Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 06-04-2011, 04:08 PM
Suspended

EDIT: It was the condenser fan fuse. The high side is going up to 150 lbs. Is that bad? I'm still not at half a can.

An unexplained problem. I finally got around to completing the install. Pulled the vacuum again, then went to install the first can of refrigerant and the compressor will not come on.
The vacuum was replaced in a second or two with some 'freon' uptake, and the high side gauge went positive fairly quickly--then nothing. I disconnected the pressure switch atop the dryer and tried jumping it. I got a little change in idle but no AC clutch kick in. The cooling fan doesn't kick on either. I'm looking at my connections and don't see anything unplugged.

Last edited by PonchoV8; 06-04-2011 at 04:23 PM.
Old 06-04-2011, 05:16 PM
Suspended

I cycled the AC off and on occasionally due to fear of building too much pressure, but it ended up at a little over 200 when I ws through. The AC is working and I saved about $800. The insurance company just totaled it due to hail damage. Perfect timing.

We're keeping the car.

Old 06-04-2011, 06:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by PonchoV8 View Post
I cycled the AC off and on occasionally due to fear of building too much pressure, but it ended up at a little over 200 when I ws through. The AC is working and I saved about $800. The insurance company just totaled it due to hail damage. Perfect timing.

We're keeping the car.
200 psi on the high side is good,,at highway speeds that will rise to around 250,,still within range.

Old 06-04-2011, 07:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Don't know if theis is true for a 2000, but for my 2008 Civic the manual says to run the engine at 1500rpm for 10 minutes and then read the gauges with engine still at 1500 rpm.

Old 06-04-2011, 07:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiedlerh View Post
Don't know if theis is true for a 2000, but for my 2008 Civic the manual says to run the engine at 1500rpm for 10 minutes and then read the gauges with engine still at 1500 rpm.
thats the norm since thats where the ac is at its highest pressure high reading and is at most of the time.
while im far from a ac expert but i see best results/readings at 1500rpm with 28low and 225 high.
but its an guideline as many things play into the mix

Old 06-04-2011, 09:10 PM
Suspended

The woman is quite happy to be back in her car and out of my 10-12 mpg truck!

Dr Drivability, thank you for the schematics/drawings and advice. wytnyt, thanks for the help too. I wouldn't have wanted to stumble through this without the information you guys provided. It was well worth the money saved doing it myself!

Old 06-05-2011, 01:54 PM

No problem, glad you got it sorted out!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3323983