Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 11-18-2020, 11:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Old school tool

Hey everyone, I have this tool that i got from a guy that used to work at Pontiac back in the day as a mechanic. Was this used to lift the front of the motor while in the car ? Im also wondering if there are any other parts needed that are not in the picture. Maybe a chain?
I would appreciate any input on this .

Thanks..

Old 11-18-2020, 11:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

pics
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	timing tool.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	554231   Click image for larger version

Name:	timing tool2.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	554232  

Old 11-18-2020, 12:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've got a photo of that tool in use in one of my old mechanic books. I'll have to look for it. May have been in a 1969 Motor's Manual.

Old 11-18-2020, 01:30 PM
Boost Engineer

Charlie, My Uncle had that tool and I used it twice, (to remove the oil pan), on a engine with the engine remaining in the vehicle. We had a two post lift that lifted the front wheels or the rear axle depending on the control valves (or the whole vehicle if both controls were in the 'lift" mode.

In both cases I used it to fix failed plastic timing gear failures on the vehicles. Remove the pan and oil pump and clean the plastic teeth in the pan/oil pump/screen.

Main reason why I have never used anything with plastic gears in the camshaft drive after that experience.

A valuable tool for a dealership but for most people using a Cherry Picker to remove the engine/trans would be better as you would not need the two or 4 post lift required to make it work.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 11-18-2020, 01:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Then I'm going to hazard a guess that you won't be a player for this NOS item Tom?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1959-1975-P...YAAOSwPHhftD1s

Old 11-18-2020, 02:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have one that is aluminum and is a lot smaller.....given to me by a guy who worked at a Pontiac dealer in 1970. Mine has a pad so a jack can be used from the bottom instead of hooks for a hoist. It's for lifting the engine enough to get the pan off in-car to replace the rear main seal. Much easier to pull the engine and do it right, in my experience.

Old 11-18-2020, 03:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reid View Post
I've got a photo of that tool in use in one of my old mechanic books. I'll have to look for it. May have been in a 1969 Motor's Manual.
id like to see that. Thanks

Old 11-18-2020, 03:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post
Charlie, My Uncle had that tool and I used it twice, (to remove the oil pan), on a engine with the engine remaining in the vehicle. We had a two post lift that lifted the front wheels or the rear axle depending on the control valves (or the whole vehicle if both controls were in the 'lift" mode.

In both cases I used it to fix failed plastic timing gear failures on the vehicles. Remove the pan and oil pump and clean the plastic teeth in the pan/oil pump/screen.

Main reason why I have never used anything with plastic gears in the camshaft drive after that experience.

A valuable tool for a dealership but for most people using a Cherry Picker to remove the engine/trans would be better as you would not need the two or 4 post lift required to make it work.

Tom V.
Did it help much ?

Thanks

Old 11-18-2020, 03:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeteeohguy View Post
I have one that is aluminum and is a lot smaller.....given to me by a guy who worked at a Pontiac dealer in 1970. Mine has a pad so a jack can be used from the bottom instead of hooks for a hoist. It's for lifting the engine enough to get the pan off in-car to replace the rear main seal. Much easier to pull the engine and do it right, in my experience.
Where does it bolt to? I thought it bolted to the pan..

Thanks

Old 11-18-2020, 09:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Does it have any name or numbers on it? If it was a GM KentMoore tool, it would have a J-xxxxxx number on it somewhere and every piece would have that same number and an A,B,C after it to show it was a tool kit. If not, it kinda looks like an OTC tool from the day, they were blue and some were gray in the 1960's. I did ALL the oil pans and other leaks at the Pontiac dealer I worked at. We had shaped wood blocks for each common body style that fit with the high jack stand for pan removal . It was shaped to fit the harmonic balancer without slipping off. I replaced 11 pan gaskets, rear main seals in one week at that dealer. Between the lousy rope seals, the 3 and 5 tang rubber pan seals that never sealed worth a crap and the leaky Oldsmobile 403's and 307's, I was a busy guy. First generation f-cars were really tight to do an oil pan on.

Old 11-19-2020, 09:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie66 View Post
Where does it bolt to? I thought it bolted to the pan..

Thanks
Sorry, I forgot to look for the photo but to answer your question, IF it's the tool I'm thinking of, it somehow uses those two bosses at the bottom of the timing cover. You can see one of them on this photo right below that black bolt head and you can barely make out the other in the shadow right below the snout of the wp.

Old 11-19-2020, 10:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Service Manual has pics of it.

1971 SM

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	12.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	554298  

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 11-19-2020, 10:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks John. That's what I was going to look for.

Old 11-19-2020, 11:01 AM
Boost Engineer

Our tool was just like the service manual pictures.
Charlies too used a engine hoist of some kind to lift the front of the engine apparently
Tom V.

No desire to have a plastic tooth upper timing gear, lol.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 11-19-2020, 09:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

We had what must have been a later version. It bolted to the 2 slanted holes at the bottom of the timing cover where the early car's front motor mount was located and the retainers for the trans cooling lines were bolted on the later ones. It did not have the hooks on the bar at the top. That bar was longer and had adjustable pads at the ends that sat on the inside lips of the front fenders. You used the screw at the top to pull the engine upwards. It was used to remove the oil pan with no restrictions under the engine to be in your way. Worked pretty well.