THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Closed Thread

Old 05-14-2023, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid View Post
In a couple of weeks I’ll be traveling to TN and when booking my trip, couldn’t help but notice that the Hertz website was pretty gung-ho on renting Tesla Model 3’s and Model Y’s. A Tesla for the price of an econobox? Why not. I reserved a Y more out of curiosity than anything else.

I guess I’ll carve a notch in the dashboard for each time I get coal-rolled?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just a suggestion - rent a Performance model if they give a choice.
It better be a pretty quick diesel to cover you in soot since any of the P models are 3.7 to 60 or quicker. The Long Range models are around 4.8 to 60

Took a mothers day Montana road trip in the Cummins powered 2500 RAM today.
Almost 20 MPG and the wife likes the truck seats "much" better than the Tesla model Y's

67 White/Gold GTO 4 speed sold, 1968 GTO 4 speed sold, 1969 GTO auto sold, 68 Firebird 400 4 speed (455) sold, 65 GTO Night Watch Blue 4 speed sold, 64 GTO Nocturne Blue 4 speed sold, 71 GTO Gold auto sold. 1975 Formula 400 auto sold.
Hopefully to be restored, H-"O" Racing 73 Trans Am SD 4 speed,
Sons 70 Formula 400 auto, and wife's 1974 AMX 360 auto, 1975 Jeep Honcho 4x4, 1965 Buick Special post

Last edited by 455dan; 05-14-2023 at 10:57 PM.
Old 05-17-2023, 12:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulajones View Post
What I find even more odd is they put 4 chargers in at a brand new Alliance Home Improvement center they just built up in town. They are over on the side of the building, sort of out of sight. There are no other charging stations I'm aware of, but they chose to put one in at a home improvement store??? Seems odd to me. Been about a year now, drive by there daily and shop there frequently, I've never seen them used once. Kind of funny I buy fuel a couple times a week at the local station that is in the lot next door.
Either people go at off peak hours (likely)
Or they have chargers installed at their houses because there aren’t any around otherwise .

selling turbos and turbo related parts since 2005!
Old 05-17-2023, 12:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 455dan View Post
Thanks, Yeah This whole Model Y Performance purchase happened because of Life events.

Was about to either repaint the wife's AMX and there IS pressure there. or begin to start working on The H-O Racing SD which was the plan .

Then in December my little brother died. Which through me for a loop . His health was so diminished he couldn't work on his rigs anymore, he had the financial means but drove a barely running rig instead of buying something new and reliable.
Things went downhill again in January, slipped on the ice and broke the ball off of my femur.

I have had a lot of vehicles over the years but never a "New" one.
When tesla dropped the price 13k and they qualified for the 7500 tax break while sitting in a hospital bed after the hip /leg surgery I ordered the LR model on my phone.
Well that plan didn't seem to be working because after aver a month no VIN number, I had heard that if you "upped" the order cost and switched to a Performance model for 3 K more the car might be delivered within what was at that time the tax window .

So I switched the order to a P and within 2 hours I had a VIN and a couple days later a confirmed delivery date. I was able to walk by the time the car was delivered.

Absolutely like it so far. It handles like the Bird ," like it is on rails", is quick and fast and comfortable and stops well.

Yeah it is a bit funky looking but that .23 coefficient of drag, really helps when pushing the speed limit.

Switching to the Performance model was also a better fit and dropping the 0-60 down to 3.7 seconds was worth the extra coin and a actual new car enjoyable every time I get in and get that new car smell.

The summer efficiency is kind of mind blowing ...

Made this trip twice and set the trip computer on the second run just to be sure it really only used under 6 dollars to do a 200 mile round trip. Basically like getting well over 100 miles per gallon

Really need to get working on the muscle cars,

Also have the shoe horned 455 powered RX7 that I had done most of the body work on. Loss of family and This leg thing has slowed me down and lost stamina but the Tesla can be the everyday car and grocery store, airport trip and parts hauler.

Just hope I can get caught up with all the other jobs so the Gas powered Muscle cars can get some attention.

I Don't get the Either Or attitude.

Some people HATE these Tesla cars.

The second day of having the Y was driving home and drove by a school close to home while obeying the 20 MPH speed limit.
This Mid 70s lifted F 250 with a young gal was coming toward me as I exited the school speed zone.

She sees the Tesla Floors it blowing a big cloud of smoke, Sticks her arm out the window flipping me off while Screaming Obscenities at me.
She proceeds into the 20 MPH school zone at over 50 miles an hour while the speed limit is still active.

Yeah I do not understand then again never had a thing for most chevie's and they both Came out of GM.

Still I would never do what that Gal did passing by a Chevy.

Yeah I get that diesel truck (usually young’s guys) too. It’s so stupid and makes them
Look ignorant . Especially since my other cars are a RAV firebird, turbocharged 455 firebird , a hellcat Durango and a diesel lifted dodge . What morons. . Just ignorant . I think a lot of people blame Tesla for all the OTHER changes in America. .one has NOtHING to do with the other, electric cars were around at the turn of the century .
But I got the same hate when I put a turbo on my Pontiac so.

