Old 09-06-2019, 08:02 PM
Senior Chief

Default unable to open driver's door. '67 GTO convt.

My car was put up on a hoist to swap a motor mount, when it came down I was not able to open the LHS door. It had been fine before the lift. It will open about a 1/4 inch or so then no more. I've tried just about everything I can think of... lifting up/pushing down/jack a little under frame in different spots. outside and inside handles both function ok. It seems the lock mechanism won't let go the striker entirely. The door panel looks like it will not come off while the door is closed so I'm unable right now to figure out a way to try and solve this. The panels are new Legendary's and I don't want to have to cut it up to access the lock if I can avoid it. Any body guys have any ideas about what I can try to get the door open? Or interior guys who know a trick to get the panel off? Right now I have to clamber in through the pass' side door, kind of embarrassing when your buddies are laughing. I wonder if the hoist may have tweaked the frame enough to cause this or is it more likely the locking mech' has just died on me. I'd appreciate any ideas you might have. Thanks, Jim.

Old 09-06-2019, 08:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Try vigorously locking/unlocking it a couple of times using the lock knob? Same with the exterior door button (want to sort of let it snap back out) maybe even work the key back and forth. I had something similar happen before, and that cured(?) it. Damn near drowned that latch mechanism in penetrating oils before I even dared thinking about closing it again. You might also have to close the door slightly, like to relieve pressure against the pieces in contact? Dunno. HTH.

Old 09-06-2019, 09:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Went through the same thing in the past.
The return spring in the door lock/latch has likely failed.
It's a PITA but can be opened without destroying anything.
You have to use long flat screwdriver or similar to fit down into the door to reach the inner latch.
The window has to be down of course and looking straight down at the latch you'll see the level.
Again a PITA but possible.

Old 09-06-2019, 11:35 PM
Senior Chief

Thanks, I've pushed/pulled the door and its locks every which way, up/down/in/out. So far no good. Jeff-- when you say "the level" what is that exactly I'll be seeing? What does it look like? Could level be a typo for LEVER? There doesn't seem any non-destructive way to remove the door panel while the door itself is closed....I'm pretty sure that if I could remove the panel I could get it fixed.

Old 09-07-2019, 12:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

https://www.gtoforum.com/f130/how-do...en-lock-34809/

this may help ........

Old 09-07-2019, 06:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up

Yes LEVER and no way to get inner panel off without door open unless you rip it off/out.
Once open you'll have to repair/replace the latch mechanism all outlined in link of last post.

Last edited by Jeff Hamlin; 09-07-2019 at 06:08 AM.
Old 09-08-2019, 09:54 PM
Senior Chief

Default Problem solved!

Door open! Why didn't I think to try this simple solution first before even posting about the problem?-- got a big can of WD40 and squirted a lot of it down the between the window opening and all over the latch, waited a couple of minutes, tried a few times and it flew open! Occam's razor had this figured out long before me. Thanks to all who helped with ideas, I appreciate it.