Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 06-16-2024, 09:02 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Front oil pan bolt drip?

I just rebuilt my 455 with a new one piece pan gasket, one piece rear main seal and a new 64-69 oil pan. I’ve got no leaks from the rear.

I’m getting one or two drops on my floor from one of the front most oil pan bolts. Has anyone seen this before or have any ideas? I was going to try to clean it and pump some rtv in and get a bolt with one of those round heads with a hex above it and a rubber washer. Try that combo. Any other ideas?

Old 06-16-2024, 11:37 PM

Have you seen this thread?

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=874161

The Following User Says Thank You to VCho455 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2024, 09:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Z View Post
I just rebuilt my 455 with a new one piece pan gasket, one piece rear main seal and a new 64-69 oil pan. I’ve got no leaks from the rear.

I’m getting one or two drops on my floor from one of the front most oil pan bolts. Has anyone seen this before or have any ideas? I was going to try to clean it and pump some rtv in and get a bolt with one of those round heads with a hex above it and a rubber washer. Try that combo. Any other ideas?
Are you sure the leak is coming from the bolt/hole itself? Or trickling down from higher up? Many times it can be the gasket itself where the corners meet the timing cover gasket or even the front crank seal in the timing cover. Good idea to try wiping it all clean with brake clean then idle or short drive & check if there is a trail of oil from somewhere else.

If it is the bolt, some good RTV like ultra black or a O-ring washer might help.

Last edited by 78w72; 06-17-2024 at 10:39 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to 78w72 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2024, 09:43 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78w72 View Post
Are you sure the leak is coming from the bolt/hole itself? Or trickling down from higher up? Many times it can be the gasket itself where the corners meet the timing cover gasket or even the front crank seal in the timing cover. Good idea to try wiping it all clean with brake clean then idle or short dive & check if there is a trail of oil from somewhere else.

If it is the bolt, some good RTV like ultra black or a O-ring washer might help.
I'm about 99% sure it's coming from the bolt hole itself. Definitely not the front crank seal or the corners. There's maybe a 1% chance it's coming from the pan gasket above the hole, but I think it's from the hole. Thank you

The Following User Says Thank You to General Z For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2024, 10:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Mines doing the same thing. It runs down the stud and doesn’t get on anything but the swaybar and the ground when I am parked.