Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 10-16-2019, 06:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Duckworth brand timing chain

So I picked up a NOS timing chain that's made by a company called Duckworth.

Anyone ever hear of them? Based on the box it came in it looks like it dates to at least the mid 60's if not earlier.

The pics below are the Duckworth chain along side an OEM Morse style chain. Duckworth chain is on the bottom in the first two pics and on the left in last pic.

The Duckworth chain is MUCH stiffer than the stock Morse chain which is loose and floppy. The Duckworth is also of the anti bendback design that's identical to the Pontiac 4 cylinder chain that's always recommended to use if you can find it......PN 9772801.

It also has a unique side connecting link design which I haven't seen before.

I used a NOS 4 cylinder chain on my last build and really liked it as it was a really beefy, stiff chain.

I am considering using the Duckworth chain on my current build because it's similair in design to the Pontiac 4 cyl chain.

Anyone have any info on this company? Google searches don't help much.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1884.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	522321   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1887.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	522322   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1889.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	522323   Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l16006.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	522324  

Last edited by abefromen; 10-16-2019 at 07:15 PM.
Old 10-16-2019, 08:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That's cool. Used plenty of those back in the day. I wouldn't loose any sleep using it. Good quality and they seemed to hold up... I completely forgot about those.

Old 10-16-2019, 10:48 PM

My last name is Duckworth...….so I will snag one of those Duckworth timing chains for my 455 build.

My name will be in/on a part of my car.

Old 10-17-2019, 12:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I use and prefer the 3/4" wide link belt or Morse timing chain set-ups in my own engines. Have had zero issues with them, even in long term service. They have a few advantages by design, including strength, constant tooth contact, and less movement on the balancer when you throw a timing light on the engine and check it at any RPM. In all the years I've been doing these engines and have had a 400, two 428's, and two 455's in my car I only tried one roller timing set. It was a Rollmaster and installed around 1999 in my first 455. Initially I liked everything about it, especially the ease of degreeing the cam vs having to use the Mopar offset keys with the stock type timing sets.

I even did some cam degreeing testing with the Rollmaster as it was deadly accurate for moving the cam around. At that time I was street driving the Ventura a lot and racing it as many times a week as the weather would permit. I put a LOT of runs on that engine at the track. I was pretty dedicated at that testing parts as I had the car running deadly consistent a the track. Somewhere in the middle of all of it I even did the head testing with the new (at that time) KRE aluminum heads and the resulting HPP and Popular Hot Rodding Engine Masters articles that followed.

One Friday night I was racing the car at Dragway 42 and it started to slow down. Not just a little, like BIG TIME slow down.

I just figured with all the runs on it that it was time to "freshen" it up so really didn't do a lot of checking to see what was going on far as compression and such. I pulled the engine down and when I removed the timing cover the chain was so loose I could just about walk it off the gears! The chain was replaced, rolled in some rod bearings and right back in business as a leak down test showed the rings were fine.

I sold that engine and my current 455 got a stock type timing set and fine since 2009, and it has a LOT of time on it, street and at the track. I actually had the timing cover off recently as it started leaking coolant and the chain and gears looked fine, hardly a mark on them. I will say here that I purchase and use "old stock" timing sets as shown in the pic below. I like the heat treated metal gears vs the newer softer cast iron sprockets........Cliff
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2084.JPG
Views:	137
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	522335   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2085.JPG
Views:	127
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	522336   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2086.JPG
Views:	128
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	522337  

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),
The Following User Says Thank You to Cliff R For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2019, 01:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Cliff, is that a particular brand? There were a lot of crap Morse timing sets for sale 40 years ago too.

Old 10-17-2019, 06:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'd have to check the box. I look for the heat treated sprockets as shown in the pics. Below is a pic of what they are currently selling, decent set-ups but with all the outsourcing going on I like the older stock better.......
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	51oMlbpgpoL.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	522341  

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),
The Following User Says Thank You to Cliff R For This Useful Post: