Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 06-15-2024, 01:51 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Well, I don’t have any photos to post but a year later I finally dealt with this. I began to develop a binding issue with the clutch pedal and linkage that got worse. I found that the clutch fork was essentially rotating forward when the pedal was pressed and then making contact and the end of the opening where it comes out of the bell housing. I believe my too contributors were the fork and what I found to be the junk TO bearing.

Yesterday I pulled the trans and today I got the new fork and a new pivot ball. I opted to reuse my old one since the new one was shaped oddly. More mushroom like than rounded. Even though the new fork and old look nearly identical there must be some difference in the geometry because even without a test drive yet the pedal feels completely different. Also put in a different TO bearing.

Just wanted to finally provide some update and a thanks to all those who chimed in.

Brian
Old 06-15-2024, 08:55 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

One more update. Was finally able to go for a test drive and wow. What a difference. Difference in the pedal, shifting was smoother (though not a problem before) and even the majority of the chatter I was chasing is gone now. I’d have never guessed there would be such a change jist by changing the fork. It’s like driving a different car.

Brian