Old 11-06-2011, 08:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

so regarding the license plate on the front bumper, do you have an option on the letters and numerals? In part of it I see P421 and I think that is quite a coincidence! Is your car equipped with an AM-FM radio or AM-only?

Old 11-06-2011, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine-Ear View Post
so regarding the license plate on the front bumper, do you have an option on the letters and numerals? In part of it I see P421 and I think that is quite a coincidence! Is your car equipped with an AM-FM radio or AM-only?
not a coincidence, for part of the license number you can choose which combination you want, but the LER is obligatory. I was originally gonna go with "HO421", but unfortunately that does not fit on the smaller plates as the H at the end is obligatory for an oldtimer registration.

I could register it normally, but omitting the ending H that way would mean up to $1500 more in tax each year..

so I went with P421, which can be with a little imagination P(ontiac) 421H(O)

original radio was AM only, but Steve was so kind to already replace that with an AM/FM.
(and Steve, it seems the radio was working fine all along, I think it was the speaker select switch causing the static and other crackles. I moved it back and forth a number of times and the problem has almost gone away)

Old 11-06-2011, 09:27 PM
Senior Chief

Great looking wagon!!

Old 11-06-2011, 09:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Question HOW Much annually????

Quote:
Originally Posted by 421safari View Post

I could register it normally, but omitting the ending H that way would mean up to $1500 more in tax each year..
Whewwwww, HOW MUCH each year??? So how much is the annual registration fee in Germany each year for your car and does it vary from location to location and from car size to car size?

Over here, I have my '66 Grand Prix on what is termed a 90 day permit. That costs me A$104.00 annually. For that money, I can drive it anywhere without limits for up to 90 days a year. I have to fill out and sign a logbook each day I use the car.

How many days have I driven it since February (when the 90 day scheme was introduced). Try only 7!!!!! I'm ashamed of myself

Ian

Old 11-06-2011, 09:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 421safari View Post
not a coincidence, for part of the license number you can choose which combination you want, but the LER is obligatory. I was originally gonna go with "HO421", but unfortunately that does not fit on the smaller plates as the H at the end is obligatory for an oldtimer registration.

so I went with P421, which can be with a little imagination P(ontiac) 421H(O)

original radio was AM only, but Steve was so kind to already replace that with an AM/FM.
(and Steve, it seems the radio was working fine all along, I think it was the speaker select switch causing the static and other crackles. I moved it back and forth a number of times and the problem has almost gone away)
That radio had worked perfect in the 64 Catalina wagon that it was in. It also worked fine when I first put it in the 66, but started acting up a short time after. It appeared to have been recently repaired.
Did you replace the front speaker?

Old 11-06-2011, 10:01 PM
Senior Chief

Damn nice car. Autobahn driving in style.

May the torque be with you.
Old 11-06-2011, 11:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Mein Gott Im Himmel! Wait until you pull into the passing lane and flash some little VW and then give those rochesters the boot! Green this, MF!

Old 11-07-2011, 01:46 AM

Thumbs up Safari

Man thats nice,so kool,just luv it!!,I just bought a pretty decent 66 Bonn wagon,not home yet,but soon

Old 11-07-2011, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heybuck View Post
Whewwwww, HOW MUCH each year??? So how much is the annual registration fee in Germany each year for your car and does it vary from location to location and from car size to car size?

Over here, I have my '66 Grand Prix on what is termed a 90 day permit. That costs me A$104.00 annually. For that money, I can drive it anywhere without limits for up to 90 days a year. I have to fill out and sign a logbook each day I use the car.

How many days have I driven it since February (when the 90 day scheme was introduced). Try only 7!!!!! I'm ashamed of myself

Ian
The tax is dependent on emission class x motor size...

For my yukon (with a 6.0) it is still ok because it has a relatively good emission class to go with the 6 liters and I pay $500-600 a year. I would not know in which class the 421 would go, but I suspect in a lot worse one which means the tax can double or triple.

Shorter permits are possible here as well in several forms, but they also have limitations and once you get the oldtimer permit the tax is not that high. I think I pay somewhere between $150-250 a year now.

Old 11-07-2011, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevep View Post
That radio had worked perfect in the 64 Catalina wagon that it was in. It also worked fine when I first put it in the 66, but started acting up a short time after. It appeared to have been recently repaired.
Did you replace the front speaker?
The last drives I used it it worked fine for hours. So probably the switch was just dirty. If it comes back, I'll clean it better.

I haven't replaced the front speaker yet, really haven't done any work on the inside. Just the tripower, manifolds, exhaust (front part to match manifolds), rear shocks, some other minor things that were a no-pass issue (parking brake, lighting etc) and the oil spills.

Once the house is little further along and I can have the car at home year round I'll start to make some progress there.

I did have a (very good) local painter have a look at the car to fix some minor chips and the underhood area in the future and he was contrary to his own expectations quite severely impressed with the current paint. (and the car itself)

Old 11-07-2011, 10:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Very cool. Congratulations! That is one sweet ride, 421...

And Backally, you'll have to start a thread and show off your '66 Bonnie longroof. Us wagon-fans are always curious!

