Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 08-18-2019, 02:23 PM

Default A-Body header question.

Will a set of Doug’s Headers currently on a 65 GTO fit on a 76 Grand Prix?

Old 08-19-2019, 04:34 AM

Headers can be a lot of pain. Check to see if the steering box is in a similar place. I put 2nd gen F body headers on my ‘66 Catalina and they were tight at the steering box and the passenger upper control arm. I was able to massage it with the ford wrench to give them space but it’s mostly just take a look then see if they bolt on. Be prepared to curse a lot, move the engine up and down several times, and whack the expensive headers with a hammer. Or wait until someone with more experience chimes in

Old 08-19-2019, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrp613 View Post
Headers can be a lot of pain. Check to see if the steering box is in a similar place. I put 2nd gen F body headers on my ‘66 Catalina and they were tight at the steering box and the passenger upper control arm. I was able to massage it with the ford wrench to give them space but it’s mostly just take a look then see if they bolt on. Be prepared to curse a lot, move the engine up and down several times, and whack the expensive headers with a hammer. Or wait until someone with more experience chimes in
I installed these headers on my dad's car not quite 20 years ago. From what I remember about all this was the difficulty on the left side with the steering shaft. I was a little tight but they went in fairly well. I've visually compared the GTO to the Grand Prix as well as looked up front tread width. It looks like there is about an extra inch on the Grand Prix. What concerned me the most was the engine crossmember looks a little wider on the Grand Prix. I'm not sure if that will cause issues with installation down below. I guess they only way to really know for sure is to just try the swap.

Old 08-19-2019, 10:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

They will probably fit. Like MRP stated, check to see where the steering box is located. In front or behind the crossmember. That will give you an indication. Also look atvthw position of #1 spark plug in relation to the crossmember (how far back the motor sits. )

Old 08-19-2019, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Stoneburg View Post
They will probably fit. Like MRP stated, check to see where the steering box is located. In front or behind the crossmember. That will give you an indication. Also look atvthw position of #1 spark plug in relation to the crossmember (how far back the motor sits. )
Will do. Thanks for the tips gentlemen!