Old 06-15-2021, 09:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 1980 pace car Oyster white color codes?

does anybody know if there are any color codes for the 1980 pace car interior panels? the rear lower panels on my car have turned a bit to the yellow side & I would like to freshen them up. I am a huge fan of the SEM Color Coat system. Excellent coverage & perfect sheen for interior plastics.

I did find a formula in the link below for GM oyster white labeled 1676. 7 year old though sheet.
However, I don't believe my local paint stores have a SEM mixing station.

Any thoughts?

https://www.semproducts.com/manage/h...aster_2014.pdf

68 GTO 4-spd Convertible
78 S/E Trans am L78, WS6 Auto
78 S/E Trans am W72, WS6 Auto
79 10th aniv W72 Trans am
80 Indy pace car Trans am
89 Trans am GTA
Old 06-16-2021, 09:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

i have used the SEM oyster white they sell in a spray can. didnt have anything to compare it to, just painted some panels for a customer & he was happy with it.

Old 06-16-2021, 11:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78w72 View Post
i have used the SEM oyster white they sell in a spray can. didnt have anything to compare it to, just painted some panels for a customer & he was happy with it.
I didn't realize you could get that in a can. I assumed it had to be mixed.
Do you think that is still available? Any chance you documented the part number? Might be the next best thing if I can't find a paint jobber that has a SEM mixing station.

Thanks!!

68 GTO 4-spd Convertible
89 Trans am GTA
Old 06-16-2021, 12:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

sorry i dont recall the part#, this was about 8-10 years ago. & now that i think about it maybe it wasnt called oyster white but its what the paint store said is the closest match to oyster in a can, might have been the "super white" 15103 or phantom white 15003 which i still have a half of a can worth. this was an international customer & when he got the parts he said they looked good & were an acceptable match to the rest of the interior.

sorry thats not much help. i did see some places online that will mix the oyster color & ship it if you cant find anyone local.

https://varietypaints.com.au/product...-vinyl-aerosol

https://www.mamotorworks.com/corvett...efinish-601354

Old 07-10-2023, 11:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Two years later & I am finally getting back too this. Going to see what matches closest from a color chart & have a quart mixed up at a LPS

Been torn about re-spraying the panels as they are all original & I don't believe they have ever been removed from the car. But, I think a fresh coat of paint will be better than the off white yellow color many of the plastic pieces have become over the decades.

68 GTO 4-spd Convertible
89 Trans am GTA
Old 07-10-2023, 12:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

There's some info on Oyster White on page 6 of this paint chip chart, although I don't know how well the codes shown there translate to modern products. https://www.autocolorlibrary.com/pages/1980-GM.html

I've read about a method of whitening up old yellowed plastic using hydrogen peroxide and a UV light source. There are also other methods using vinegar, bleach and other products too. If you do a google search on 'yellowed plastic fix' a number of these show up, it may be worth investigating.