Old 11-07-2011, 11:58 AM

Nice to see that there are other fullsize Pontiacs around in northern Germany...
Around here i have mainly to deal with the Mopar crowd (however, the 455 is always good for a few surprises)

Should you be in the Hamburg area feel free to say hello (especially as i also have a rear main seal with incontinence problems and would be interested in your solution...)

Helge
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_OBO6759klein.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	262696  

Old 11-08-2011, 03:16 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Someone more from Pontiac Germany ... very nice!! Nice Station !!! Great looking car ..the real clean machine .. made in Germany ..
Perhaps we see us on one of the german US Car meets !!
Cheers, Bjoern, germany , cologne

Old 11-08-2011, 03:18 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Just saw that you have the trouble underhood light .. can you sent me two pics of these parts .. first where it`s mounted on fender and where exactly the switch is mounted? Would be great !! I have the part in my garage .. never mounted .. because i didn`t know where ...
thx, Bjoern

Last edited by 1965 Pontiac Parisienne; 11-08-2011 at 03:33 PM.
Old 11-08-2011, 03:31 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default rear main seal

Hi Helge,
rear main seal:
.. yes i have done all gaskets new to my 389 .. pulled the engine, cleaned, inspect, new valve train and all the things ..all new, but not the rear main seal because it was dry and many people had troble with the new modern seals, Viton, .. the old have aspest in and thats great! If the old works let it in place ..

After driving the car the first 200km after rebuild it starts to leak ( 1cent area after a week)
The mistake i made was to use modern syntetic 10W 40 oil ..thats agressive to the old main seals .. i changed to Mobil 10W 40 now .. till today it`s dry under the 65 Bonneville 389 ..
If it will further leak next year (car is storage during winter time) i will try to use the www.lecwec.de/

Hope it helps ...
Bjoern

ich
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helge71 View Post
Nice to see that there are other fullsize Pontiacs around in northern Germany...
Around here i have mainly to deal with the Mopar crowd (however, the 455 is always good for a few surprises)

Should you be in the Hamburg area feel free to say hello (especially as i also have a rear main seal with incontinence problems and would be interested in your solution...)

Helge

Old 11-08-2011, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1965 Pontiac Parisienne View Post
Just saw that you have the trouble underhood light .. can you sent me two pics of these parts .. first where it`s mounted on fender and where exactly the switch is mounted? Would be great !! I have the part in my garage .. never mounted .. because i didn`t know where ...
thx, Bjoern
It'll have to wait a bit because I don't think I'll visit the car before retrieving it after the winter. But I'll be happy to make as many detail photos as you need. Just help me a bit remembering to do it coming next spring

I'll probably be visiting some meets in the area here such as Hannover. I'm not sure I'll be as far down as Köln, but one never knows..

Old 11-08-2011, 09:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1965 Pontiac Parisienne View Post
thx, Bjoern
Hi Bjoern,

The light mounts on the passenger inner fender up close to the top. If you look carefully, you will see the 3 dimples in the metal which are the positions where the screws go.

If your car has A/C, the oil dip stick bends around the back of the compressor and the underhood trouble light is very close to the end of the oil dip stick.

For the switch, my STRONG advice is to forget about it and wire in a hidden switch so you can turn it off and on as and when you might want to. But to explain the switch position, it mounts on the firewall, right in the middle and is activated by opening the hood. The switch bracket is right above the distributor and is simply a pain in the a**e. It's right in the way and what is the use of it anyway? What us the good of the light being on all the time when the hood is open?

Remember, the underhood light is NOT like the trunk light. The underhood light is either off when the hood is closed or on when the hood is up. The trunk light also works the same way but you can easily turn it off by only partially opening the trunk.

I've got some spare underhood lamp "glasses" if you need one. It should be glass but I had a couple made in plastic. Often the glasses are broken so the plastic works well.

I can send you pictures of how I mounted my underhood light if you need some?

Regards, Ian

Old 11-08-2011, 10:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heybuck View Post
I've got some spare underhood lamp "glasses" if you need one. It should be glass but I had a couple made in plastic. Often the glasses are broken so the plastic works well.
slightly O/T but does the '66 underhood lamp glass look more cone shaped with a partially red-painted feature? By contrast the trunk glass is only about an inch (sorry, 2.54mm) or so tall with a flat top, right?

Old 11-09-2011, 01:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine-Ear View Post
slightly O/T but does the '66 underhood lamp glass look more cone shaped with a partially red-painted feature? By contrast the trunk glass is only about an inch (sorry, 2.54mm) or so tall with a flat top, right?
Yes Matt. That's exactly correct.

And I don't really understand why??? But I think it might have been a safety matter.

The underhood lamp has red painted on about a third of it and it's a cone shape. So, you can put the lamp down beside you in the dark if for example you are changing a tyre and the red part is to warn other drivers.

But the trunk lamp is flat glass. It can be used outside in exactly the same way but my guess is they stuck with the flat glass in the trunk so it is less exposed if you have a load in the trunk. Less likely to get broken. The trade-off on the flat glass is the red paint can't be applied.

By the way, the lamps (and the glasses) are interchangeable trunk to underhood and reverse. The trunk version has a Mercury switch to turn it off and on whereas the underhood has the aforementioned "stupidly located" push button type switch on the firewall.

Ian

Old 11-26-2011, 09:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up

Very Nice car 421 Safari.