Interior TECH Upholstery, Carpet, Dash, Headliner...

Old 07-21-2024, 10:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Cracked dash

This crack has been there since I got the car 3+ years ago. If it's gotten bigger over time, it's not by much. I'm wondering if there's anything I can do to fix it short of a complete R&R? The rest of the dash is in really good shape. There is evidence of prior repairs that are less than perfect but nothing bad enough that it bothers me.

https://youtube.com/shorts/gG15nb4FWeo?feature=share
Old 07-22-2024, 09:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Should be able to drill a very small hole at the end of the crack to stop it from getting longer, then use some felxible filler like 3m or SEM for plastics or endura materials to fill it flush, then use a model paint brush with a matched paint.

Another trick if the area is wide enough to need it, is to get a small piece of the textured vinyl off a bad dash and press it on upside down to the partially cured filler to create a texture to match, but that thin crack should look OK just filled.

The Following User Says Thank You to 78w72 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2024, 01:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've had good luck with Polyvance Padded Dash Filler (similar to a bondo), but a repair using that product will involve both sides of that small crack so you'd have to be careful to avoid smoothing out the texture in that area. You might also be able deal with that crack using superglue or something similar...could experiment if you have a core dash pad lying around. If you can fill the crack successfully, there are folks who do an amazing job matching color and shooting with an airbrush...can ask car dealers and high end interior/resto shops who they use.

Old 07-22-2024, 02:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks for those ideas. I particularly like the idea about drilling a hole at the end to stop it. That sounds good.

Things I've considered include superglue. I've used this product before for repairing damage to guitar finishes. They sell colored powder that you use to tint the glue They have a blue that I bought that looks like you could get it pretty close. I'd have to experiment with that a bit. But I wondered about how well that would hold up over time? If it would stay bonded and how well it would resist extending the crack..

https://gluboost.com/store/

Then I found this stuff. It's clear. I could also experiment using the Gluboost tint. I think it would stick better to the vinyl or whatever the dash is made of. But, it may be too soft. I'll have to try some on a surface and see how it sets up.

https://www.loctiteproducts.com/prod...1OHL029W6.html

I figure I may try the tint, realizing that I may still end up needing to paint it. I was thinking that if I meticulously apply it just to the crack and taping off around it, the area to paint would be very small and not too noticeable.

All just ideas since I've never done anything like that before.

Old 07-22-2024, 03:04 PM

Leave well enough alone.

It’ll look worse after you mess with it.

That’s probably the only minor imperfection on that entire car, stop focusing on it.

If you’re feeling rich and ambitious replace/reskin the dash.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to b-man For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2024, 03:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-man View Post
Leave well enough alone.

That’s probably the only minor imperfection on that entire car, stop focusing on it.

Yeah, that's probably not a bad approach, and probably why I haven't focused any attention on it so far.

And I really appreciate your comment about the car. But she and I do have our little secrets. She does photograph very well.

The Following User Says Thank You to jhein For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2024, 09:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-man View Post
Leave well enough alone.

LOL, this is what I was gonna say.

Old 07-23-2024, 12:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

That's what I'm going with.

Old 08-01-2024, 08:36 PM
Senior Chief

Vinyl repair kits are easy to use and come with different grain patterns on a piece of fabric. The kits have a bunch of colors, just mix until you have the right shade, fill the crack and then place the textured fabric over the repair and press the included heat transfer tool (after heating with hair dryer, heat gun, etc) over the area to cure it with the selected pattern. Done. Clean the area thoroughly first. I just finished making a cracked console look like new. Mine was black and your color will be harder to replicate.