THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 09-29-2020, 07:09 PM

Default Introduction and In Search of a Unicorn or 2 (Pontiac Hemi Heads)

Hello,

Please excuse my ignorance in not being overly good with the internet. I have been in and out of Pontiacs since I had a drivers license because my dad was into GTO's. In recent years I have been into fuel racing and hot rods. I am currently building what I would consider my dream car that involves the Unicorn of Pontiac Engines. The Mickey Thompson Pontiac Hemi. The car is a Model 40 5 window coupe that is reminiscent of the early 60s fuel altered cars. Envision the 15 oz Fuel Coupe, the 554 Fuel Coupe...... ect. About a year remains until the car should be finished and the intended power plant is a Pontiac Hemi. I found a gentleman on this website that was gracious enough to sell a rare block for this project and am hoping to scrounge up the remaining parts in the up coming months. Any leads or support is greatly appreciated. I have read many of the postings on the this website and hope to contact those of you that have the same interest. Thanks for the help and nice to meet you all. I tried to attach a photo of the Build. I hope it worked.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Profile_110_3A.jpg
Views:	1256
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	550604  

Old 09-29-2020, 07:20 PM
Senior Chief

Welcome sir.

Tom's related thread attached below.

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...=836336&page=7

71 Firebird
69 Firebird
Old 09-30-2020, 02:58 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Welcome! The 15oz coupe and 554 fuel coupe are legendary!!! Hope you can find the heads to complete your project.

Last edited by Drag Star Le Mans; 09-30-2020 at 03:08 AM.
Old 09-30-2020, 08:48 AM
Suspended

Now this is full of awesome!

Old 09-30-2020, 10:20 AM

Thanks for the help fellas. I have been reaching out to others on the forum with some good feedback. Lots of knowledgeable folks here!

Old 09-30-2020, 10:35 AM
Suspended

Get together with Jack Gifford on here as well. He's knowledgeable on the M/T Hemi parts as well as races a Hemi Pontiac that is up your ally.

Old 09-30-2020, 10:56 AM

Jack got back to me right away! I followed his DOHC build and was very impressed. Also looked at the flow testing he had done previously. Very Cool Stuff.

Old 09-30-2020, 11:41 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Now that is one of the best first introductions. Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

You have 10 1/2 months until next years Norwalk. Would be a great unveiling!

Old 09-30-2020, 01:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I would spend some time on this site if you haven't already. Also contact Steve to see if he has any castings he is willing to part with. He has several sets and others on running engines. http://www.pontiacheaven.org/ . Good luck with the project.

Old 10-02-2020, 09:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

A worthy project. It was good talking with you today. Sounds like you’ve done some homework and have some great connections. Jack is the Hemi expert and a great guy. He will help with any questions you have for sure. Make sure any updates get posted here as there are lots of people who would enjoy seeing a Hemi Pontiac project every step of the way.

Old 10-03-2020, 06:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

This is Steve's upcoming event:

Pontiac Heaven

Could make a trip there and see all the cool stuff there!
(Hemi's galore)

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 10-03-2020, 10:58 AM

Thanks for all the help! I have had lost of guys reach out with good information and insight. If the original parts weren't hard enough to find the geometry and parts that have to be made will be nearly as challenging. Should be a really fun project. I'd like to think the 2nd one will be easier then the first. Ha Ha. Have a good weekend fellas.

Old 10-03-2020, 11:06 AM
Senior Chief

Welcome to the forum!

You will find lots of great information here as well as a bunch of great Pontiac guys to B.S. with.

God Bless
Bill
https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...closed.614419/

Bills' Auto Works Est 1983 & still going strong!

