Old 09-17-2023, 03:17 PM

Default Power window conversion

I have a 71 that I picked up a while back. It's pretty rough and will need a lot of work done over the next couple of years. One thing that I want to do is change the crank windows to power. Will I have to change regulators, glass, and other parts, or just drill some holes, run some wires, and install the appropriate motors and switches? Also how brand and year specific will the donor parts need to be? The doors and glass are good, otherwise I would just be looking for a pair of power doors. I haven't heard much good about the aftermarket kits, but if there are quality ones out there that won't break the bank, that might be a possibility. Thanks in advance, Dan

Old 09-17-2023, 11:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If you have NO PW parts, you will want a kit. John Hurd sells a good kit ( Second Gen Graveyard)
You may want to select which type of console switch you want ( extra cost) and a new wiring harness ( extra cost)
You will have about $650 in this, but its all new, and faster than originals, with more power.
https://www.secondgengraveyard.com/s...egulators-only

Old 09-18-2023, 10:42 AM

Faster, more power, and new. All good points. I was hoping to put it together for less $, and I don't mind the challenge and hassle of tracking down all the parts. I'll for sure check it out. Thanks

Old 09-18-2023, 09:30 PM
Senior Chief

A rusty set of donor doors with PW is the way to go. I’m about to do the same thing but got lucky because a friend of mine has PW and wants to go with roll ups. No idea why as I consider PW essential equipment in a second Gen. Reaching across the seat to crank while driving is a pet peeve of mine.

Old 09-19-2023, 11:53 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Pw tracks

I think I have a few sets of tracks with motors if interested bought in a little lot for my formula. It came with an extra hood for my car and I got extra oem glass. I believe they are early set but I don't know. They need to be cleaned up and oiled then tested. I can get you better pics if you like
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	16951388669733246620978079504140.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	620210   Click image for larger version

Name:	16951389118428926109752370826170.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	620211  

Old 09-19-2023, 07:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

A little FYI on used motors and building from scratch. I repaired PW at the dealer. 4 - 5 year old systems usually had weak motors, and or bad switch contacts, and often windows didn't go up all the way. Did I say SLOW?? Yeah slow as molasses... smoke and heat..
I often saw melted wires in the console, and fuse box BAT terminal.
To build a used system I HIGHLY recommend you modify the wiring harness to use 4 NEW relays. This saves the switch and wiring, and the motors. Everything will work better and faster if you do this mod.
Spend some time in the nasty Z 28 forum looking up power windows. There are diagrams, etc on how to modify your harness.
The relays do NOT fix a weaked motor.
If your time is worth anything, you will spend more doing an original system , with mods and switch, than buying a new set. Good luck.

Old 09-20-2023, 11:28 AM

Default power windows

All good valid points. The car will be a major project once I start on it. I'll have several months, or longer to sort it all out. I'm starting with the body which will take a lot of time before getting to the windows. As much as I like using original parts when possible, I'm definitely leaning towards the new complete kit and add relays as needed. By nature I'm more of a builder than an installer. Sometimes I make fun of my buddy's and his mail order hotrod. But I've seen my share of slow, week motors, and windows that needs a hand, (literally). Thanks

Old 09-20-2023, 11:19 PM
Suspended

Regardless of a stock component swap or aftermarket, the relay upgrade is a no-brainer. Inspect the aftermarket kits in detail, most are for converting manual to power using some existing parts, not direct replacements for worn out power originals or power doors, without extra mods.

Old 09-21-2023, 08:06 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The relay upgrade is a huge improvement, I've done a few over the years.

She woke up sunny side down and I was still thinking I was too proud to flip her over
Old 09-21-2023, 10:04 AM

Totally agree.