Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 05-19-2021, 04:56 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Wind Shield Wiper Transmission Linkage Repair or Replace? 67 GTO, Hardtop, 5 Speed.

Is it possible to repair the windshield wiper transmission linkage? I took two pic's, one shows the damaged section that retains the ball on the other section. These two pieces are supposed to snap together, but they don't.

Are there universal aftermarket replacements? I'm not too worried of being original. When I do a web search and find what may possibly work, the description states the car must have a round wiper motor. My wiper motor is square. If I have to buy a round one, I'll do so, I just don't know if a round one is available for my 67 GTO.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WindShieldWiperTransmissionLinkage1.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	566904   Click image for larger version

Name:	WindShieldWiperTransmissionLinkage.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	25.6 KB
ID:	566905  

Old 05-19-2021, 11:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I would try to find a replacement. Someone on here must have one that they don't mind parting with.

Old 05-20-2021, 06:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

There’s reproduction or used in ebay. I’m not sure about the reproduction piece, but I always go with that as a last resort. Definitely post an ad in the parts wanted section here.

Old 05-20-2021, 07:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Wiper transmission repair kit is avail. - brass bushings to repair worn out wiper transmission linkage.

Old 06-01-2021, 12:57 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I now have this part, but not able to figure out how it is installed. Anyone have experience with this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WiperLinkageRepair.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	567565  

Old 06-01-2021, 02:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Fought this battle before the car was torn down. Find a good used one. All repro is pure crap

Old 06-01-2021, 08:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimib View Post
I now have this part, but not able to figure out how it is installed. Anyone have experience with this?
Drill out the staked rivets and then use new rivets or drill larger holes for the supplied nuts and bolts.

Old 06-02-2021, 09:52 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64speed View Post
Fought this battle before the car was torn down. Find a good used one. All repro is pure crap
I agree, repro is crap.
I don't mind spending the $$$ for something that will wipe water off the windshield, but locating is not easy. Can you provide any sources?
Thanks.

Old 06-02-2021, 10:49 AM
Senior Chief

You could check this out...

http://www.abcperformance.net/store/...products_id=29

Old 06-06-2021, 01:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

http://www.abcperformance.net/store/...products_id=29 ... only $599! Ay cabron!

I looked at an aftermarket transmission set before I decided to just repaint and detail mine I didn't see anything wrong with the repro one at around $125.00. It was tighter than my original and looked fine. Numerous eBay sellers have transmission assemblies around that price by Goodmark, a very reliable maker of reproduction parts.

AutoZone sells reman/new wiper motors $75/$125 with lifetime over the counter replacement warranty.

Old 06-06-2021, 02:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I don’t know about the repro for later models but I know 64 is trash. I bought Newport engineering 5 speed with delay but it is 500 bucks

Old 06-06-2021, 10:28 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I have the part suggested above from Napa, but I can’t figure out how they get installed.

Then there is the repro from ABC Performance for $600. It says for the 64 and 65 A-body and it’s a hidden system. I don’t know how this system could possibly be hidden (I don’t need it hidden) and don’t know if this would work on my 67 (still an A-body).

Newport Engineering; never heard of this company, so I’ll call them and see if they have a replacement kit.

Another site someone suggested (I think on GTO Forum) is East Coast Chevelle. I’ll call them and see if their kit is compatible.

Doing a Google and Amazon search on “windshield wiper linkage repair”, I’m getting hits with pictures of parts that look like they could work. These pic’s are clips and bushings. These parts are cheap but I don’t know if they will work; so, I’ll throw money at these parts and see if I get lucky.