an extra cost option you could order a 2 speed motor also for a bit more $ you could order a 2 speed motor with fluid washers. At the time GM used to have these add-on Pontiac accessory kits that the dealership could install for you if the car came with the one speed motor. I think the dealer could add a Delco 2 speed motor with washers if you paid for that. Yes, the washer pump piggybacks on top of the 2 speed wiper motor. The wires for a car with one speed wiper, would be a single wire plugged onto the back of the dash switch, for 2 speed wipers the plug-in should have 2 wires on it and for 2 speed wipers with washers the switch will have 3 wires that plug into the back of it.

As far as the top power wire I would look at the top switch's yellow wire and measure that in wire gauge. Then step it down one number (as in the next size thicker wire) and go with that just to be on the safe side. I think the photos shows the wire coming from the battery; running along the inside fender liner is the next size thicker wire gauge.

Maybe someone here that owns an un-restored 64 or 65 convertible could measure their wire gauge?

I am thinking it would have to be at least a 12 or a 10 gauge wire.

Pete, Thank you very much for all your help! I’m sure it must get old trying to help the helpless.

Murf

Old 06-29-2019, 03:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 2 speed Wipers with washers.

Here is an original Delco dash switch for a '64 or 65 Lemans or GTO that has dual speed wipers with washers.

It takes 3 wires; one wire is by itself and the other 2 are in a black plastic "V" shaped connector.

All the 64 and I think 65 A body GM cars came automatically with the wire plugs as if the car had a one speed wiper motor with no washer option. The wiring for the 2 speed motor with washers piggybacks onto the existing wires and the plug-ins for that are made out at the firewall (right beside and also on the motor). Then you have a 2 wire zip cord running back thru a tiny black rubber boot in the firewall, then inside the car underneath the dash to plug into the switch

On 1963 Lemans cars (which is the car I own) I have seen that zip-cord wire as molded together as one black and one white wire. I think I have a photo of just the jumper harness but I would have to search for it. If any interest in that photo please post.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1964 1965 Lemans GTO Wiper switch_E1.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	515037   Click image for larger version

Name:	1964 1965 Lemans GTO Wiper switch_E2.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	25.2 KB
ID:	515038   Click image for larger version

Name:	1964 1965 Lemans GTO Wiper switch_E3.jpg
Views:	120