THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 06-13-2024, 10:10 PM

Question Repro vs NOS fuel filters: Opinions?

I need a GF-61P for my '63. Repros are available from Ames and CPR. The CPR ones look more correct to me (color-wise, that is, for my '63). On eBay, there are NOS filters available at similar cost.

I'm wondering about the wisdom of using a (potentially) 60-year-old fuel filter vs a new one. My concerns range from the condition of the filter substrate, to its functionality as compared to today's filters, and the ever-present ethanol concern.

Any opinions or experiences to share, here? I'd love to *not* gum up my carb, just as I'd love to not waste money on an old filter simply because it's NOS. I show the car, yes, which is why appearance is important to me, but I also drive the car, and want to be able to enjoy it.

Of course. the third side of the coin is that I know not what quality filters the repros may be, so they may not do much in the way of "filtering," either.

'63 Bonneville Convertible
'56 Safari
'82 Firebird SE
Old 06-14-2024, 08:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have used several Ames reproductions without issue. One note of caution, make sure there are NO fuel leaks around the filter. Gas takes off the paint and part numbers almost on contact. At the crazy prices they get for them, it can quickly become a $10.00 generic filter.

Old 06-17-2024, 10:07 PM

Great tip about the gas and the paint! Thanks much for that.

Appreciate your experiences with the Ames repros for these. I just sort of got to thinking that on my daily driver (where fuel filters are impossible to find: 2006 Cadillac STS-V), for my other filters I've gone kind of nutso with K&N's (had to order a now-discontinued K&N air filter for that car from a guy in Japan who happened to have two left). I got on the K&N kick because I started doing some research into filtering capability. That put me in a mode to question the wisdom of using old-old filters and what actually goes into some of these other new ones of "questionable pedigree."

Of course, this car has survived many a discount filter over the years, so I probably shouldn't be overly concerned.

Thanks again!

'63 Bonneville Convertible
'56 Safari
'82 Firebird SE