THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 01-02-2012, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KS circutguy View Post
Never have a problem here with downloads on Netflix, have a 50meg cable setup!
I do however enjoy watching Top Gear..
x2 for top gear!

I have had netflix since 2006, I started out with multiple dvds at a time and then they introduced streaming which was included.

I bumped it down to 1 dvd and streaming but with the move I just stuck with the streaming.

I am not that happy with the streaming, titles I haven't heard of and has some shows I watch. Overall the quality of the content is not there.

I hear Amazon Prime is pretty good, especially for shows

Old 01-02-2012, 10:27 PM
Senior Chief

Default Cancelled last month

We just cancelled ourselves. Looks like Netflix is hurting long with Sears.

We enjoyed Netflix when we were catching up with missed episodes and older movies we haven't seen or enjoy. Now, the newer movies just aren't available for streaming. If TNT is playing a movie,I'd assume I could download it, but nope. Too new.

Yet,all year Netfix were declaring how much they want to do away with mailing dvds and only deal with download/streaming videos. Well, give us the movies to upload! Sad when local cable can provide same downloads.

1962 Skylark convertible 215 4-barrel , auto
2009 G8 Sport red metallic, Onyx leather
Whatever else that make my way into the driveway
Old 01-02-2012, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azkeebler View Post
We just cancelled ourselves. Looks like Netflix is hurting long with Sears.

We enjoyed Netflix when we were catching up with missed episodes and older movies we haven't seen or enjoy. Now, the newer movies just aren't available for streaming. If TNT is playing a movie,I'd assume I could download it, but nope. Too new.

Yet,all year Netfix were declaring how much they want to do away with mailing dvds and only deal with download/streaming videos. Well, give us the movies to upload! Sad when local cable can provide same downloads.
no kidding and on top of that they lost one of the only deals with Starz that put somewhat recent content on watch it now

Old 01-03-2012, 12:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I dumped streaming when they did the price upgrade. I could never find much to watch on the streaming anyway, and i wasn't going to pay for something i wasn't going to get. I still get the dvds; the wife is watching several tv series on the dvds currently. When that's done we may cancel the dvds as well.

Old 01-03-2012, 01:30 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I tried the one month free trial , when they had it .

I wasn't impressed , especially with the way they do the parental controls.

I didn't want my kids to be able to watch whatever trashy movie they wanted .

So... Canceled it before the free trial was up .

Old 01-03-2012, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by formula400 View Post
We cancelled them, they tried to raise fee to 20 a month from the advertised 8.99
they backed off that. You just have to pick streaming or mailings.

Movie companies are trying to screw netflix, Amazon's selection is way worse.

Netflix is pretty much the only streaming option out there and if you think about how much you pay for HBO or Cinemax a month, Netflix streaming is worth it.

These movie companies are trying to put the screws to all streamers.

Old 01-03-2012, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutrone View Post
I tried the one month free trial , when they had it .

I wasn't impressed , especially with the way they do the parental controls.

I didn't want my kids to be able to watch whatever trashy movie they wanted .

So... Canceled it before the free trial was up .
its not difficult...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4g0-oVfWJ4s

Old 01-04-2012, 11:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have to say they do have an amazing turnaround. We had two DVD's this weekend, put them in the mailbox yesterday (no mail on Monday) they've already received them and will be sending two out later today which we will get tomorrow. Not bad.

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 01-04-2012, 11:29 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Just think back to the days of renting a VHS for 3.50$

Shawn

"Don't let fatigue make a coward of you."
Old 01-04-2012, 01:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn e. View Post

Shawn
I laugh at that price. Blockbuster used to get $4.99 here and then late fee's to top that. They were making a killing and on top of the industry. But I guess what comes around goes around. They were too busy making tons of cash to see what the future was going to bring and let Netflix and Redbox take over the bussiness before they woke up and realized that they were going bankrupt.

I dont like to see any company go under, but Im not sorry to see Blockbuster sit there and fumble around trying to keep its head above water.

Old 01-04-2012, 01:18 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn e. View Post

Shawn
exactly, netflix is still a good deal if you watch episodes etc. like my wife does. But I have to admit, the movie selection is horrible for streaming, and you have to wait for many new releases on the DVD side due to whatever deal they have with the movie company.

As far as I know their selection on streaming is going to get WORSE after they lose Starz (I thought in January or thereabouts?)

Been thinking of trying the Amazon prime as well.

