THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 06-17-2015, 07:29 PM
Suspended

Thumbs up Electric Ladyland

One of my all time fave albums, no matter if on vinyl, CD, DVD, MP3, Whateves!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	182.4 KB
ID:	400741  

Old 06-17-2015, 08:08 PM
Suspended

Cool Renaissance "Ashes Are Burning"

Any other Renaissance vinyl fans here?

Check this out http://youtu.be/XbBOS7HosaY

Completely forgot about the "Wishbone Ash" connection

Attached Thumbnails

Views:	91
Size:	152.9 KB
ID:	400749  

Old 06-17-2015, 08:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I always get them mixed up with Triumvirate. One of the two had some members from the Yardbirds, I think.

Speaking of the Yardbirds, here's a post-YB group:

Old 06-17-2015, 09:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just finished reading another biography, this one by Glyn Johns, sound engineer and producer for some of the greatest artists and albums of all time.

Johns relayed a story on how he was called in to record Jimi Hendrix at the Royal Albert Hall in 1969. It was to be a film and possible album. He said the acoustics were terrible at the Royal Albert Hall, the worst he'd ever heard. In earlier years, when The Beatles played there, they had small amps, and the screaming was so loud, no one could hear anything anyway. He told Hendrix before the show that he needs to swap out his amps for smaller ones, tone it down, else it will be a complete mess.

Hendrix agreed, but when he took the stage, he used the large amps and cranked it.

Glyn Johns was supposed to be manning the console, but when he heard how loud Hendrix was, he simply left and went home. After the show, Hendrix's manager ripped Glyn Johns for leaving. That show was the last time he spoke to Hendrix.

Glyn Johns also helped engineer Led Zeppelin 1, Steve Miller's early stuff, The Rolling Stones, The Beatles, and he produced the first three Eagles albums.

My Bio: I am currently writing articles for POCI's Smoke Signals magazine and enjoy promoting and discussing the history of the Pontiac Motor Division.
Old 06-18-2015, 09:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Not all CD's are created equal. Get a well sourced CD (from the original/restored master) and spin it in a top flight player. I use an Esoteric UX1-Pi. This player weighs over 50 pounds. While you can spend more, the players from Esoteric are among the best on the planet.
Just like in vinyl, it takes a well made turntable and cartridge (in the day, I was using moving coil cartridges), CD's also require a well made player to get it right.

Last edited by Tom McQueen; 06-18-2015 at 09:54 AM.
Old 06-18-2015, 12:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Playlist for the day

Tarkus was a 73 senior year HS album I had. Disraeli Gears is my all time favorite Cream. Gregg Allman Tour (74) I picked because I see him in 2 weeks. Somewhere along the trail I found a Tour Program from the actual tour. Anyone remember the naked girl ad from the day ?????

Old 06-18-2015, 01:17 PM
Senior Chief

Default OK, all y'all vinyl guys ...

... wanna see what your needle in the grooves of a record looks like under an electron microscope?

WOW! The grand canyon.

Ogre

Old 06-18-2015, 01:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The Grand Canyon of Analog! I knew analog was mountainous, deep, dimensional, and all, but the raw physics of it is cool. The groove in vinyl, to the analog waveform and then directly to hearing is so ying yang to digital sampling / encoding / bit stream routing / decoding / and finally converting to, holy mackerel, dreaded analog....

Old 06-18-2015, 03:39 PM
Suspended

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogre View Post
... wanna see what your needle in the grooves of a record looks like under an electron microscope?

WOW! The grand canyon.

Ogre
Yeah thxs, pretty interesting view

Quote:
Originally Posted by bird72 View Post
Tarkus was a 73 senior year HS album I had...

Is the Tarkus LP & music any good? Have been noticing that same album FS in used book / record stores is why I ask.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	80
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	400813  

Old 06-18-2015, 04:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I imagined a sperical needle, yet the photo shows a nail needle.

Old 06-18-2015, 05:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

IIRC, mine was an elliptical.

George

Old 06-19-2015, 12:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Playlist For The Deaf And Dumb

Brit Invasion Day for playlist

Alvin >>> ELP is weird for me, don't really like prog rock, like them though. I think it is odd mix of Greg Lake vocals / ballads and prog slant. As for is Tarkus a good one, it is one of those memory / time / place albums, so beats me! I like it.

And anyone seen early Beatles albums on Apple? I hadn't until I bought a bunch used from poor fellows widow..... In early 70's Apple re-released Beatles catalog on Apple label, early ones and all. There you go...............

Old 06-19-2015, 01:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes, Apple released the back catalog of Beatles albums after the company was formed in 1968. A lot of demand for early Beatles albums came when the whole "Paul Is Dead" story started a couple years later, and eager fans wanted to look for clues into the supposed death of Paul McCartney, so they began buying their older albums. That brought all the early LP's back onto the charts, much to the delight of EMI and The Beatles.

The "Yesterday And Today" cover was the one that was originally known as the "butchered baby" cover, and had The Beatles in a controversial pose with baby dolls and raw meat strewn all over them. That cover was pulled almost immediately as record buyers were shocked (even today, it's hard to believe that the most famous group in the world could issue such a vulgar cover, and this was back in 1966). Capitol reissued it with the "steamer trunk" cover that you see in your photo.

Original "butchered baby" albums that were sent back to Capitol had the "steamer trunk" cover pasted over the original using glue, then Capitol were sent them back to the record stores (it was deemed too expensive to scrap all the original covers, so they just pasted a new album "slick" over the original). In the next printing, they produced the cover properly and that has been in production ever since.

My Bio: I am currently writing articles for POCI's Smoke Signals magazine and enjoy promoting and discussing the history of the Pontiac Motor Division.
Old 06-20-2015, 01:55 AM
Suspended

Wink Why aren't they in the HOF yet?

So...I pull out my OEM ''80s Foreigner 4 LP and what a pristine flimsy floppy thin disc! Who knows what # reprint this is...

Good thing it's good sonic quality

Here's the playlist vvv
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	80
Size:	199.3 KB
ID:	400894  

Old 06-20-2015, 02:15 AM
Suspended

Thumbs up Jean-Luc Ponty - Enigmatic Ocean

So...digging thru the vinyl archives found this LP that is tagged as "sound guarded" 1-24-81 by yours truly, & playing now: Jean-Luc Ponty - Enigmatic Ocean

Attached Thumbnails

Views:	54
Size:	116.1 KB
ID:	400895  

Last edited by Alvin; 06-20-2015 at 02:22 AM.
Old 06-20-2015, 11:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I always thought "Head Games" was the best Foreigner album. The fans were sort of lukewarm when it came out, but over the years, the album has frequently topped the list of favorites by the band. IMO, I thought their first 4 albums were all fantastic.

Those early 80's super flimsy discs are unbelievably thin! They bend just when you're holding it by the edges to place it on a turntable. Reminded me of those Flexi-Disc giveaways they used to make for inserts into newspapers and magazines.

Old 06-20-2015, 11:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

First album by the guy in the lower left corner, Don Henley (1970). When he later met Glenn Frey, they joined Bernie Leadon and Randy Meisner to become the backup band for Linda Ronstadt. They later formed a band called The Eagles, and with David Geffen as manager and promoter, he signed them to his new record label. The rest is history.

Old 06-20-2015, 11:27 AM
Suspended

Arrow 1962-66 "Red Albums"

Cranked this up for morning coffee and breakfast...

Attached Thumbnails

Views:	51
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	400901  

Old 06-20-2015, 11:56 AM
Suspended

Serving this up this AM...

Song list HERE

Ironic?

Old 06-20-2015, 12:00 PM