Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 11-13-2010, 09:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Nothing but compliments for my heads, and they cost me one million dollars!

Good commercial dude. lol

Turbo 535, CV 1 heads.

Built by Cerralli Competition Engines

Tenth Anniversary (Van Nuys) restored.
Tenth Anniversary Barn Find (Norwood)
Both 4 speeds!
Old 11-14-2010, 02:02 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by pontiac jack View Post
Twenty-five years ago I paid Mickey $1,000 for my pair of hemi heads (bare). No real porting- I used the mill to true-up and match intake port-entry shapes. Happy with them? Definitely! Cost vs. performance? Not bad- if you ignore what the total engine package investment added up to! (e.g.- try acquiring old-style hemi rocker arms that will perform day-in/day-out to 9,000 RPM).

[I realize this isn't the sort of main-stream example you're looking for- I just wanted to add some variety...]
Pontiac Jack, your stuff is so cool it should be mentioned in every thread!!! Just look at the performance level Pontiac's were at in the early 60's with the parts Mickey was making!!! With all of today's tech, and wonder mills, (lol-told a superviser that 1 day while running a 4 spindle lathe and 3 dual spindle 4 axis vertical mills-at the same time)
we are still in many ways catching up to what was avalable with your parts then!!!

Old 11-14-2010, 02:14 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

This is what's on our car. The only difference is the valve seat material. Other than that, just exactly what is sold here. And I have to say that I have been impressed with what these heads have done. I would have never expected these heads to do as well as they have, and to last as long as they have with the abuse that we have put them through. Says a lot for the casting quality.

TQ

http://www.butlerperformance.com/pro...brock_cnc.html

Old 11-14-2010, 12:09 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65nss4spdGTO View Post
I have no idea how much money Brian has in his heads, but I hope it cost as much as the performance his engine has displayed, a good head porter should be compensated fairly for the effort put forward. Most people don't realize the amount of time it takes to produce higher end cylinder heads.

We have hours of hand finishing in our CNC heads, each one is flow tested at least once. If the results aren't achieved, the heads go back to the bench for additional grinding or valve work. It's the little details that make the difference.

Calvin Hill
Hill Performance
708-250-7420
....And this is why I chose Calvin as my head porter. He is a true professional and more than fair!

Boobs & bacon
Old 11-14-2010, 03:31 PM
Suspended

Guys, the purpose for the thread is to showcase performance people have gotten for the money they have spent on their heads.

Old 11-14-2010, 03:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by goquick View Post
Guys, the purpose for the thread is to showcase performance people have gotten for the money they have spent on their heads.
OK, sure it is
Maybe you should change the title then

Last edited by slowbird; 11-14-2010 at 03:53 PM.
Old 11-14-2010, 04:00 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
If that is the case then, every Pontiac Head Porter posts his 3 levels of head porting:

"Mild", "Average", and "Top Shelf" and the basic costs for the jobs.

Then you have the general information on what a PROPER Porting Job will cost you on a typical set of cylinder heads.

Asking a specific member to "spill his guts" on what his head porter charged for his specific heads means nothing. There could be a lot of "Extra Info" involved in the transaction and then the reader goes to the head porter and expects the same price. RIGHT.

JMO

Tom Vaught

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 11-14-2010, 04:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Byron I consider you a friend. Hate to call you out on this. However the title IS offensive. Offends me because it seems like a CV1 guy looking to put down other choices. You know I like the CV1 and agree with others that even if your intentions are meant different than they appear, it puts a negative light on the whole CV1 program.

Jim does NOT need that sort of attention. Never be negative in any way about a competitive product, just positive about your product is a key sales strategy that works.

The CV1's are coming into there own niche (as all choices do) and making there potential known. The results speak for themselves.

Slowbird has expressed that he is very satisfied. Thats all that matters.

Probably better to start a topic like "What head best fits what application for the $$" if "the purpose for the thread is to showcase performance people have gotten for the money they have spent on their heads".

Old 11-14-2010, 04:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Oh and Dragncar you need to rethink some of what you said as well. NOTHING wrong with out of box heads or Crate motors if they accomplish what you want at price you want to pay. Thats the buyers choice. YOUR choices are YOUR choices.

Old 11-14-2010, 04:32 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I paid Jim Robertson approx 2500.00 to do my heads and intake and gained over 200hp.It made 718 before and 937 after on pump gas,very good bang for the buck.I dont know if thats what it will cost someone else but thats what we worked out,the price is a phone call away.