Most people I know are paying near $100 a month for cable, you can get free HD local channels with an antennae, much better quality than the horrible comcast picture we were getting on basic cable. Plus every channel now gets 3 channels so you have more choices, most run a 24/7 weather channel on one and classics on the other (Starsky & Hutch, A-team, Ba Ba blacksheep etc.)

Old 01-04-2012, 03:21 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikes2nd View Post
Ahh , now I remember . thanks for posting the youtube link.

Well , maybe I never figured it out. but...
When you have parental control set to lets say pg-13, then the wife and I want to watch a R rated movie , you go in to account and change it to R , you have to wait 6-8 hours ???

If that is how its set up , I can't deal with that ...

Maybe there is a simple way around that , I just never figured it out .

Old 01-04-2012, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kell View Post
exactly, netflix is still a good deal if you watch episodes etc. like my wife does. But I have to admit, the movie selection is horrible for streaming, and you have to wait for many new releases on the DVD side due to whatever deal they have with the movie company.
x2!

Their movie selection is not the best, but its great for the episodes, especially the children's selection.

Old 01-04-2012, 10:00 PM

new series on netflix only...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfRgVbp9gSY

and Arrested Development

Old 01-04-2012, 10:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:

and Arrested Development
DAMN that looks good!

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 01-05-2012, 11:10 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Internet services with unlimited streaming??

I have Sprint 4g and understand they are stopping the unlimited plan on the mobile Hot spot device, I have a Sierra Overdrive and it works decent but I am afraid to stream any movies because if I go over the limit its really pricey. I need a plan that's wireless so that I can use in in TN and for the time we spend in FL. I see that Clearwire has a plan but its not in my area in TN yet. Is there any I should check into? Thanks

Old 01-05-2012, 03:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:

and Arrested Development
Smart move for Netflix. Many people subscribe to a channel or service just for the show series. If it turns out to be a good show, you cant beat it for $8/month.

This has me wondering what else they have up their sleeve. They need to add more value to the service. Internet "TV" viewing will be the next big thing now that we are all streaming to our TV from the internet.

Old 01-07-2012, 12:18 AM
Suspended

Hey Paul - Question: How are you viewing (w PC or streaming Blueray)? We have had most recent Netflix account for the past year and mostly use it on our Blueray via streaming.
Reason I ask what platform, is that the few times we access it on the PC – it seems to be less new content there (on the PC) and fewer selections based on our previous “ratings” of titles. Seemed to be a lot of new movie releases available over the past summer that are now no longer available. Some times note that there is an “available until” tag on some of the newer movies.

Do you make a habit of “rating” each movie, show, etc. you watch on NetFlix? We have rediscovered a lot of “long forgotten” movies and TV series by using the “Love It” etc rating system.

CNet had an E-Article this week about Netflix planning on competing with HBO w the launch of their new series…and too they mentioned the slow down and blocking of movie studios newest releases to NF. Read that: Revenue Competition!!?

FWIW: We ONLY subscribe to the streaming Netflix option, and not the mail DVD disc. Simple reason is that, back in the Hollywood Video et al DVD rental days, I got tired of paying top $ for the latest movies on DVD and then having them “hang” because of smeg or other unknown substances/ scratches /etc. on the disc from previous users that caused the DVD to error out. F That!

Also, AMAZON PRIME - IMO: Don’t bother, unless you would like the option to “purchase” and archive some movies in digital format. The selection of streaming “1,000’s of movies and new releases” promised by them as one of their “Prime” members is much less satisfactory than those available via Netflix, Hulu, or HD Cable offerings IMO.

Old 01-07-2012, 08:53 AM

this can come in handy to see whats expiring and coming also...

http://feedfliks.com/streaming

Old 01-07-2012, 09:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I really enjoy the Netflix streaming and use it a lot more than I ever did the DVD service. For three people in my household with varying tastes in that kind of entertainment to be able to watch virtually unlimited content 24 hours a day is well worth $8.99 a month.
I have discovered some truly great movies that I never would have seen or even heard of otherwise. (I like films from the '60s and '70s, foreign and independent films, documentaries, etc.)
You do have to spend a lot of time looking through a lot of duds though.
60 to 70 percent of the movies I start looking at, I never watch more than 20 minutes of....but, at least I don't have to mail it back before I can try the next one.

I'm not usually into the 'latest releases' and such but I was pleasantly surprised just last week to find two recent movies on the list that I did want to see.... The 2011 version of "True Grit" and "Kill the Irishman"...both were great and were alone well worth the full month's fees..