Old 03-15-2010, 09:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Started the 4-wheel power disc brake conversion today. Oh brother, what a job. Turns out the car has the original upper and lower ball joints, stabilizers, shocks etc. Complete front end rebuild is now underway!

Old 03-16-2010, 12:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: The conservative enclave in a land of liberals; South Orange County, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67 LeMans 326 View Post
Started the 4-wheel power disc brake conversion today. Oh brother, what a job. Turns out the car has the original upper and lower ball joints, stabilizers, shocks etc. Complete front end rebuild is now underway!
Not trying to bust your balls or be a smart ass but you should start a new thread in the Suspension Forums...lot's of folks perusing that for info you're dealing with.

Word of advice - while everything is apart, get all the components powder coated. You'll thank me later.

Good luck!

Old 03-16-2010, 05:14 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I just found this post, nice car. It looks like you are having fun with all. I am interested in the cost of the disc conversion kit and where you purchased it. Also, I need to rework my console top. How much and where did you get the 67 console top parts?
I also need to weld the z-bar pivot bracket on the frame, as you do. When you add that pivot bracket to the frame- could you keep me posted as to the location and how you determined placement.
Also, I have to install a hood tach as well and the location and method of installation on that would also be helpful. I have attached some related photos that I have acquired from others on this forum, but mine is a long way from getting to these additions.
Any advise that you can give, or shortcuts to these applications would be helpful. Good luck with all, it looks like fun.
Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	clutch fork assebly.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	200266   Click image for larger version

Name:	zbarbracket65.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	22.0 KB
ID:	200268  
Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: pdf hood tach placement.pdf (61.2 KB, 134 views)

Old 03-17-2010, 08:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Ok, the 4-wheel power disc brake conversion is under way! The fronts WILL clear the 14" Rally I rims, ONLY because they are not originals, they are new repops. Most disc. conv. will NOT clear most 14" original rims as there is not enough clearence. So far, it looks like the backs are going to be VERY close, won't know for sure until we get further into the rears (tomorrow).

Also, we found the car had it's original upper and lower ball joints, shocks, springs, brake lines etc. ALL of which are now replaced. In addition, the rear axle bearings were shot as well and being replaced. Some of this we expected, some we did not.

Thanks for the powder coating advise. Did that on my last car (68 Firebird). Unfortunately, I just don't have the time with this car and also budget is already way over. I'll post more info tonight with more detail and mfg. etc. and also post it under suspension as well...

Old 03-17-2010, 08:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: The conservative enclave in a land of liberals; South Orange County, CA

Quote:

Thanks for the powder coating advise. Did that on my last car (68 Firebird). Unfortunately, I just don't have the time with this car and also budget is already way over. I'll post more info tonight with more detail and mfg. etc. and also post it under suspension as well...
Budget smudget...come on, don't be scared! All the other kids are doing it, you'll be much cooler, your parents won't find out, girls will like and you'll be much more popular....

Old 03-17-2010, 11:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by i4abuygto View Post
I just found this post, nice car. It looks like you are having fun with all. I am interested in the cost of the disc conversion kit and where you purchased it. Also, I need to rework my console top. How much and where did you get the 67 console top parts?
I also need to weld the z-bar pivot bracket on the frame, as you do. When you add that pivot bracket to the frame- could you keep me posted as to the location and how you determined placement.
Also, I have to install a hood tach as well and the location and method of installation on that would also be helpful. I have attached some related photos that I have acquired from others on this forum, but mine is a long way from getting to these additions.
Any advise that you can give, or shortcuts to these applications would be helpful. Good luck with all, it looks like fun.
Mark
i4abuygto:
The 4-wheel power disc brake conv. I am installing is from a company called CPP (Classic Performance Parts). I totally lucked out as this kit sells on their web site for $1099 plus shipping. Well, I happened to see it on Ebay one day with one day left with NO bids, so I bid the minimum $775 and won! Plus $75 shipping. I was taking a serious gamble as I have a brand new set of Rally I's with a brand new set of Diamondback red line tires, however, they are 14". Generally speaking disc brake kits WILL NOT work with 14" rims. But, mine are not originals and that seems to make a difference. So far anyway as the front are installed and do clear but WOW not by much! I am hoping the backs fit, will know by about 11am tomorrow and I'll report back.

The console parts I bought from Ames ($599). I must say, the quality is OUTSTANDING. By far the greatest repop piece I've ever seen. I will use the base from my auto console as it is absolutely flawless.

When I install the 4-speed stuff, I'll be sure to take SEVERAL pics. My friend Mike has done more 4-speed conv. that anyone I know. He owns 14 classics, 7 Vettes, 7 Pontiacs and they are ALL 4-speed cars and they did not all come that way originally. In fact, he is the original owner of a 68 GTO w/23k miles.

