Old 07-02-2024, 06:02 PM

Default Preheater Shroud for RA IV

I have had great difficulty installing the inner and outer preheater shrouds onto the block on the driver side of my RA IV engine. After disconnecting the rag joint, jacking up the front wheel to reduce weight on the control arm and backing in the front bolt which attaches the upper control arm to the frame, I was able to move the steering shaft out of the way. I acquired the inner and outer shrouds from Ames, but I had to do some bending of both pieces and enlarge the bolt holes on the outer shroud in order to finally get them to mount onto the head bolt studs. Others have told me this was not an easy task and I totally agree with them. I cannot get the steering shaft to go down enough to where it can be reconnected to the rag joint. The steering shaft is bumping against a protrusion on the outer shroud which about lines up with the right side of the spark plug for cylinder #3. I think this protrusion is necessary for the shroud to clear the midsection of the exhaust manifold which handles the exhaust from #3 and #5. Since that protrusion is 3 or 4 sides coming to a point, the only way I can see to make it fit is to heat the protrusion and somehow lower the problem point, but do it in a way that the inside of the amended shroud will still clear the portion of the exhaust manifold that serves #3 & #5 exhaust. Sawing off the problem point would leave me with a unsightly hole in the shroud. Does anyone have any suggestions re: how to proceed? Any better experience with a outer shroud acquired from someone other than Ames? My exhaust manifolds are repros I acquired about 25 years ago from either Ames, Performance Years or RamAir Enterprises. Does anyone recall whether those repros were a little larger than the originals.? Probably a quarter of an inch is all I need to get the steering shaft to avoid hitting the protrusion on the shroud.