Tri-Power Tech 57-66 Tri-Power Talk

Old 06-22-2024, 03:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default New engine, tripower changes?????

Current engine is 400 cubic inches about 350 horsepower and has a 1962 tripower. It is a 4 speed car with 3.42 gears. The combination seems to be dialed in pretty good at this point. New engine will be installed later summer/early fall. It is a properly coded 11B 62 389 than now has 459 cubic inches. Hydraulic roller cam and in the 500 horsepower range. It has the KRE d port heads and 10.2 compression ratio. I haven't decided on the intake but will likely use a 65 intake for the newer bolt pattern and keep the existing carbs. This should allow me to use the proper 62 tri power air clearer.... instead of the 3 separate air cleaners. The other option would be to use the KRE tri power intake setup for the smaller center carb however I have no idea if tri power air cleaner will fit this combination. In any event, I don't know anything about the current tri power setup other than it works good. If I go with the a 65 intake what changes (if any) should I anticipate making?

Old 06-25-2024, 08:02 AM

Smile

That sounds like a fantastic build! If you go with the '65 intake, ensure your existing carbs fit properly, and verify if the '62 tri-power air cleaner has enough clearance with the KRE heads and increased displacement. You may need to tweak the linkage, fuel lines, and possibly retune the carbs for optimal performance. Additionally, check that your fuel pump and cooling system can handle the increased demands of the more powerful engine. Overall, the '65 intake should work well with some adjustments. Good luck with your project!

Old 06-25-2024, 02:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If your Tri-Power ran well with the 400 engine, but you're going to 459 cubic inches and a healthy hydraulic roller, the carbs need to be calibrated to work with that combo. If you provide cam specs, I can guide you through carb calibration, or you can send me the carbs and I'll do the calibration in my shop.

Basicallly , the changes needed are---idle tubes enlarged from .032" now to about .046". Idle bypass restrictors (stock is .043" or .046") to be enlarged to about .052". Center carb jets about .063" End carb jets .071" or .073". Throttle base idle adj. holes enlarged to .078". If the cam is fairly radical, the center carb throttle plates need to have holes to allow idle position to be proper for idle circuit.

Send me the cam specs, and we'll zero in on exact changes needed.

'64 GTO Tripower Hardtop (Wife's Car)
'64 GTO Tripower Post Coupe (My Car)
'99 Bonneville SE Sedan
Old 06-25-2024, 03:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Dick, .046" idle tubes? I´m sure its a typo and you ment .036".

JMHO

http://gtoaa.org/
Old 06-25-2024, 08:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Boneske View Post
If your Tri-Power ran well with the 400 engine, but you're going to 459 cubic inches and a healthy hydraulic roller, the carbs need to be calibrated to work with that combo. If you provide cam specs, I can guide you through carb calibration, or you can send me the carbs and I'll do the calibration in my shop.

Basicallly , the changes needed are---idle tubes enlarged from .032" now to about .046". Idle bypass restrictors (stock is .043" or .046") to be enlarged to about .052". Center carb jets about .063" End carb jets .071" or .073". Throttle base idle adj. holes enlarged to .078". If the cam is fairly radical, the center carb throttle plates need to have holes to allow idle position to be proper for idle circuit.

Send me the cam specs, and we'll zero in on exact changes needed.
Thanks for the info. I may just send them to you after I do a trial fit. Picking up the engine some time this week. Still haven't decided on the KRE intake or 65. Trying to keep it on the stealthy side but would probably pick up a few horses with the KRE intake plus drop quite a bit of weight.

Old 06-25-2024, 08:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Am hoping the 62 air cleaner works....got a lot invested in it....lol!

Old 06-25-2024, 10:07 PM

You should call KRE and ask if the carb spacing is the same as a factory Tri-Power.

Would make a lot more sense if it did for the Rochester style top so reproduction linkage and fuel lines could be utilized.

With the 1965 intake your 1962 big car air cleaner fitting is a slam dunk.

Old 06-25-2024, 10:23 PM

The spacing of the carbs is the same. Wasson and I fitted up some modified Rochester carbs to one about a year ago for some dyno testing at KRE. We were also concerned with stock linkage and fuel line fitment in case the spacing was changed. Turns out Jeff and company had already taken all that into account and the factory spacing was retained.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6425.jpg
Views:	436
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	635925  

Old 06-26-2024, 12:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Good news about the spacing being confirmed. Jeff told me he thought it was spot on. Makes the decision easy.

Old 06-27-2024, 09:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenth View Post
Dick, .046" idle tubes? I´m sure its a typo and you ment .036".

JMHO
The OP noted his engine will have a hydraulic roller cam and 459 cubic inches. He's aiming for 500 hp, which means the cam will be fairly radical.

I've restored Tri-Powers on many Pontiac engines. Very few owners retain the factory cams, which changes the requirements for the idle circuit, jetting, and power valve. In this case, the cubic inches will grow from 389 to 459, which also changes the carburetor calibration.

The numbers I posted for idle tubes, idle bypass restrictors, throttle base hole size are not typos. These numbers are based on experience, not conjecture.

'64 GTO Tripower Hardtop (Wife's Car)
'64 GTO Tripower Post Coupe (My Car)
'99 Bonneville SE Sedan
Old 07-03-2024, 09:28 AM

Default KRE intake

Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazy View Post
Current engine is 400 cubic inches about 350 horsepower and has a 1962 tripower. It is a 4 speed car with 3.42 gears. The combination seems to be dialed in pretty good at this point. New engine will be installed later summer/early fall. It is a properly coded 11B 62 389 than now has 459 cubic inches. Hydraulic roller cam and in the 500 horsepower range. It has the KRE d port heads and 10.2 compression ratio. I haven't decided on the intake but will likely use a 65 intake for the newer bolt pattern and keep the existing carbs. This should allow me to use the proper 62 tri power air clearer.... instead of the 3 separate air cleaners. The other option would be to use the KRE tri power intake setup for the smaller center carb however I have no idea if tri power air cleaner will fit this combination. In any event, I don't know anything about the current tri power setup other than it works good. If I go with the a 65 intake what changes (if any) should I anticipate making?
I worked with Jeff at KRE and built modified carbs for the Rochester Dyno pull. I can be reached at 309-360-6385 Mike Wasson