Old 07-06-2010, 04:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Here's a similar topic that may help explain the function of the ram air and a pic of upper pan...
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=623384

Old 07-06-2010, 09:13 PM

Thanks Robz for the thread link. I see that the OP had similar concerns as me that it isn't an ideal design as far as air flow goes. I have studied that diagram in my service manual and it is installed fine. Too bad they don't show a view looking from the front into the hood scoop with the flappers open.

The only issue I was trying to clear up was should the vacuum diaphrams mounted on top of the upper pan be in the path of the air coming in as you look in from the hood scoop. If you look at my first picture it was in the way and tilted. After further investigation I see that all RAIII GTO ram air setups have to be this way. They can't be up out of the way like I would think or otherwise they will be pressed against the underside of the hood and then still probably not clear. I removed my upper foam element and that fixed the tilt as you can see in my recent picture below. I'm going to trim a little out of the middle section of the foam after I return from vacation.

Mike

Old 07-06-2010, 11:45 PM
Senior Chief

Just wanted to mention that when I installed my upper pan and foam, it was a very (too) tight and impossible to crush. I spoke with a few guys on this board who have been incredibly helpful to me and to Scott Tiemann and all seemed to agree that the new foam is more dense than the old and it can cause dimples in your hood to appear. Thus, I removed the foam, made a line with tape (either .75 or 1.0 inches) and traced the line with a marker. Then, I cut it with a razor. Scott uses an eletric knife/turkey cutter. Anyway, it definately relieved a lot of pressure and I was able to reach up inside and arrange the foam with the pan in place. It was tight, but I could not do that without trimming it. It (the hood) still required a little readjustment and a knowledgable person told me its always best to get the pan in place before fitting the hood because it does cause some change and the pan draws the hood in when its screwed in place. I guess all cars are a little different and this seemed to work for me but I am certainly no expert.

Old 07-07-2010, 07:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

and all this work for basically 1-2 HP gain...OK the WOW factor is still cool...