The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 12-27-2007, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8TV
Yeah, that's pretty rough. You could probably spend the rest of your life pounding on that one, but it's pretty stretched out, also... you'll need to do some major shrinking as well.

In that case, I'd try a new panel... (OPGI is having a sale... )

http://www.opgi.com/product.asp?topc...116&yearrange=
$448 isn't bad for a complete panel to the roof.

for the service, or lack of, that opgi gives buy the panel from our host if you go that route.

mike

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 12-27-2007, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by md1twal3
Can't say enough about how nice it is to get a view of the kind of work I will be doing on my project.

Brings a question....My trunk, quarter drops, inner and outer wheel housings and quarters are all very SOLID. The quarter took a shot to the wheel opening area. I have straightened most of it out, but to do it right, I need to get behind it and hammer/dolly it.

The outer wheel housing is also bent in slightly, and should be replaced. What are the chances that I can just remove the outer wheel housing, straighten the quarter, and then install a replacement wheel housing?

I am in the same boat as you...although aftermarket fulls are available for mine, I have a very solid factory quarter, with factory welds & seams still in place, just need some metal work...I hate to sacrifice that, but figure a wheel well would be nearly undetectable, as opposed to a quarter replacement, and of course, much less expensive.

Can that be done with a reasonable amount of effort? (I have the skills, just need some knowledge and opinions...
what i'd do, in your situation, is cut the inner outside of the center seam and drill out the spot welds in the 1/4 to well joint. you'll then be able to access the back side of the 1/4 to reshape it. when you reinstall the inner you can seam it at the previous cut and finish it out. you'll be able to save the oem 1/4.

if you decide it's stretched too far for your abilities then you can hang the aftermarket panels. i'll bet with some patience it'll come around tho.

mike

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 12-27-2007, 01:38 AM

good call - support the host.

Old 01-10-2008, 12:39 PM

S71 Update: Tonight, the guys were busy cleaning up the original chassis, grinding sloppy factory welds, adding new welds where needed, and planning for the addition of new steel to strengthen the frame.

http://v8tvshow.com/content/view/479/43/

Old 01-14-2008, 10:58 AM
Senior Chief

I might be missing somthing, but I don't see the advantage to strengthening the rear upper control arm where your "worker" pointed to. I mean sure you might be able to get it to flex without the bolt installed, but once the bolt is the the crossmember is what is going to be flexing.

Old 01-14-2008, 12:54 PM

You're right, it's not like adding some support on the upper mount is going to turn the car into a champion road racer, but in order for that upper mount to transmit it's energy to the crossmember, it shouldn't be allowed to move. How much did it flex? I don't know, but now it's fixed in place, perhaps tightening up the rear suspension another percentage point or two. Just a 10 minute add-on.

- KO

Old 01-16-2008, 01:09 PM

We finished the initial chassis boxing and shot the chassis last night. Back to black!

http://v8tvshow.com/content/view/483/43/

Old 01-20-2008, 07:43 PM

The follow up to the spot welding blog... here's some techniques on plug welding and using a commercially available electrical resistance spot welder on restoration projects.

http://v8tvshow.com/content/view/487/79/

Old 01-21-2008, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8TV
The follow up to the spot welding blog... here's some techniques on plug welding and using a commercially available electrical resistance spot welder on restoration projects.

http://v8tvshow.com/content/view/487/79/

I enjoyed this one, make sure you keepem coming.

Old 01-21-2008, 11:51 AM

Will do, 2 73's!

Old 01-21-2008, 03:20 PM

Here's the trunk floor, wheel house, and rear tail panel install on the S71 Olds. The sheetmetal work is nearly finished, as all we have left is the quarter panel repairs and the upper dash repair, and those are coming soon!

http://v8tvshow.com/content/view/490/43/

Old 01-21-2008, 08:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks for posting this info....EXACTLY what a novice like me is looking for! Keep the small details coming that are often not mentioned.

Last edited by PB; 01-21-2008 at 09:04 PM.
Old 01-21-2008, 09:22 PM

I need to get me one of those spot welders. I'd imagine they cost a few pennies.

Old 01-22-2008, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB
Thanks for posting this info....EXACTLY what a novice like me is looking for! Keep the small details coming that are often not mentioned.
Glad you find the info useful... that's what we try to do is show the stuff most other sources glaze over. Much more to come!

- KO

Old 01-22-2008, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcread
I need to get me one of those spot welders. I'd imagine they cost a few pennies.
They're not exactly cheap, but when you consider the time they save, they're worth every penny. Jeff Noland at HTP is the guy to ask... 800USAWELD.

Old 01-22-2008, 02:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

How about pulling out a dent? I've seen those things you weld to whatever you are working one...they are little posts that I guess you grab hold of to do the dent pulling? I'll look a bit deeper on your site, maybe you've already addressed that!
Pat

Old 01-23-2008, 01:27 AM

Yeah, that would be a cool tech piece to show. Unfortunately, we don't have any dents we're going to be pulling with stud spotter. We're going to be finishing the quarters and the dash replacement in the next couple days, then sending the car to the media blaster. Then it's fix the small dings and mud & paint. I'll see if there's another project in need of a dent pull we can show.

- KO

Old 01-24-2008, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB
How about pulling out a dent? I've seen those things you weld to whatever you are working one...they are little posts that I guess you grab hold of to do the dent pulling? I'll look a bit deeper on your site, maybe you've already addressed that!
Pat

do a web search on unispot. they sell an entry level kit and the studs are available at any good paint /body supply store.

http://www.autobodystore.com/stud.shtml

they save time and work well. carquest in this area at least has them in their sale flier for this 1/4.

mike

- Winston Churchill
Old 01-24-2008, 03:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike nixon
do a web search on unispot. they sell an entry level kit and the studs are available at any good paint /body supply store.

they save tiem and work well. carquest in this area at least has them in their sale flier for this 1/4.

mike
I bought one from Harbor Freight. Got a good price on it and it actually works well. Came with the slide hammer and everything. Used it a lot with the quarter that I have been working (posted in this thread).

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=3223

Old 01-24-2008, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike nixon

they save tiem and work well. carquest in this area at least has them in their sale flier for this 1/4.

mike
watch your local paper and craigslist. I bought mine a few years ago from a body shop that was shutting its doors.