Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 08-21-2023, 03:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Corcoran View Post
I have never understood why some people lock out the timing. I did that once and had nothing but problems. With the mechanical advance working it starts very nice and idles much better too. It spools up faster on launch, drives around in the pits better too. The advance is all in for the whole 1/4 mile so I can't see a downside of running the mechanical advance. I'm sure it works for some but it doesn't work for me.
Same for me but folks here say it helps with tuning your car for bracket racing.
I never had a problem with it. Some get their weather stations out and all that.

Old 08-21-2023, 07:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I've had the timing locked for many years, it eliminated timing bounce. No issues with starting due to the timing retard unit. Happy that using the mechanical advance works for you though

Old 08-21-2023, 12:35 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefbigb View Post
Is it possible to send any brand back and have the ring gear replaced
No issues with JW replacing the ring gear. Only reason I know as it was my fault, no faults on their end. He re-certified at the same time.

Old 08-21-2023, 02:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticmissle View Post
w the e85 we knocked the teeth off tci and ATI. now it is not the flexplates fault the starter bucked however, the PRW that replaced those has been great so far.
I'm also running a PRW plate. I went to a RobbMc starter with the pinion support option and it's been great for my locked out E-85 combo.

1980 Formula 350 Pontiac back burner project
1972 LeMans 350 Pontiac
Old 09-04-2023, 08:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Stoneburg View Post
I've had the timing locked for many years, it eliminated timing bounce. No issues with starting due to the timing retard unit. Happy that using the mechanical advance works for you though
Timing bounce was the reason I locked out my timing, I had no change in ET or MPH and I had problems with it so went back to mechanical advance.

Old 09-04-2023, 10:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

This is the first Aftermarket flex plate I had used( PRW) i had never knocked teeth off my stock flex plate even when used on a motor with 3 more points of compression. (14.5:1 474 vs 11.5:1 535)