THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 08-21-2020, 06:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default jegs now free shipping 149.00 and over

I noticed jegs increased their min on free shipping to 149.00 from 99.00. I wonder why? Will summit do the same? might be a deal breaker for some that extra 11.99.....

Old 08-21-2020, 07:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Im wondering if its all pandemic related. Perhaps their costs have been going up with more people doing basic things like grocery shopping from home.

For years now Summit and Jegs basically always had a sale going on. Usually in tandem. 10 bucks off 100, 25 off 250. ETC ETC. It would roll around and not always be the same but would usually be about 10% off a big order.

Since Covid, Summit has dropped it entirely. I cant say I check the site every day, but I browse a fait bit. Havent seen a single banner for a sale in months. Jegs was still doing some smaller ones, more like $10 off of $300. Speedway was the only one still doing the same type of sales we were used to.

IDK if it is to take advantage of bored shoppers who finally had time for DIY projects? More likely its that Summit and Jegs are the Walmart of the hot rod world (though not as loathsome). They sell cheaper than most and operate on smaller margins, counting on volume of sales. When that is your business model, a small increase in shipping, or other logistical prices due to the virus can hurt your bottom line a lot.

Or maybe they just crunched some numbers on an Excel sheet and said, "People will grumble a little and still pay what we are asking". If they raise prices and sales done drop, its hard to blame them.

FWIW Ive been shopping at Speedway more lately. I like Summit and Jegs, they have fixed problems for me in the past. Speedway is just as good though, and cheaper at the moment.

https://www.youtube.com/@CatfishMotorsports
Old 08-21-2020, 08:30 AM
Suspended

First off, for those people that don't or never ship, you have no clue. Shipping costs have been skyrocketing for the past few years and Covid ramped that up. Fact is, UPS sent out a statement that shipping costs are going up "significantly" this holiday season. Time to get off the computer or smart phone and buy locally.

Secondly, Jegs has some of the worst customer service in the speed parts world. I once told Troy Coughlin about a customer service issue I had with one of his people and he acted like he didn't care. I told him that while I applaud him and Jeggy in their racing career, I cannot buy another part from their company.

Last edited by Stuart; 08-21-2020 at 10:29 AM.
Old 08-21-2020, 01:43 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Gosh...I've had good luck from Jegs and Summit, both usually arriving within 2-3 days. Jegs customer service is available, whereas Summit has been non-existent.

1970 GTO (Granada Gold) - 400 / TH400
Old 08-21-2020, 02:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

i lknow ups and fed ex instilled a premium for packages over 50 pounds last january before all this hit. I doubt a high volume place like jegs gets hit with full surcharge, but maybe that is the reason for the price hike. I always seem to get stuff faster from jegs than summit. even on saturday without paying for saturday delivery. I just prefer the summit website. it seems to be more user friendly for me.
I rarely get off for les than 150 anyway lol

1972 Maverick under slow construction
Old 08-21-2020, 02:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticmissle View Post
I just prefer the summit website. it seems to be more user friendly for me
100%. Not even close. Even when I use Jegs because of a sale or something. I look up the part on Summit, and then directly put the PN in the search bar on Jegs website.

Ive had to deal with customer service on all three, and all three helped me. Compared to most customer service in the world now where its outsourced to India or something, the parts companies are pretty darn good. Low bar maybe.

Jegs is the only one that did me dirty once. I went on their website and submitted a written complaint. Not normally me, but I felt I had no other recourse. I got an email within hours that fixed the issue for me on their dime. So they redeemed themselves.

https://www.youtube.com/@CatfishMotorsports
Old 08-21-2020, 04:33 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocktimusPryme View Post
100%. Not even close. Even when I use Jegs because of a sale or something. I look up the part on Summit, and then directly put the PN in the search bar on Jegs website.
This ^^^^^^.

Summit has much better info, reviews and Q&A. Seems like Summit isn't offering discounts/promos like Jegs, unless they will price match??

1970 GTO (Granada Gold) - 400 / TH400