Old 10-03-2009, 07:08 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregsgtos2 View Post
THE 1970 ALUMINUM RAM AIR V TRANS AM WILL BE AT THE MECUM AUCTION AT PHEASANT RUN RESORT IN ST. CHARLES,IL RUN TIME IS SATURDAY,OCT 3,AT 2.50 PM.THIS SUCKS BECAUSE THE MAGAZINE ARTICLE WILL COME OUT ABOUT 1 WEEK AFTER THE AUCTION.OH WELL,THE WORSE THAT CAN HAPPEN IS I WILL HAVE TO BRING IT BACK HOME!

Greg,
Your car looked great on the auction block today. Considering the '70 Ram Air IV Judge vert went for $350K and the '69 T/A Ram Air III got up as high as $80K, I thought for sure your aluminum T/A would have bid for more. I really think the bidders in that audience don't know what they are missing out on.

Old 10-03-2009, 09:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have no clue what it got bid too.My thought the engine should be worth 30ish K,THEN what is a non numbers matching restored car worth?Add the 2 together less the cost of a complete 70 RA III engine and that should give you a close number.Tom

Old 10-03-2009, 09:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Mecum website shows it was a no sale with the top bid at $70k,

Old 10-03-2009, 09:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

OUCH! That's an insult!

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 10-04-2009, 10:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

It did look good....

Old 10-04-2009, 10:30 AM
Suspended

i heard they did a nice plug on the car before the auction started.there are alot of pontiac people that dont know anything about a RAV engine,or the aluminum block.the article comes out in about 2 weeks in HPP.just going to let the rest of the car community get the word on what the car really is.TOM S,i really get tired of your TAKE of what my car is worth.i see you thought you gave your 69 ta away at 150k,so whats your problem?really dont need a answer,you can keep your thoughts to yourself,as far as im concerned.boss,hows that 71 doing?

Old 10-04-2009, 10:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Resting quietly right now - had a no show yesterday to check it out, and it seems everybody who does want it needs a note from their wife or mother to be able to buy it.

Greg, I have no doubt your car is worth equal to or more than Tom's - you'll get it, until then enjoy it!

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 10-04-2009, 02:14 PM
Suspended

tom s-since my ALUMINUM RAV engine is only worth 30k,let me know when you want me to come and get yours.dont worry about pulling it out,i want to hear it run,then i will pull it out myself.truck is in my driveway waiting to go.just give me the word,and im on my way.that would be great-i would have 3 ALUMINUM RAV engines,counting yours at 40 percent off the price of building one.thanks-thats a real nice deal!

Old 10-04-2009, 04:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

for the record Greg,I put no value on your car!BUT maybe the bidders did!I did say and believe your motor in my mind is worth 30ish K,maybe 39999 and still stand by it as I know what V parts are in or not in or on the motor.AND for the record I did sell my car for 140K with the correct numbers matching RA III engine AND the complete short deck 303 based engine WITH many correct parts such as carb,dist AND castiron exhaust manifolds and NEVER looked back.Good luck with the sale as I said to you,the more yours is worth the more my motor is worth!Tom

Old 10-04-2009, 04:44 PM
Suspended

they must have felt it was a little short too.have had 3 calls about the car today.the dealers are still trying to steal it.i will just wait for the new HPP magazine in a couple of weeks,and see what happens.tom,sounds like you may have let yours go a little too cheap. jmo

Old 10-04-2009, 04:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It ran for between three and four minutes.

You did get covergae in their commercial they ran two or three times showing upcoming cars...before it came on.
That was cool.

Who wrote the description for the car they read on the air...the facts?

jeff

Old 10-04-2009, 05:01 PM
Suspended

that was me.did not put down near enough info.i entered the car back in july,right when they started taking cars for the auction.i didnt put much down,because those spots go like wildfire.should have rewritten that before the auction,plus,i think they changed some of the things i wrote.the 1-3pm spots on saturday are the ones that everybody wants.the best part is,i can do what i want with the car now.once you sign up,if you dont show for the auction,they can still charge you 6 percent of your reserve.mine was 175k,that would be 10.5k to them if i dont bring the car to the sale.there is alot more to it than everybody thinks.if i sell it within 21 days AFTER the auction,the same thing applies.but,it least it over and i can move on.

Old 10-04-2009, 05:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

They said there was "international buyers" there looking at the RAIV vert.

I dont remember if I heard it on MECUM or read it on their website but it was said 54% of cars that dont sell at Mecum auction (on stage) do sell during the "and the beat goes on" .

Any publicity is good advertising.

They didnt talk about the rest of the RAV components enough or the car, which I thought showed really nice...bty.

The comment about PMD blowing the bottom out of the "developemental" alum blocks might have raised an eyebrow or two...lol.

Its all about marketing.....I bet you sell this car real fast....

Did the RAIV vert buyer look at the TA?

My two cents...fwiw...

Jeff

Old 10-04-2009, 05:35 PM
Suspended

the bottom end wasnt the main problem,they were running the blocks with no sleeves.a crack would develop in a cylinder bore and then it was all over.both of my blocks are sleeved.they also had problems with internal leaking.all aluminum blocks now get sealed,even the new ones now.when steve kauffman took the second block to get sealed,he said that there were about 5000 GM blocks there to be sealed also.this is stuff that they did not know about 40 years ago.both my blocks are sealed and sleeved.

Old 10-04-2009, 06:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hope your phone rings with the right price. It looked great.

Do you have the original eng for this car?

Dont think that was mentioned if so.

Old 10-04-2009, 06:33 PM
Suspended

that is why i used this car.low miles-south carolina car-non original engine.

Old 10-04-2009, 06:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Someone mentioned they thought it did.

Just checking.

We all want you to get your auction moneys worth....good for the Pontiac world...lol

Jeff

Old 10-13-2009, 09:40 PM
Suspended

magazine is out!!!!

Old 10-14-2009, 12:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Nice article, Greg!

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 10-14-2009, 02:18 AM
Suspended

i had a buddy call me today to say he got his---still waiting for mine.he said it was a very nice article and pic on cover.cant wait to see it!