Old 10-13-2007, 11:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I seen those on the Year One Bandit at the Nat's,they do look good.

1968 442-gone but not forgotten
"Oh,you can think about it,.....but don't do it!"
Sheriff Bufford T.Justice
Old 10-14-2007, 05:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father&Son73T/A
I think rally II's look good on some cars but some cars just call for Honeycombs. ...especially if it's mine.

your car?it looks great,has just the right stance,most end up alittle to high.

Old 10-14-2007, 08:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffhanger

Yea, got a big pic of them rims now!
I know i'm gonna save up for a nice set of them!! hot damn are those rims SWEET or WHAT!

www.yearone.com
Very nice--bring this to a show--you'd be turning heads for sure.

Old 10-14-2007, 09:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wareagle
Very nice--bring this to a show--you'd be turning heads for sure.
Very Nice indeed....... but those tires will be trash if it ever actually got on the street.....

Old 10-14-2007, 10:53 AM
Senior Chief

It's funny, I was just looking at the used honeycombs I bought off ebay for my Formula, and was wondering if anybody had tried to cast them. A machined aluminum casting would be lighter and straighter. It would also be able to be balanced easier and you could use them everyday and not just for shows. The year one wheels look nice but I think they look too contemporary for my tastes.

I wonder how big the market would be for a reproduction of the 15 x 7 Honeycombs? Any ideas?

James

Old 10-14-2007, 01:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood
Very Nice indeed....... but those tires will be trash if it ever actually got on the street.....
They run these on the Year One Ban II & III--Same size --probably a very stiff shock-for body control.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1-314.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	107953  

Old 10-14-2007, 03:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971WARBIRD
your car?it looks great,has just the right stance,most end up alittle to high.
The springs are original,it may be sitting a little low and I notice some slight porporsing at highway speeds.
I'm afraid I'll need to replace them soon but I fear a too high ride height.

Old 10-14-2007, 03:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard61
It's funny, I was just looking at the used honeycombs I bought off ebay for my Formula, and was wondering if anybody had tried to cast them. A machined aluminum casting would be lighter and straighter. It would also be able to be balanced easier and you could use them everyday and not just for shows. The year one wheels look nice but I think they look too contemporary for my tastes.

I wonder how big the market would be for a reproduction of the 15 x 7 Honeycombs? Any ideas?

James
No doubt quality honeycombs NEED to be repo'd,I can't believe it hasn't been done yet.
By the way,nice collection you have there,I like the Buick and Olds compelation.

Old 10-14-2007, 07:29 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
No doubt quality honeycombs NEED to be repo'd,I can't believe it hasn't been done yet.
By the way,nice collection you have there,I like the Buick and Olds compelation.
Thanks, Its taken 20+ years to get them together. The pontiacs were the latest additions. I agree that a reproduction of the honeycomb is needed. I really am curious as to how many you guys think could be sold. It looks like the going price would have to be somewhere south of $585.00 each.

Thanks,

James

Old 10-14-2007, 09:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I agree with those that commented about the "2-D" look of these wheels. They just don't have the appeal of the originals.

Question for T/A Fantastic (or anyone else that can help): Is the picture of the Lucy Blue T/A yours? If so, I've got a question regarding the color of the wheels. The wheel color in the picture that you posted appears to be more of a gray than a silver. It may be the lighting, but I've got a low mileage '71 T/A in very good condition and the color of my honeycombs are nearly identical to those in the picture, yet most of the honeycombs that I see tend to be more silver in color. Which is correct, gray or silver?

Old 10-14-2007, 10:37 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

BLKBRD

The actual color of the honeycomb wheels is as you described. They do appear to be more gray-looking than the silvers that are found on a lot of the restored wheels today. The original silver color is a little darker and duller than the argent rally wheel color that has been used over the years. OEM makes a honeycomb wheel paint that is very close to the original formula and it looks like the color on T/A Fanatic's car.

Old 10-14-2007, 11:00 PM
Senior Chief

To those that asked. The color on the honeycombs is the OEM Honeycomb rattle can spray paint. Although pricey, it suited my taste. The backsides have the OEM Ralley "puke" green color. The car you see is a 1971 T/A (about 70% original), and for Father&Son73T/A, it has the original M-22 4-speed, and original 10-bolt 3.42 rear end. Definitely a fun car to drive! The paint is about 14 years old, and since I do drive it some (in good weather), there are some blemishes in the paint. Since the car isn't 100% stock, I can enjoy driving her some.

As to the "new" honeycombs, I also think they are too contemporary for my taste. I'd like an aluminum set, but in the same design as original (except maybe in an 8" width as well as the 7"). As to what I'd spend to get a set (15"), who knows but no more than $400 to $500 a piece.

Alan

Old 10-15-2007, 11:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
The springs are original,it may be sitting a little low and I notice some slight porporsing at highway speeds.
I'm afraid I'll need to replace them soon but I fear a too high ride height.
If you're happy with the ride height (and I would be if I were you), don't touch the springs. The "porpoising" has nothing to do with the springs (springs don't lose rate, only ride height, or "load"). It's all in the dampers, so get some good ones and you'll be all set.

70 Formula RA III / M21 / Lucerne Blue / Bright Blue
Old 10-15-2007, 05:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith k
If you're happy with the ride height (and I would be if I were you), don't touch the springs. The "porpoising" has nothing to do with the springs (springs don't lose rate, only ride height, or "load"). It's all in the dampers, so get some good ones and you'll be all set.
Thanks for the comments,and who would you recommend for the dampers?

Old 10-15-2007, 09:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Thanks for the comments,and who would you recommend for the dampers?
I put a set of Monroe Sensatracs on my last T/A, and they worked fine for cruising. A step up from the normal stuff that you can buy at the discount auto parts store for $13.99/shock, and which are usually junk. Many people seem to be happy with KYBs, too, although I have no personal experience with them. If your budget is not overly constrained, you generally can't go wrong with Konis or Bilsteins.

Old 10-15-2007, 09:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard61
Thanks, Its taken 20+ years to get them together. The pontiacs were the latest additions. I agree that a reproduction of the honeycomb is needed. I really am curious as to how many you guys think could be sold. It looks like the going price would have to be somewhere south of $585.00 each.

Thanks,

James
Every year at the SEMA show, all of the Chinese companies that make the knock-off versions of modern aluminum wheels are there with their representatives. I've talked to them and they say they can put a wheel in production starting from just about anything -- 3D cad, 3D physical model.... even napkin sketch. It would be interesting to shop around with an original honeycomb to see what it would cost to get a "repop" made in aluminum. Most of the knockoffs of modern 17 and 18 wheels go for $150 - $200 apiece, but they probably sell in higher volume than an old Pontiac honeycomb would. Not sure what the tooling cost to start up would be...

Old 10-16-2007, 09:47 AM
Senior Chief

My guess is that Yearone has already figured that the market isn't big enough for a repop cast wheel or they would have offered it. There would probably be no way to amortize the tooling cost. Especially if people really wanted multiple sizes to accomodate modern rubber, that means tooling for each size.

My guess would be that you would sell 20 to 40 sets a year if you were lucky. Too bad.

James