The Following User Says Thank You to turbo69bird For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2023, 04:40 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Elon isn't home rn but wants u to bring it into the shop...

https://www.autoblog.com/2023/05/19/...ervice-center/

'74 T/A 455 Y-code SD clone

previously on Dawson's Creek:

'74 T/A 400
'81 AMC SX/4
'69 FB 350
Old 05-19-2023, 06:24 PM
Senior Chief

Any electric vehicle that has a thermal runaway will look like that. It takes a huge amount of water, thousands of gallons, to extinguish an electric vehicle fire.

Old 05-24-2023, 05:07 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default it was the dang TPS sensors!

https://www.autoblog.com/2023/05/19/...tire-pressure/

'74 T/A 400
'81 AMC SX/4
'69 FB 350
Old 05-25-2023, 08:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry455 View Post
Any electric vehicle that has a thermal runaway will look like that. It takes a huge amount of water, thousands of gallons, to extinguish an electric vehicle fire.
That’s because you don’t put water on an electrical fire especially a battery pack. . These batteries make thier own oxygen.

I won’t say it’s not one of my concerns of owning a Tesla , but they need to figure out how to fight these battery fires effectively which will likely be about removing the HEAT.

Old 05-25-2023, 09:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo69bird View Post
...but they need to figure out how to fight these battery fires effectively...
Maybe they should stop producing EV's until they figure this out...

Old 05-26-2023, 12:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Champ View Post
Maybe they should stop producing EV's until they figure this out...
Did they stop producing alm te gas cars that have caught fire? Nope . A house near me just hired two stories to the ground from a gasoline car should they stop producing them?
Come on man .
EVs at least Tesla a are pretty much here to stay of someone like me can love these cars anyone can

Old 05-26-2023, 09:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Last weekend there was a 20 something year old dude (I think it was a dude anyway) racing in the trophy class with a Tesla at our 1/8 mile track. It was running 7.50s, which isn’t bad, but not exactly quick (would be in the very high 11s in the 1/4 mile). It lost first round to a NOS injected Fox body running in the upper 5s. It was the most cheering I heard all night. I’d say Tesla has their work cut out for them to convince the rest of the automotive world that an EV car is always cool and belongs in the same category as all IC vehicles. Watching the Tesla race in the trophy class felt like it was a man dress as a woman competing with other women, or vice versa. Seemed off. I am not a fox body fan at all, but I was rooting for that fox body.

Last edited by Jay S; 05-26-2023 at 09:19 AM.
Old 05-26-2023, 11:56 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

go fox go...they should have their own class anyways

'74 T/A 400
'81 AMC SX/4
'69 FB 350
Old 05-26-2023, 05:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo69bird View Post
Did they stop producing alm te gas cars that have caught fire? Nope . A house near me just hired two stories to the ground from a gasoline car should they stop producing them?
Come on man .
EVs at least Tesla a are pretty much here to stay of someone like me can love these cars anyone can
Can you translate that into English?

Old 05-26-2023, 05:50 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Anyone? No, not anyone.

https://youtube.com/shorts/gG15nb4FWeo?feature=share
Old 05-26-2023, 07:06 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKhjvAwcScQ this pontiac ICE kicked some tesla butt

Old 05-26-2023, 07:14 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

and another pontiac ice kicking tesla butt https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRXrrfx1IGM

Old 05-26-2023, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Champ View Post
Can you translate that into English?
I believe what he said was

Did they stop producing all the gas cars that have caught fire? Nope. A house near me just burned two stories to the ground from a gasoline car, should they stop producing them? EVs, at least Teslas, are pretty much here to stay. If someone like me can love these cars anyone can.

With people typing on smart phones these days, along with autocorrect, you have to be able to read between the lines.

Old 05-28-2023, 05:59 PM
Senior Chief

Putting water on the fire is currently the only way of fighting a car fire, battery or ICE. Trying to flood the battery is the idea to cool the battery. In Europe, Germany I think, they drop it into a container of water. There are some ideas that manufacturers and the firefighting industry are currently working on. Electric car technology is still in its infancy. There are many problems to work out before most people will adopt them. Most of them are trying to be too techy. The manufacturers seem to be trying to out tech each other. That reflects in the cost. For the price of an electric Silverado or Hummer, I can get a really nice Duramax truck. We still camp and pull a trailer, don't see too many charging stations on the way up north in Michigan.

Old 05-29-2023, 04:10 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default let's bury that QA report...

https://www.autoblog.com/2023/05/27/...antom-braking/

'74 T/A 400
'81 AMC SX/4
'69 FB 350
Old 06-05-2023, 08:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Something Tesla owners (and EV customers in general) should think about before investing in an EV:

'Why Tesla Cars Get Totaled So Easily'

https://www.businessinsider.com/why-...r-costs-2023-6

Quote:
Crash your shiny new Tesla?

You may be in for a surprise when you get an estimate from your insurance company about getting it fixed.

Insurers are increasingly writing off — or "totaling" — a Tesla even after light damage because of their complexity and cost for repairs, according to the market-watchers at Kelley Blue Book.
How 'green' is an EV if you can't reasonably repair it after a minor fender bender?

What is the carbon footprint for 6 month old Tesla that goes to the scrap heap after just 5,000 miles?

Old 06-09-2023, 04:57 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default any delay a huge win for this turd...lol

https://www.autoblog.com/2023/06/09/...la-cybertruck/

'74 T/A 400
'81 AMC SX/4
'69 FB 350
Closed Thread