THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 01-16-2021, 12:06 PM
Senior Chief

FYI... I still have 3 HP64 ink cartridges available, that I ordered by mistake: 1 black XL, and a combo black/color package. None of them has been used. PM if you have an interest. Thanks.
Kerm

Old 01-16-2021, 07:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have an Envy 4520 that my wife bought for me at least 6 years ago. She also signed up for the HP 'Instant Ink' deal. They actually monitor the ink levels via wi-fi and mail you refills with a metered envelope to mail them back the empty cartridges at their expense. It's about $3 a month for the plan we signed up for. They have several based on your estimated pages per month. Goes up to 300 pages at $11.99 a month.

You all may not believe this but I have only needed 3 cartridge shipments in the 6 or 7 years that we've had it and it has never run out of ink in that time. I do use it every week.
Just goes to show you, they can make it last quite some time when they want to... the ink lasts forever when they're paying for it it seems.

Old 01-16-2021, 08:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default ET-4550 Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhutton View Post
Model number?

Thanks,
Don
EPSON ET-4550 Series

“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”
― Calvin Coolidge
Old 01-16-2021, 09:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

In the days of the dinosaurs I worked on ink-jet printer development, interacting some with ink formulation chemists and manufacturing ChemEs. I can assure you back then the ink was highly engineered and I'm sure it still is.

If you are printing photos, I would recommend you stick with the genuine ink. For HP, I agree the subscription service seems a good option. We use it and have never run out. The cost seems OK when you spread it monthly. I also choke at the cost of an HP cartridge but whenever I tried the cheap alternatives the quality was obviously inferior.

For photos, print quality matters and more importantly, you want the image to last without fading or changing color. I think ink is another place where you get what you pay for.

Old 01-16-2021, 11:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm similar to carbking, have used HP Laserjets for decades. First was a 4P. Used to replace cartridges about every 6 months, lots of pages. Cartridges were about $70 in the beginning but then found a local guy that would "rebuild" them, he charged me about $30. It finally crapped out after about 15 years. I thought it was just low on toner so I had him do a refill for me. But it had died. I held on to that last cartridge for years hoping to find someone who could use it but that cartridge was not used on current models so never found anybody that wanted it (for free), not even the guy who was filling them for me since there was no market for it.

Replaced it with a HP Laserjet P2015d, B&W only. Hard wired. If I had to guess, it is now more than 15 years old. Toward the end of my career, everything was transmitted digitally, I no longer needed to print much. I had to bake the board 3 or 4 times for a known solder joint problem with that printer but it is still working today. Now retired, I only use that printer when I want a high quality print that doesn't smear with a wet finger touch like an inkjet. A few years ago, I needed a refill for the first time. My local guy had quit the business. He told me refilled cartridges were available for like $20 from Amazon which put him out of biz. Went that route and have had zero toner issues.

In 2011, my wife and I bought new HP laptops and got "free" HP Deskjets, hers is an Officejet 3000, really cheapo but color. Takes 61 cartridges.

Mine is an Officejet 4500, takes 901 cartridges. Much better, multifunction. I mainly use it to scan stuff to pdf or make copies of stuff these days. Occasionally use it as a printer. It faxes too but I no longer have a landline though a few months ago I carried it to my neighbor's house, he needed to fax some legal documents over his landline.

Ink cartridges are stupid expensive vs. laser toner because they get used up much faster. I began using knockoff refill ink cartridges about 4 years ago in both Officejets and have had good luck with them. Much cheaper than HP genuine cartridges.

But recently, installed a Tri-color in the 4500 and it gives an error code. Snakebit, I am hesitant to order another knockoff but cringe at paying for an authentic HP. I'm planning new computers and think I might spring for a color all in one laser printer to solve the problem on all counts.

IMO, Inkjets are the classic razor and razor blade scheme. Give away the razor and make a killing on blades.

boltbuster, if I could use the 64 I'd be interested. But have to say, your price is no bargain when compared with the pricing I see on Amazon for genuine HP much less the knockoffs.

Just tonight I found an unopened genuine HP 95 Tri-color cartridge in my office. Near as my wife and I can remember, we bought it for my m-i-l, now deceased. Why we have it here (she never lived with us or even near us), we can't recall.

No idea how old it is, 5 yrs maybe? And would gladly mail it to someone for the price of postage if somebody wanted to take a chance on it. HP sells for $50 on Amazon but knockoffs are as little as $10 or less with free shipping.

Old 01-17-2021, 11:02 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V. View Post
boltbuster, if I could use the 64 I'd be interested. But have to say, your price is no bargain when compared with the pricing I see on Amazon for genuine HP much less the knockoffs.
Thank you for your response. I had forgotten how much I suggested as a 'starter' price for the ink. At this point, I'd be open to any offer.