Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 10-06-2009, 09:05 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

CRaigslist is weird even weirder are the people who respond to your ads.
I was giving away some free cookbooks and a guy called who wanted them so I told him to come on over and get them, I would not hold them. About 2 hours later this guy just opens to door to my house and walks in. He says loud, "I am here for the books" My dog Stewart who is a 90 lb boxer cleared the living room in 3 bounds and was about 1 foot from this guys throat, luckily I was close to to the door at the time and managed to grab him before he got to the guy. That was the last time that guy would walk in unannounced. Even funnier I always thought my dog was a pu%$# because he is always wimpy around people, he sure suprised me that day, I feel better having him home when I am not home. Craigslist is full of scammers and weirdos but thats what you got for a free site..

Old 10-06-2009, 11:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Friendly Tip:

I would'nt EVER let anyone know where you live or come over, unless you know them.

You are asking for trouble.

Some of the crooks now days work CL and other classifieds to see how your home is set up, whos there and what the lay of the land is like.

They may test you by walking in to see what happens.

I have read articles about someone coming in the front and getting the homeowner occupied and another person is let in back door, or slips in the front behind the first.

Anytime we sell off CL, we meet them at a grocery store lot up the street.

Kids furn and items used at a college sells quick, if near a college and you price it cheap, so I will put that outside in driveway, and tell them to meet me outside.

I never let them come into the house...use the phone...bathroom, whatever..."sorry its broken".

Its the times we live in.

Jeff

Old 10-07-2009, 02:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by pontiacpetey View Post
CRaigslist is weird even weirder are the people who respond to your ads.
I was giving away some free cookbooks and a guy called who wanted them so I told him to come on over and get them, I would not hold them. About 2 hours later this guy just opens to door to my house and walks in. He says loud, "I am here for the books" My dog Stewart who is a 90 lb boxer cleared the living room in 3 bounds and was about 1 foot from this guys throat, luckily I was close to to the door at the time and managed to grab him before he got to the guy. That was the last time that guy would walk in unannounced. Even funnier I always thought my dog was a pu%$# because he is always wimpy around people, he sure suprised me that day, I feel better having him home when I am not home. Craigslist is full of scammers and weirdos but thats what you got for a free site..
I keep my doors locked all the time. I feel it gives me the edge if some a-holes want in. I taught the old lady to do the same by sneaking up and scaring the crap out of her when I find the doors unlocked. I also tell her to keep her car doors locked at all times. My son and stepson (have keys) come over and just walk in. The dog goes ape **** and I don't stop her. It's pretty impressive. She of course mellows out as soon as she recognizes them.

“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”
― Calvin Coolidge
Old 10-08-2009, 01:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to poison heart

I keep my doors locked and my garage locked but if someone wants in it wouldn't be that hard. And we don't really have any neighbors so it would be real easy for someone to break in and steal everything undetected. Take a picture or write down their license plate if they do come to your place. That's what I'm going to start doing. Act like you're texting someone and text their name vehicle info and license plate number to yourself.

If someone breaks into your stuff soon after you might have a good lead for the cops.

1959 Star Chief 4 Dr HT dual quad 389 4 speed
1962 Pontiac Plain Jane Catalina

http://pontiac-59.com/
Old 10-08-2009, 05:34 PM

Why act like you're texting? Just take a photo of them and their car and tell them why.

That'll roust the crooks out in hurry.

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 10-08-2009, 06:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike nixon View Post
Why act like you're texting? Just take a photo of them and their car and tell them why.

That'll roust the crooks out in hurry.
When I was out of town some creepy foreigner called me several times about the Bonnie diesel. I explained to him I was out of town and he could not view it since it was parked at the house and not the shop. He didn't seem to like what I told him despite the fact I told him nobody comes to my house when Im gone and it would be just a few days anyway. Never heard back from him -

‘22 Toyota Sequoia V8
‘23 Lexus LS500 awd
‘95 Ford F-super duty 4wd 7.3 p-stroke
& countless Jeeps & off road vehicles.
Old 10-09-2009, 01:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to poison heart

I don't want to come off as some untrusting asshole. There are good people out there and I don't want to treat everyone as a crook.

1959 Star Chief 4 Dr HT dual quad 389 4 speed
1962 Pontiac Plain Jane Catalina

http://pontiac-59.com/