Old 09-14-2024, 12:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Convertible top switch heat

Replacing my vert top and in process had an issue (this cropped up a time or two in the past) with my top switch being loose in dash and not able to lower top. I would have to press harder to get switch to activate. I removed spring retainer from back of dash and as I held switch, top was able to activate. But, as I held with fingers a bit toward back, I noticed switch was very hot and had to hold by edges as I activated it. Is this normal? Should there be extreme heat as it is an electrical device?

Old 09-14-2024, 01:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

A switch will get hot if there is a poor contact in it. If it still works, perhaps add a relay or two controlled by the switch which moves the task of controlling the higher current load to the relays.

George

Old 09-18-2024, 12:09 PM
Senior Chief

Take the switch out and carefully disassemble it (not hard) and clean all the contacts, then reassemble. Should solve the problem. Or get a new switch.

Old 09-21-2024, 04:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks. I was curious if this was a fire hazard? I didn't look to see where the harness for it unplugs. Hopefully it's not hidden too bad if I decide to take it out. Right now my priority is finishing putting my new top on.

Old Yesterday, 11:33 AM
Senior Chief

The harness unplugs about 6" from the switch. The plastic parts of your switch would probably melt before any real fire threat. I just had a new top put on last week and it looks perfect. I give you credit for trying it yourself. My guy has been doing GM tops for 35 years and it still took him and his crew 3 days.

Old Yesterday, 08:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ok thanks. Ya, I did the whole frame off resto myself. Painted in garage and recovered interior in basement. The top was good, but a bit dirty and hard to clean white. The rear plastic window was a bit fogged too. It gets a stock glass one this time. One good thing about doing it myself is there are some things that had rusted underneath and am able to repair. If I had someone else take this on, it may have either cost more if they knew how to fixit or it would get passed over and put together. Many of my front header tangs that hold the tack strip on for stappling the front of top underside were rusted away (gone) or very thin. I had to make about 20 to replace. Was able to paint my frame too. I had replaced a top on my 80 Fiat Spider 124 vert, but that was easy as it was so small.

Old Today, 07:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjs72lemans View Post
...I had replaced a top on my 80 Fiat Spider 124 vert, but that was easy as it was so small.
My father and I redid the top on his 72 850 Spider; one piece.

Easier than my 71 Lemans and a hell of a lot easier than my 66 442!