Old 11-14-2010, 05:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceWilkie View Post
Byron I consider you a friend. Hate to call you out on this. However the title IS offensive. Offends me because it seems like a CV1 guy looking to put down other choices. You know I like the CV1 and agree with others that even if your intentions are meant different than they appear, it puts a negative light on the whole CV1 program.

Jim does NOT need that sort of attention. Never be negative in any way about a competitive product, just positive about your product is a key sales strategy that works.

The CV1's are coming into there own niche (as all choices do) and making there potential known. The results speak for themselves.

Slowbird has expressed that he is very satisfied. Thats all that matters.

Probably better to start a topic like "What head best fits what application for the $$" if "the purpose for the thread is to showcase performance people have gotten for the money they have spent on their heads".
Well said Bruce.

Making CVWHAT's great again. I guess it took a deplorable ECM member to do it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Cox View Post
Holly cow we must be some dume corn huskers here in indiana or somthing!!!

Fastest Blow-thru Pontiac powered car in the Country 8.440@166.97 (3465lbs)

Fastest Pontiac CV-1 car on the planet with only 6 passes on the combo: 4.80@147.65/ 7.49@180.12MPH (3365lbs)
Old 11-14-2010, 08:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggutknecht View Post
I paid Jim Robertson approx 2500.00 to do my heads and intake and gained over 200hp.It made 718 before and 937 after on pump gas,very good bang for the buck.I dont know if thats what it will cost someone else but thats what we worked out,the price is a phone call away.
I know someone who paid that just for the intake work. I would say you got more then your moneys worth.

Last edited by Gach; 11-14-2010 at 08:32 PM.
Old 11-15-2010, 10:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gach View Post
I know someone who paid that just for the intake work. I would say you got more then your moneys worth.
Gach. You can't make an open ended statement like that.

If one is close to getting the max performance out of combo, then yes it is going to cost money to get the little bit extra. Like they say it cost X amount to get so far, then it doubles for the next little bit, then triples.

Greg probalby already had some head work done on them to begin with. So the $2500 is on top of the original costs.

I think this topic makes no sense and proves nothing?
Tunnel minded visions only brought up on Pontiac forums.

Old 11-15-2010, 04:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

2008 GMC Sierra Denali 2WD Crew, L92 6L80E, Silver w/ Ebony guts, 14.26 @ 98
Old 11-15-2010, 04:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Greg probalby already had some head work done on them to begin with. So the $2500 is on top of the original costs.
Yeah but you don't know that to be true..your assuming that.

Old 11-15-2010, 04:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gach View Post
You should really clarify this statement as it sounds like you are implying that Robertson charged someone $2000 for just intake work. I HIGHLY doubt that is anywhere close to a true statement.

Spotts Built 484" IA2, Highports, EFI Northwind
Terminator X sequential EFI fabrication and suspension by
https://www.funkhouserracecars.com/
Old 11-15-2010, 04:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by PONTIAC DUDE View Post
From what I know they came to Robertson as cast with no previous port work performed (unless I'm thinking of another customer's heads that Jim did).

Spotts Built 484" IA2, Highports, EFI Northwind
Terminator X sequential EFI fabrication and suspension by
https://www.funkhouserracecars.com/
Old 11-15-2010, 04:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up

I know lots of people in & outside the Pontiac world that have paid over $2,000 for intake work. Just depends on how much HP ya want to make and how fast ya wanna go with your combo.

Old 11-15-2010, 04:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by R 70 Judge View Post
From what I know they came to Robertson as cast with no previous port work performed (unless I'm thinking of another customer's heads that Jim did).
Hera ya go
Quote:
greggutknecht g
Senior Chief

Default 541 what will it make
Ill be going to texas next weekend to have Jim Robertson dyno my 541,what ya thinkin.

Bore 4.375
Stroke 4.5
Rod length 6.565
Comp 11.1
Cam.750\.750 276/280 @ 50 114
Intake is a BOP ported by Jim Robertson
Heads are Kauffman HPs ported by Jim Robertson 2.25\1.75
Flow numbers are from a 4.21 fixture
.300 215 165
.400 280 197
.500 332 221
.600 381 242
.700 403 255
.800 409 270
Carb will be a 1250 hp unless i find something bigger.Headers will be 2.125\2.25\4.0 Hope it comes back in one piece.

Old 11-15-2010, 04:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by R 70 Judge View Post
You should really clarify this statement as it sounds like you are implying that Robertson charged someone $2000 for just intake work. I HIGHLY doubt that is anywhere close to a true statement.
Nop I said..I know someone who paid $2500 not $2000.00 just for intake work. doesn't imply Robertson anything.