1955 Chevy Altered W.B. Gasser
1955 Nash Ambassador Custom Lemans
1964 Grand Prix
1966 Catalina Conv. 421+
1966 Ambassador DPL 2dr HT
1966 Ambassador Cust. 2 DR HT
1967 Marlin
1967 Toronado
1973 Nova Full Chassis Car
1992 Jag XJS Conv
1992 Jag XJS Coupe
2007 Cad XLR-V Supercharged Roadster
Old 10-03-2020, 11:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

When you find usable head castings and get to the point of valve train development, send me a PM. We worked directly with Jesel when developing our Ram Air V billet head and they were great to work with. Had to make 3 versions of the rocker arms and stands to get a workable set-up at a 1.8 ratio. In the end , we ended up with all steel rocker arms, stands and shaft system. Development costs and rapid prototype was reasonable and fast IMO. Good luck with the project.

Old 10-04-2020, 07:12 PM

Well guys we made some good progress this week! Been following up on some leads and we'll see what pans out. Reached out on the HAMB as well to some folks, so collectively this thing can happen! I update in the weeks ahead. Thanks

Old 10-04-2020, 08:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnta1 View Post
This is Steve's upcoming event:

Pontiac Heaven
Steve announced a couple days ago that he had to cancel the event this year, but contacting him is still a good idea - whether or not he has any parts he's willing to sell, he should be a good source of information on Pontiac hemi heads.

Old 10-04-2020, 10:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

T&D has made the rocker parts for Steve & they have a part number assigned to them for the M/T Hemi heads. So all that easy work is already done,,,, Now for the hard part, finding a set of M/T Hemi heads!!

POCI.org
Old 10-07-2020, 10:17 AM

Still Looking and Still Grinding - Hopefully have some progress by the end of the week. Thanks to those who reached out and helped.

Old 10-11-2020, 04:04 PM

All right guys, I kind of new to social media but like most folks not new to communicating with others. Over the last few weeks I reached out to all kinds of persons in the hunt for some hard to find parts for a hard to build project. In this awesome experience I encountered 4 groups of people.

1. - Persons that have the means to help but choose not too.
2. - Persons that said "Not going to Happen"
3. - Persons that really want to help and support but don't have knowledge or parts. Envision positive people!
4. - Persons that Chose to Help, Got Involved, and made it Happen!!!!!!!

The last (2) group of people is where the energy was focused. Thanks to all the folks that reached out and offered help, knowledge, insight, and parts. I can't name them all here but these are the folks that called, PM'd, and spread the word to others and have been supportive. Some guys also offered up to reach out anytime to help answer questions. Folks Like Jack Gifford - that have actually been there and done it. I know that we'll be in touch!

A couple of persons really came through in helping the cause. Tom Schlauch (Tom S) has been a wealth of information and has likely forgot more about Pontiacs than I'll ever know! Tom had some unique blocks with casting provisions with push rod reliefs for Pontiac Hemi heads. Not only has he provided the blocks but also drawings, insight, and information so they can be machined and built. Thank You Tom!

Another Gentleman got involved and really opened up about the project. We decided to work together and make this thing happen. Rob MacLaren (misterp266) had a virgin set of heads and intake manifold looking to make some noise for the first time! Rob has been great to converse with and we have crossed paths with persons in the same racing circle. Its only a matter of time before we can cross paths ourselves. Thank You Rob!.

Now the fun will Continue! Here is how the next 14 months will play out! WE HAVE TO FOCUS ON BUILDING A BITCHEN HOT ROD! I made a deal with some of the persons that got involved to share information about the build in detail. I have no plans to keep this information to myself! The intention is to get this information to those that were directly involved first and then get as much information as possible to everyone else! The only thing better then (1) Pontiac Hemi on the Street is 2, 3,4.............

Now we still have some hard to find Knick knack pieces over the next few months that will consume some time and resources but that should be happy hunting.

Last but not least. It was really rewarding for me to have folks get involved and help me out on my project. I hope to offer the same to others in the future. Thankyou guys.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rob Heads and Intake.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	118.1 KB
ID:	551258   Click image for larger version

Name:	engine block tom.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	551259  

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fecoffin For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2020, 06:02 PM