THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 06-21-2024, 06:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/jR_ql...?feature=share

Old 06-21-2024, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 59safaricat View Post
Pay reflects wisdom and quality. These stores only want for fork out minimum wage and they get exactly what they pay for....a bunch of stoned/drunk dumbasses that don't care. Honestly, I don't blame them.

The auto repair industry had become a joke. Shops want to pay 1980's wages while raking in nearly $200 an hour in some places. I wouldn't recommend the automotive repair field to my worst enemy at this point.
They must have been paying good back in the 80's then. If I wanted work more than 50 hrs a week I could easily make $250k at my dealer.

The Following User Says Thank You to brad900 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2024, 09:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ID67goat View Post
You can test it yourself,…..all you need is a set of jumper cables and a battery…..
We did bench test it , was dead

Was just double checking

New starter installed and working

Now a fuel issue.

The new build is kicking my butt

Below motor destroyed last fall

469, 6X-4's, 72 Intake, Ramair Manifolds.
3 inch exhaust with x-pipe
Custom Roller Cam, 1.52 Roller Rockers
Quadrajet done by Cliff
3:42 gears

12.061 @ 110.74
12.092 @ 112.43
12.128 @ 111.71

New motor

461 stroker
Edelbrock 87 cc dport heads
Performer RPM
Same Ram Air manifolds, and quadrajet

Results will be posted after the track
Old 06-22-2024, 09:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad900 View Post
They must have been paying good back in the 80's then. If I wanted work more than 50 hrs a week I could easily make $250k at my dealer.

How Dealer Mechanics are legally Underpaid.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAjR5tVVlqg

Finding a mechanic is literally IMPOSSIBLE right now!

Old 06-22-2024, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KS circutguy View Post
How Dealer Mechanics are legally Underpaid.

Finding a mechanic is literally IMPOSSIBLE right now!
Legally underpaid So you think $250k a year is underpaid? In 1982 the avg tech made $8.46 hr, convert that to today, $26.71. Yeah I make a lot more than that. Yeah it's hard to find any young person that wants to do any manual labor, they want to sit at home in front of a computer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2024-06-22 111107.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	635727  

Old 06-22-2024, 11:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

You must do a lot of flushes.
As a 72 yr. old retired Master Tech I've never heard of a "legit" Tech making 250K+ a year.Ever.
News to me even today,with all mostly warranty work.I have several friends that still wrench for a living but they still say the real money is with the independent shops.
Not in my day,100k was tops,and they were the guys doing what we called "Wallet Flush".
You know, trany flush,PS flush,coolant flush,fuel injection flush ect.
Not saying that's you just my personal experience.
Cars of today are not really made for repair,they are made to last till warranty period and flush.lol
It's a job that is no longer desired by today's youth,and I can't blame them.
It takes years to get to big money level.You spend your day's freezing or sweating.
Tool bills that never end,and vehicles engineered with the last priority to be repaired.

Old 06-22-2024, 11:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

You guys are comparing techs to counter people at AutoZone.
Personally my local NAPA had an old guy who could find anything, if it was available. Got out the old dusty catalogs when necessary. Then he retired. Ugh
Living rural like I do now, I have one local parts store. Luckily he’s old school and pretty knowledgeable. I’ve found it best to do my own research and go into a parts store armed with my own info and part number, then give them the part number myself. Otherwise I order of the internet.

71' GTO -original 400/4-speed/3.23 posi
13.95 @ 102.1 on street tires @ 4055lbs.

‘63 LeMans- ‘69 400 w/ original transaxle. 2.69 gears.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 67drake For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2024, 11:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My guy at NAPA retired as well.
Only had 1 usable hand-arm, but was the best.
It's a joke at his old store location now.

Old 06-22-2024, 07:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Same at NAPA here,some of the standard small parts no longer available. Most Guys mean well for the most part. Seemingly because not enough sales or profit I guess. Like the cartoon on net .I need 36" of heater hose,what yr,make model of vehicle?

Old 06-23-2024, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KS circutguy View Post
You must do a lot of flushes.
As a 72 yr. old retired Master Tech I've never heard of a "legit" Tech making 250K+ a year.Ever.
News to me even today,with all mostly warranty work.I have several friends that still wrench for a living but they still say the real money is with the independent shops.
Not in my day,100k was tops,and they were the guys doing what we called "Wallet Flush".
You know, trany flush,PS flush,coolant flush,fuel injection flush ect.
Not saying that's you just my personal experience.
Cars of today are not really made for repair,they are made to last till warranty period and flush.lol
It's a job that is no longer desired by today's youth,and I can't blame them.
It takes years to get to big money level.You spend your day's freezing or sweating.
Tool bills that never end,and vehicles engineered with the last priority to be repaired.
Well I guess you were working on the wrong car brand then. Power steering flush, none of our cars have had a hydraulic steering for 10 years, they are all electric & even when they did there was no such thing as a flush. Also no such injector flush. We follow the required service interval per the manufacturer , so when you say "Wallet Flush" you mean perform the required services, yeah I do those because most people who spend $200k-$300k + on a car want to keep it going. All mostly warranty work? I would say 30-40% is warranty along with CP service. If they are not made for repair then how am I making a living? Nobody is freezing or sweating, climate controlled shops. Tool bills that never end?? 95% of my tools were bought 27 years ago, every now & then you might have to buy something new but I bet I don't spend $100 a year on any new tools( yes Snap-on or Hazet).

The Following User Says Thank You to brad900 For This Useful Post: