Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 05-30-2021, 11:20 AM
Senior Chief

Default Leaking thermostat housing

I have been fighting a coolant leak at the thermostat housing for a few years. I discovered a couple years back that the housing was not flat. I attempted to flatten it on a bench belt sander and it held for a short time. I then purchased a new housing and again it held for almost a year but failed again a week ago.
What is the best wat to seal the housing to the manifold? gasket? no gasket using gasket maker? gasket with gasket sealer?

1969 Firebird 350 convertible, t-5, Carousel Red
2008 Solstice GXP 5speed manual, Sly
2008 Grand Prix, Ink Slate, Winter daily driver
2009 G8, Switchblade Silver, summer daily driver
Old 05-30-2021, 01:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I like the blue gaskets with the sealer on.

Old 05-30-2021, 02:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Mostly the whole key is to fight the tendency to want to tighten the piss out of the two bolts if it’s not a cast iron housing, which most are not.

At one point in time the company Everco use to offer for all America made cars the choice of a replacement cast iron or Aluminum T-stat housing, i do not know if they still do.

The Aluminum ones just don’t have enough flange thickness to not warp over time and in terms of this issue the thicker the gasket is , the more and the sooner it will warp, and this is compounded if the gasket is of the type that shrinks with age!
If both gasket surfaces are in great shape then a thin gasket with a swipe of sealer is best!

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!

Last edited by steve25; 05-30-2021 at 02:34 PM.
Old 05-30-2021, 02:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to JLMounce

I have used the blue paper gasket with the permatex aviation gasket sealer with good success.

Old 05-30-2021, 03:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

This is the best gasket I can find nowadays. Most are slotted universal types. This works well and is a quality gasket as you'd expect from Fel Pro. I coat the crossover and the water neck with aviation permatex. Never had one leak with this method. FWIW
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190519_093802.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	567495  

Old 05-30-2021, 03:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

This;

https://www.permatex.com/products/ga...-no-2-sealant/

with the blue gasket.

#3, as mentioned above, my 2`nd choice.

Old 05-31-2021, 01:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My aftermarket aluminum intake with new aluminum water neck seeped. The factory style bolts (one is a nutted stud to hold the alternator bracket) were bottoming out right at the point you pulled them snug so there wasn't enough clamping pressure. I installed 2 full- thread studs and nuts. No more leak.

Old 05-31-2021, 04:40 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeighborsComplaint View Post
My aftermarket aluminum intake with new aluminum water neck seeped. The factory style bolts (one is a nutted stud to hold the alternator bracket) were bottoming out right at the point you pulled them snug so there wasn't enough clamping pressure. I installed 2 full- thread studs and nuts. No more leak.
I have observed that issue on several aluminum Tri-Power intakes with the holes not being drilled deep enough for the bolts used. I use "allen head" studs permanently installed in the intakes these days but for sure not a Car Show
"Correct" fastener. Same deal with the Valve Cover Bolt Fasteners that some say leak water. Permatex on those too.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 05-31-2021, 05:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I use the chrome water neck with the rubber o ring. Zero issues. Also important to ensure intake thermostat housing area is flat and not full of rust pits.