Suspension TECH Including Brakes, Wheels and tires

Old 10-16-2007, 06:56 PM

what is a bop 12 bolt with 390 gear worth?other than what some one would pay.

Old 10-17-2007, 08:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

BOP 12 is probably an Olds 12 bolt and 3.90 gear set-up means it was in a 442. I am going to say $400-500.

As for cost breakdowns, this is what I do and what my rear axle builder charges me....have been dealing with this company for 15 years:

1. I supply the gear set and carrier........local yard charges me $75 for center section and gears.......I usually get 3.42-3.73 from any Suburban/Blazer. Posi carriers.....from any GM full size with the corporate rear....I use the GM carrier 410408...they are rebuildable and easy to get parts.

2. Rear axle housing $100-150
3. He charges a flat labor charge $200
4. Bearings, seals, etc $80-100

If I buy new gears.....US Gear is $160-170

Old 10-17-2007, 01:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by corn goat
what is a bop 12 bolt with 390 gear worth?other than what some one would pay.
To answer your question, need more info.

-Is the rear a '67. 68, 69, or '70 Type "O" Olds 10 bolt that is assembled with 3.91's?
-Or is it some sort of c-clip 12 bolt rear with a 3R u-joint flange?
-If a type "O", what year and ID code on the housing?
-Is the housing a clean & unpitted housing or a deeply rust pitted mess? Are the gears GM, or Richmond?
-Typically, '70 type "O" rears will still have good axles, as they are tapered axle bearing design, so seldom a reason to replace if stock powertrain.
- On the other hand, the '68 factory assembled 3.42 & 3.91 Anti-Spin typically will most likely need new axles....chewed up under the sealed axle bearings. Ordering a pair of new Mosers, & installing new axle bearings, studs, & inner seals will run an easy $425.

All the above will effect value.
Sold a totally restored '69 3.91 Anti-Spin earlier this summer. Very clean housing with reman posi & very nice original gears. Have a '68 3.91 Anti-Spin setting in the racks. It will need axles.