Old Yesterday, 12:40 PM

Default 1965 GTO Console Install With Hurst 4-Speed

Hi guys. I am just putting the finishing touches on the restoration of my 1965 GTO console (4 speed car). The car left the factory with this console, but when it was restored some years back it was not re-installed. When I bought the car about 12 years ago, this console was in the trunk in a box and was neatly packaged.

So, I have not even raised the carpet yet to have a look, but I am wondering if there exists some type of factory literature out there that illustrates the proper measurements for install at the factory in 1965.

I realize I might have to just wing this install completely, and I am thinking it really won't be all that difficult. However, it would be great to have some sort of factory diagram with measurements, so I can compare my journey with how it was done at the factory.

I do have everything(I think) as far as brackets and screws are concerned. Ames was helpful on the few parts I needed.

Thanks!

Old Today, 07:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The front bracket should still be welded in the correct position, IF that portion of the floor pan did not need replacing. Maybe the original screw holes are also still available. You just need to pull the carpet back to see what you have. Good luck!

"Bill"!

Old Today, 09:29 AM

Hi Bill. Thanks for your reply. I never even thought about the original front bracket being welded to the floor from the factory. The reproduction front bracket bolts to the floor, so I just assumed that the originals might have been bolted in as well.

Anyway, all the more reason to roll back the carpet and do some investigating. However, I am in delay mode right now as the weather here has been great, so I want to drive the car as much as possible before we get five feet of snow and -40 temperatures. Just trying to do my homework now so I am ready when the seasons change.

Thanks again!