Suspension TECH Including Brakes, Wheels and tires

Old 06-17-2023, 06:45 PM
Senior Chief

Default Upper ball joint install complete I hope...looks OK?

Hey Folks,

The old ball joint removed and new one installed. Just to note this was an old conversion with the F body spindles on a A body. Just wanted to make sure I did it correctly. When I slipped the tapered part of the ball joint thru the spindle there wasn't much squeeze left. I thought it would go much further up. The castle nut was tightened real good. Other side which I haven't done yet seems maybe 1/8" closer but maybe once I get all the weight on it I'll be OK. I've enclosed some pics. I realized the boot slide up so I moved it down to cover the stem.

I appreciate any feedback. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0144.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	614374   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0145.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	154.0 KB
ID:	614375   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0146.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	156.6 KB
ID:	614376   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0147.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	123.2 KB
ID:	614377  

Old 06-18-2023, 09:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Looks OK based on the pics.

Quick tip to save the boot if you have to remove the spindle or A-arms in the future, pickle forks can rip the boots. to avoid that if the BJ/boot is in good shape to re-use, loosen the castle nut on whatever end youre working on just a few turns, making sure the nut still has its thickness of threads, then hit the spindle knuckle with a BFH... the pressure from the spring will pop the BJ out of the spindle without hurting the boot or BJ.

Old 06-18-2023, 10:48 AM
Senior Chief

Thank you for taking the time to verify my installation. I wasn't sure if the spindle had to ride up more when I saw part of the ball joint stem exposed.

Also, thanks for the tip on the BFH!