Old 07-20-2009, 06:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by lighthouseman View Post
Make sure it is a company rig versus an IPC (outside contractor).
Meaning?

Old 07-20-2009, 08:18 PM

Just that in my opinions, the company trucks have a better on-time %, and the rate is a little lower (my experience) because there is no middle man, so to speak. The professional drivers do a great job, but since this is a matter of money (I think) it may save a few bucks to find a company with their own trucks and drivers. No offense intended.

Old 07-21-2009, 01:32 AM
Senior Chief

Default Transport? Where's the fun in that?

You all have good points in the transporting of the cars. My goal is fun more than the issue of "getting it home". The trip Hootsk made with his Kansas car has flared up the urge for me to do the same thing, just at least 1/5 the mileage. I have a 2002 Dodge ram that is completely capable of towing this vehicle home tommorrow. In fact. I brought several totes of tempest parts and tools with it here. I simply want the joy to be able to drive the car home. I have family literally stretched out from here in Tucson , az. all the way up to Manteca that can assist if any problems arise. Not to mention roadside assistance from my insurance company. The drive is merely for the enjoyment. The car will be kept here in Tucson and driven occasionally here by my father to help find quirks , or whatever problems that may arise. If the current drivetrain is found not to be reliable or repairable, than other options will be considered. In fact, this car may very well become my Arizona driver to keep here when I visit annually.I would like to keep it virtually rust free.

1962 Skylark convertible 215 4-barrel , auto
2009 G8 Sport red metallic, Onyx leather
Whatever else that make my way into the driveway
Old 07-22-2009, 04:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Scott, If you do decide to drive home with it, let me know & I will tag along for a while. I could meet you anywhere between Phoenix & Tucson. If you plan on going west on I-10, I could follow you as far as Quartzite, maybe further!

POCI.org
Old 07-23-2009, 12:38 AM
Senior Chief

Default Double road trip

Hi Keith,

That sounds like fun. It will be a while before I drive it home, but I would absolutely enjoy the company and the site of two tempests traveling together. It is going to be a while before I can even get registration for it. The past two days have been dealing with the DMV.I haven't had a chance to check on the other tempests in the area. I have found that my wagon does run,drive,stop and even steer. Needless to say it took some work and parts I brought with me,and thanks to some help from my father.

1962 Skylark convertible 215 4-barrel , auto
2009 G8 Sport red metallic, Onyx leather
Whatever else that make my way into the driveway
Old 07-23-2009, 03:02 PM
Senior Chief

*SNORT* somebody say my name? (wakes up)

Trailers are great, I love my rolling stock and we couldn't do this without them, but I wouldn't give up the drive I made earlier this year in the '62 215 convert for anything. If you can take the time, I say take the trip. Bring a camera:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hootsk/...7615183974453/

You meet all kinds of great, interesting characters, go places you might never have gone and make friends with people you otherwise might never have met (like azkeebler!). You never need a way to start a conversation, because the car gives you an instant introduction. Nearly everyone loves a classic car and has a story to tell. And by the time you roll into your hometown, you've got a fully operational car and you know every quirk and trick it's got. Hard to beat that.

Chuck

Old 07-23-2009, 08:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up

Chuck:

That traffic citation was hilarious!

Old 07-23-2009, 08:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I missed that!!!! You better get that tail light fix'd ASAP!!!!! Probably trying to make his quota for the day!!

POCI.org
Old 07-23-2009, 09:55 PM
Senior Chief

Heh heh heh. It's worse than that. We had just left the worst punk rock bar in Santa Fe (the only place that was open at that hour, I swear) and they pulled Bryan out and made him walk the perp walk. He passed, but for a few moments there he didn't look good and I wondered how I was going to get him out of jail.

The turnsignals/one brake light didn't work due to missing front lamps, fried relay, broken ring in the column and faulty slider switch under the dash. Azkeebler got me started with a right front lamp, I found the left one on eBay, Mr. Leonard Hagen at oldparts.com sold me the ring off a 62 Corvair, rockauto.com had a good relay and I'm still working on the slider switch. Until then it's daytime driving preferred and hand signals!

Chuck