Old 05-21-2024, 09:05 AM

Default Repair frame holes

I just removed the body from my 67 GTO a couple of holes For the body bushings are Rusted out It must be repaired I've ordered Washers To repair the Holes. I had already fixed A couple on the back while doing the trunk repair. I used a hole saw to cut the frame and welded in the washers. It was a pain to cut the hole, the hole saw walked all over the place. My question, is why can't I lay the washer on top of the frame and weld it in place? It won't be factory correct But I don't care I don't see why it won't work. The holes are outside front.

Old 05-21-2024, 04:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The only problem I can see is if the washer is too thick it might throw off panel alignment. A body man could tell you if it will made any difference. Could you weld the washer inside the frame?

Old 05-21-2024, 05:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Drill a 1/4" pilot hole in the middle of a piece of steel. Make the piece big enough to overlap the rusted section. Then tack weld the piece with the 1/4" pilot where you want the patch hole. Now you can use a hole saw without it walking. After you drill the big hole, grind the tack welds off. Now weld your washer in. Probably a dozen ways to repair it flush. That's just one way to do it with your washers.

Old 05-21-2024, 09:37 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

You can lay the washer on top of the frame
The washer is no more than 3/32 - 1/8” thick
It will not throw off the panel alignment
I have used this method on 3 previous GTOs I have restored.