I too just installed a hood tach this past Sunday. This was the only part of the 6k in parts that I have bought in the past 60 days that came from our host (PY). I attempted to order several thousand dollars in parts from them, but, that's another story. Anyway, the tach did come with a template. I checked it against my other friend Dave's 67 GTO and the template was pretty accurate. The entire project was a breeze and took less than an hour. My best advise is buy a BRAND NEW 3-1/2" hole saw for this project. Do not use an old one. Luckily, I had both and was glad that I opened the new one as it went right through the steel and the underside webbing with NO problem at all. Oh yeah, also, use the template to mark your three holes. However, be sure to drill the 3-1/2" hole first as it WILL move on you as large hole saws always do. This way, you can then mark the two stud bolt holes off of the 3-1/2" hole you just drilled and they will be in the right location. I did mine this way by accident and good thing I did, as the two small holes would have been off had I drilled them where I first had them marked. And also, be sure to use us center punch to create a "divet" for the hole saw/drill bit so it doesn't wander accross your hood when you pull the trigger on the drill!!!

I am having my entire hood, hood tach and a brand new header panel painted hopefully next week as the original owner of the car who was 83 when he stopped driving the car in Dec. 08 had bumped into a few things and someone did a half ass repair on the hood and header panel.

Hope that answers your questions and again, I'll be sure to post tons of pics when all of these projects are completed...

Last edited by 67 LeMans 326; 03-17-2010 at 11:29 PM.
Old 03-18-2010, 02:34 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

67. Thanks for the info, your project is coming along nicely. Nice car. I am restoring a 67 GTO convert. frame off. I will be pulling the body off in a few weeks to weld the Z-bar bracket on. I do want to get that right and it will be much easier to weld with no body on the car.
I have done a conversion like this in a 73 chevelle automatic, I put a 67 Pontiac 400 4speed in that car. Nice setup - it needed a posi though, I couldn't keep it going straight when I punched it at 70mph.
I will be cutting the hole for the hood tach soon. I have a factory original hood tach - so I have no template. All I have is the document I sent to you, compliments of another member Tim John who has a very nice 67 GTO. I am setting up a rally cluster in the dash with no tach- the same as his.
As far as your disc brake conversion goes, it looks very nice. A read a past thread here recently about a member that sells a kit to convert the original drum spindles to disc.
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...12#post3012212 It seams like a nice way to go because the 14" wheels will still work. I believe thats his claim to fame. I guess I have many options available.
Let me know how the Z-bar bracket install goes for you. I will be cutting the hole in my hood soon. Can you post pics of the template?
I would also be interested in hearing the PY story of the parts you ordered. No need to make it public, you can PM me, or send to mark@firstclassdances.com
Thanks for your help.
Mark

Old 03-18-2010, 11:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Another day on the 4-wheel disc conv. and almost done. Will fill the system tomorrow & bleed. If all goes well, should be all set. The good news is, the rears do in fact fit with just a tiny bit of grinding on the caliper brackets. Had to grind off about the thickness of a piece of paper as the bracket was just barely touching the rim. I am very happy with the install thus far. I will repost the specifics, details & photos under suspension as I did run into a couple issues with the "kit"...

Old 03-21-2010, 06:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Installation is complete, however, I do have an issue with the rear brakes not getting engough fluid. Hopefully get it all resolved tomorrow and back up and running...

Old 04-04-2010, 08:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

A few pics from today:

Old 04-05-2010, 06:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up Great Pics

67'
Nice backdrop!
The Lemans Looks great.

Last edited by Jeff Hamlin; 10-26-2012 at 07:02 PM.
Old 04-05-2010, 07:29 AM

Default 67 Lemans

Quote:
A few pics from today:

Nice Car. I like the background.

If everything seems under control,your just not going fast enough. Mario Andretti

May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I Won't. General George Patton
Old 04-05-2010, 08:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks! This place recently opened and now has a car cruise once a month!

Old 05-13-2010, 08:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 66 Tempest Sprint

Old picture, I bought it new in May 1966 for $2237, back in the day Car sold 1970 for $600.
Photo taken at Dragway 42 West Salem, Ohio
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Pontiac Tempest 7.67.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	206338  

Old 05-13-2010, 08:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

66P,
Love it!
Is that Black or a Green?

Old 05-13-2010, 09:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Hamlin View Post
66P,
Love it!
Is that Black or a Green?
It was Midnight Blue! Looked great when clean, but crappy when dirty.

Old 06-03-2010, 06:15 AM

Sweet looking cars!!! 67Lamnas, I have a favor to ask, can you get some pics of your dash for me, like to see how yours looks to mine...where is your convertable top switch at?

Old 06-04-2010, 10:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Amazing what you find when you "downsize" Here another one of my 66 Tempest Sprint. Chrome wheels and redlines. Airlift bags in the back and twist in front spring spacers.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Tempest Sprint Mar 1968.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	208253  

Old 06-05-2010, 07:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Oh snap, That is Classic!

Looks like you where going for the 4X4 option

Old 06-30-2010, 12:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Here are a few updated pics. Had the hood repainted, installed new header panel, hood tach. Removed and repaired both grills. Also 4-speed conv. is now complete and the 4-wheel power disc brakes are working flawlessly. Installed an original 4bbl Pontiac intake and an original period correct Q-jet. Runs and drives great! Now on to the posi rear 3.55 and get rid of the open 2.56 rear. Also, going to intall a vinyl top, not sure to go white or black. Also will be replacing all the rubber seals (doors, windows, roof rails, trunk etc. as well as all new fuzzies (everything on the car are the originals and a bit dried out). Then last on the list will be to drop in the mighty 461 and the car will be my ultimate Pontiac machine!

Last edited by 67 LeMans 326; 06-30-2010 at 12:34 AM.